Where are the retro bargains? List here!

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by Cannula, Jul 23, 2015.

1. power

power Member

That's what it looks like to me.

2. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

3. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

time to join facebook it seems
    thanks for the heads up

4. partybear

partybear Member

The prices aren't cheap for that arcade sale, they are higher then ebay prices.

MUTMAN likes this.
  5. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

Collectors tend to overvalue their items which is completely understandable. Can be difficult to let go for cheap when you know how much time, effort and of course money you've put into collecting every single item you own not to mention the sentimental value. Unless there are pressing needs to sell I wouldn't expect to walk away with a bargain.

MUTMAN likes this.
  6. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

adz and sammy_b0i like this.
  7. bYrd

bYrd Member

Reminds me of the Ballarat computer museum auction last year, everyone was hoping for bargains however pretty much everything went for greater than online prices. I think knowing it was well stored, available right there and then, made the attraction strong to people - and that sweaty IRL nerd competition jacked up prices.

PsychoticOrc and MUTMAN like this.
  8. BiggusDickus

BiggusDickus Member

9. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

From the listing:

BYO bootdisk. :lol:

10. bYrd

bYrd Member

I was one of the "interested parties" :) He wouldn't sell me the computer for data security reasons, so I offered to help back up his data, but he reckoned I would then pay more for the overall setup! It's a cheap office IPEX system, you wouldn't be finding any gems inside. I'm done.

11. BiggusDickus

BiggusDickus Member

Well for $30 it's good buy just for the monitor, case mobo and cpu. The pics show a video card and sound card of some description. The video card has TV-out which indicates something half decent.

12. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

Winning bid $202, up from $45 in the final ten second skirmish. I hit my limit at $60. Congrats on the score if it was one of you guys.

I'd found a thread on this machine in the meantime, and it looks like a neat piece of Australian history to own. And a decent little gamer, with Mach64 graphics onboard and I believe an SB16 Value CT2770 + 2x CD-ROM as standard.

https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?t=42212

13. partybear

partybear Member

I bid on that osbourne but didn't win. I had a machine like that when I was in highschool I used it for years. I am a bit upset I didn't win but who could have guessed it would sell for that much. I wish I knew what I did with mine, I don't remember selling it so I am guessing it was binned :( I am always trying to buy back the stuff I had as a kid for whatever reason haha. Mine was identical to that one on ebay except mine was a dx4 100 and that was reflected on the front badge.

Pierre32, BiggusDickus and MUTMAN like this.
  14. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

The Osborne's are a great little bit of Australian IT History but unfortunately there seems to be very little about them on the internet. I picked up an Osborne 386DX PC last month from a member on here and haven't really been able to find much on it apart from the odd post about it. Interesting to see the 486 sold there uses a Mictronics motherboard which is the same motherboard brand as in mine. It seems they must of had a preference to use their motherboards or maybe some supply agreement.

FYI this is the PC I'm trying to get parts from A1usedcomputers.com.au. The motherboard in it is toast due to dreaded battery leakage. It looked at first like it might just be the one trace damaged but I ended up finding three but after repairing it still has no signs of life, no beeps, POST card gives me zilch. But as luck would have it A1 Used Computers look to have plenty of stock of this very motherboard **fingers crossed he has one without battery damage** but still yet to get a reply. :confused: I'm emailing him again today.

Frustrating because he also has some other stuff I need for this project but just can't seem to get hold of him. :(

15. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

Ah that's frustrating. Keep at him, maybe with a phone call during business hours too.

16. BiggusDickus

BiggusDickus Member

I obtained a 486 system last year for nostalgia reasons but will likely let it go in favour of a pentium MMX based system. Although I have fond memories of the 486 (and slower systems) from my teenage years I just find it a pain to work with nowadays. Given the limited space I have available I think a socket 7 system will be much more versatile.

What have other peoples experiences been with 486 and slower systems? Do you find yourself using them much once you've gotten the nostalgia fix?

17. slavewone

slavewone Member

Reunited Retro bargains in the garage today. During at tidy, I got within striking distance of some boxes I’ve not seen in a while: Several boxes packed in 2009.

In my one box of floppy drives (5.25 and 3.5) was a small stash of pci and early AGP graphics cards. I can now get my P2 450 working!

Most celebrated find is a USB hub that works on the Xbox 1 that miss 4 destroyed the front USB ports on.

Also found 2 PS1’s and a SNES that I know to be hard rubbish finds. I remember them working. I think one of the telly’s still has the right inputs, but the Grundig is gone :’(

Pierre32 and MUTMAN like this.
  18. Reaper

Reaper Member

I was going through some boxes this arvo to remind me of what boards I had and was looking through one I had most of my expansion cards in and found what I think was my only agp video card. Turns out to be a 5900xt 128mb, checked ebay, cha-ching. :D She's actually worth something. I've got plenty of pci and isa video cards and 2x vlb ones too.

19. Vanne

Vanne Member

which vlb vga cards are those? :)

20. Reaper

Reaper Member

Diamond Stealth 64 - s3 Vision864. Uses 2 chip per bank memory.
    STB vl bus vga 2155. Uses 8 chip per bank memory. Actually has faster chips on this one.

Vanne likes this.