Where am I bottlenecking?

Discussion in 'Newbie Lounge' started by jjo, Jun 14, 2012.

1. jjo

jjo Member

Upgraded graphics card to an XFX 7950 and am not sure I'm seeing the right performance gains in games (namely bf3)

With all settings at ultra or near maxed out im getting about 30fps on average. Should I be getting a lot more?

I playing at 1080p over DVI with a ping of 27.

Other hardware is in my sig but I'll write it out again

Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ stock clocks
    Game is on a OCZ SSD on SATA2
    4GB Corsair Ram which is at 90%-100% capacity when playing
    Graphics card is connected in a PCI-E 2.0 x16 slot.

Should I try an look into overclocking or start considering a new cpu and mobo?

EDIT: I upgraded from an ancient 9800GTX+

2. AudioFX

AudioFX Member

Your cpu would be holding things back a bit, turn down anti-aliasing and ambient occlusion, they are really taxing and are not worth having on max if your fps is struggling. (assuming you've just selected the ultra preset)
    Upgrading to 1155 with an i5 you'd probably be getting around 50fps or more

This is really the best case scenario for your card, as the test system is an i7 3960X at 4.2GHz with 16GB ram & a 250GB SSD

[​IMG]
    Yes to both

Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  3. Perko

Perko Member

Seconded, Frostbite is very taxing on both CPU and GPU, so either one can limit your FPS as quick as lightning.

I dunno about that graph though, I get similar frames to the 7970 one on those settings. I would expect the 3960X to pull a bigger margin on my 'old' 870... Especially for the price.

4. AudioFX

AudioFX Member

Could just be all the performance optimisations of BF3 over time

5. Perko

Perko Member

True, I'll take it anyway!

6. Frontl1ne

Frontl1ne Member

Watch out for those BF3 performance reviews, most of the time they're benching SP which is not CPU heavy at all.

7. maev

maev Member

Should really be pushing the CPU up. I think anything stock (espeiclaly with age) with bottlenecl newer tech, even if its percieved as powerful (as far as cores and clocks are concerned).

OC that cpu or get a 2500k or newer and clock it up to 4.8ghz or so (really easy), then your performance should shoot up big time. Ofcourse its all on your budget.

I personally ran the game on dead-low settings, but i cared about a smooth experience than the graphics, plus i know most others care more about graphics so they can put up with micro-lockups online and stuttering when things get messy and i know i won't be interfered, getting me the kill (if i still played the game).

For the SP experience, max it out all you want, though i never did that (though coop was fun), as i heard the AI was terrible, the story too.

(p.s, played the game for the first 2 weeks or so and haven't touched it since that 4gig original update to it).

8. Wozzernux

Wozzernux Member

Get another 4GB RAM, and overclock the shit out of that CPU :D:thumbup: your P45 mainboard will get that Q9550 to 3.6GHz easily, probably closer to 4GHz if it's a good chip. That's at least a 27% overclock over the stock 2.83GHz and trust me it makes a huge difference in newer games on a 775 quad.

I run BF3 at 1920x1200 with 4xAA, SSAO and all settings on high and get consistent 50fps+ all round my machine (specs in sig).

9. antikk

antikk Member

^this

get a cheapo aftermarket cooler and overclock that cpu and throw in some cheap ram