Where are the retro bargains? List here!

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by Cannula, Jul 23, 2015.

1. Mistikal

Mistikal Member

2. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

Actually would of been around $66AUD all up as you forgot to add the damned import charges. Grrrrr still irks me they dropped the threshold. :mad:

That and the Aussie dollar has made importing from the US a bloody expensive experience. I haven't brought anything from there for a while now as anytime I find a bargain it quickly turns into the opposite when you add all the costs up. :(

3. shredder

shredder Member

Same here. Dunno how it is for oz, but here all the big sites now, for the past year or so, auto add GST and whatever (*can't remember if there is a whatever) at the final checkout stage. So that's auto +15%, and crappy exchange rate on top of that.

First world problem obviously.

Anyhow, that sound card is gone. Looked ok. I'm at the research stage where I don't yet know how that era's wavetable cards stack up against one another in practical gaming terms. Vogons is a whole other world.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
  4. BiggusDickus

BiggusDickus Member

There's a slightly better priced one here..

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ensoniq-VIVO-90DB-A-ISA-Sound-Card/254594926190

In any case, make sure you do your research before buying. According to Vogons this model requires a TSR for many games to work which severely limits compatibility. The better option is the Ensoniq Opus which can be had for just under $100.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ensoniq-4001030801-Rev-A-ISA-sound-card-Opus-Wavetable/264729898473

Out of all of the old wavetable cards I think the Ensoniq has one of the better soundbanks. The FM synth emulation is absolutely horrible though, so you might need a backup card for that.

Another option is to simply buy an ESS card with waveblaster header and save your pennies for a Dreamblaster X2 daughterboard. It's close to $200 all up but you get an extremely versatile one card solution.

5. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

It used to be import tax free under $1,000 with the excuse for it not being lower because it would cost more to enforce then they would collect which makes sense if you think about all the thousands of small value eBay/AliExpress etc transactions coming from China. But then it was changed a couple of years ago by the current government after much whinging and whining over the years from businesses such as Harvey Norman to the same online GST collection system which it sounds like you have other there.

But yes first world problems. I guess I'm just a little bit frustrated at seeing over the past few years retro prices going up, the dollar going down and having to pay GST which was put up to "protect local businesses" for items where there is really no local business to protect. On the plus side though the lack of recent purchases is forcing me to look back at the many purchases I've made over the years and actually get stuck into finishing the many projects I've started but not finished. :)

JidaiGeki likes this.
  6. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

Little tip for sound card shoppers: I've heard back from Mark at A1 today, who is back in the shop after his extended covid shutdown. The new website is not completely ready, but you can browse the old one and do business by email. He still has quite a stock of cards at nice prices. None of the super premium stuff, but plenty of ESS and Vibra units. http://www.a1usedcomputers.com.au/shop/prodList.asp?idCategory=39

(Worth noting that in the past his standard shipping method has been a $20 express satchel.)

rugger, breech, adz and 2 others like this.
  7. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

Awesome!! I've actually been meaning to message you to see if you've heard anything from A1 as I've been waiting for months to purchase a couple of items from him to get some projects sorted so I'm stoked.

Bugger doing work I've got an email to send! :thumbup:

Pierre32 likes this.
  8. BiggusDickus

BiggusDickus Member

Thanks for letting us know. I was browsing ESS cards on ebay and shocked to see the average price over $50! Just sent through a small order too.

Pierre32 likes this.
  9. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

Agreed. Paying GST on second hand goods of these sort of values is serious bullshit.

10. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

Finding exactly the same thing. Lucky to have made a few bigger purchases around 2015-2016 with a strong dollar and no GST collections.

What I also find frustrating is when I go to list things I'm not using for sale. I typically use the proceeds to buy other retro parts, but this means I have to list at what I think are relatively high prices... Otherwise can't use it to fund other things I want to finish builds.

JidaiGeki, adz and Flamin Joe like this.
  11. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

This might be alright, if you're up for replacing capacitors. AOpen AX4B Pro for $25pp: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/184291558266

Looks to be a solid 845E Socket 478 board for a Windows 9x / Windows XP AGP build - and the Dr. Voice feature sounds amusing!

12. power

power Member

these are not solid boards, the evidence is in the photos - NOTORIOUS for caps that leaked the minute you turned them on. Dr Voice sounds cool until it won't shutup because the board is rooted.

The ASUS P4B was a WAY better board to get your 845 on, however I would skip 845's and go straight to 865/875. Then you get the option of Northwood. P4P800 or P4C800 Deluxes -E if you want Prescott (but why would you?).

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
  13. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

18 years old and it still boots, can't be that bad. :lol:

14. power

power Member

posting =/= booting :D

amazed it lasted this long without ending up in a skip - unless that's where it came from.

15. power

power Member

16. mkusanagi

mkusanagi Member

17. bYrd

bYrd Member

In terms of image quality, yes, however very fragile and this model was notorious for failure due to a bad video controller board. Obviously this one survived so it’s not failing any time soon or the video board was replaced.

I recently merged two of these monitors into one good - a 1710 and 1710AV and wouldn’t do it again. As noted the plastics are so brittle, it’s massive on your desk. Sound is good though - another worry this one is reporting poor sound suggesting bad drivers and nigh on impossible to replace.

MUTMAN likes this.
  18. Cellsplicer

Cellsplicer Member

19. BiggusDickus

BiggusDickus Member

Has anyone got a response from Mark? I've heard nothing back since I emailed him on Wednesday last week. Doesn't seem to answer the phone either..

20. rugger

rugger Member

Yeah, I wanted to raid his online shop but it doesn't seem like he is accepting orders for now ... nevermind.