1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Where are the retro bargains? List here!

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by Cannula, Jul 23, 2015.

1. genxor

genxor Member

2. BiggusDickus

BiggusDickus Member

Well, no danger of dropping that case on your foot because it has wheels! Probably weights nothing too because of the aluminum construction.

3. Mistikal

Mistikal Member

The Lian Li is such a tempting buy, be nice to replace my current Lian Li...

4. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

5. Vanne

Vanne Member

Thx Pierre, along those lines, ive been on the lookout for a thunderbird slot A system, but all the ones ive seen are crazy prices...

6. Zubrick

Zubrick Member

am39l left.jpg

Pierre these really are a cute little case. It looks even better when the photo isnt rotated.

I managed to pick one up last week at a bargain price of $10 and I was surprised by how good it looks.The case is only 14" /360mm high.
    The case is quite well put together and the psu hinges out and the case backplate holding the motherboard is removable.

It was lucky all these parts were removable as mine was not working and it looked as if someone had emptied a vacuum cleaner of dust inside. The computer wasn’t booting, the fan spun up and the mobo light came on but that was it.

After a good blast with compressed air and a thorough clean it still didn’t work but the dvd drive and the floppy drive were OK, the two sticks of ram were OK but it was ddr400 which wasn’t supported by the FIC motherboard. Even replacing the ram with ddr266 sticks didn’t get it to boot.

So its either the mobo or the AMD cpu thats faulty, I don’t have another socket A mobo or cpu so at this stage I am not sure which is at fault. So I put in an old Intel mobo and cpu and its going fine. Like you said it is quite cute. Very happy with it especially for the price.

Pierre32 likes this.
  7. shredder

shredder Member

Looks like it needs some cap replacements on the mobo. One in particular, anyway.

upload_2020-8-3_14-58-7.png

(S)he's a bulger!

Hopefully that's not leakage at the base. Not sure what damage these things do (?).

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  8. badmofo

badmofo Member

Yeah I've wondered that - does the crap that comes out of caps do damage like a battery?

9. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

That one looks especially dire, but no real signs of corrosion.

The original Xbox clock capacitor comes to mind, which would leak from the bottom and badly corrode the circuit board. Nasty stuff.

10. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

It certainly can, depending on the cap. Some contain a non-solid electrolyte (typically a paste) that, if it leaks, can cause corrosive damage to nearby traces and components.

power and badmofo like this.
  11. power

power Member

always be sure to neutralise the acid from caps and batteries. Vinegar and lemon juice are good for this.

12. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

bicarb soda ftw

13. Grant

Grant Member

MUTMAN likes this.
  14. Vanne

Vanne Member

thanks the lords for solid caps.

MUTMAN likes this.
  15. rugger

rugger Member

Clean capacitor gunk with isopropyl alcohol ... or Metho if you want to be getto. It generally isn't corrosive enough to require specific neutralisation.

A good clean and resoldering of exposed solder points is enough.

adz and MUTMAN like this.
  16. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

My routine for original xbox capacitor leaks:

1. paint brush (carefully) and air compressor on the whole board to remove as much dust as possible
    2. white vinegar dousing to the affected leak area (typically that whole corner of the board)
    3. electronic solvent cleaner dousing (the green can from Jaycar)

I hold the board with the clock cap corner pointing straight at the ground and try to use gravity so the vinegar/solvent cleaner runs off the edge of the board. I use the solvent cleaner nozzle at close range and spray it from the inner area of the board towards the edge.

If I'm impatient I'll blast the board with compressor air again to dry it off quicker.
    I'm sure I could be more thorough but it eliminates the electrolytic threat.

The dust on the board can be an indicator or disguise as to when the leak occurred.

genxor, adz, MUTMAN and 1 other person like this.
  17. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

Vanne and adz like this.
  18. shredder

shredder Member

Vanne and adz like this.
  19. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

Any Mac people? Bit of a haul here!

upload_2020-8-7_16-5-29.png

adz and MUTMAN like this.
  20. Phido

Phido Member

Oh so many abused macs. If one of those cleaned up ok would probably be worth it.