1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Where are the retro bargains? List here!

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by Cannula, Jul 23, 2015.

1. Vanne

Vanne Member

IMG_20200807_111928.jpg The one at the very bottom left,was my first ever pc case mod. Apple iifx Found it on the side of the road, rained to hell, gutted it and fitted pc mobo inside. This was my build for when Neverwinter nights was going to be released and all I could afford was a shitty Duron 800mhz..

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
    Phido, MUTMAN, genxor and 2 others like this.
  2. badmofo

badmofo Member

3. bYrd

bYrd Member

adz and MUTMAN like this.
  4. bYrd

bYrd Member

Ah the venerable IIfx - my second computer, an ex CSIRO mail server that saw thousands of hours of use before we bought it from a silent CSIRO computer auction. Gave it away :p

Second life though is another IIfx I picked up a few years ago, with a lowly amount of RAM (8MB). A member of the 68KMLA forums has fabricated new 64-pin RAM modules, am hoping to receive the full 128MB soon!

adz likes this.
  5. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

Was actually very tempted to pick that up but I just went back for a second look and the listing has ended but doesn't look to have been sold. Not sure what the go is there.

Just looking through his other listings and how cool is this? Got enough slots? :lol:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/5-25-in...901550?hash=item3667deff2e:g:kPEAAOSwz7dfKkD5

upload_2020-8-9_12-14-49.png

badmofo and adz like this.
  6. BiggusDickus

BiggusDickus Member

Looking at the photos that is obviously complete BS. It's definitely been kept in good condition, but has most certainly seen usage and has had exposure to sunlight over the years. if you look at the power plug at the back you can see a lighter shade of plastic that has not yellowed due to the cord providing some protection from the sun.

adz and Flamin Joe like this.
  7. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

MUTMAN likes this.
  8. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

the carry handle looks a bit suss too

9. Zubrick

Zubrick Member

Your right.
    Are you sure your name isnt Hawkeye not BiggusDickus?
    When you look closely you can see similar lighter shade on the serial port while the parallel port must not have had a cable inserted and so it is yellowed.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
  10. Mistikal

Mistikal Member

11. Mistikal

Mistikal Member

12. Zubrick

Zubrick Member

Nice find Mistikal, it brings back memories as I had a couple of Aopen boards.
    I cant seem to see what model this Aopen mobo is. The AOpen box doesnt seem to show it and the advert doesnt specifiy it either.
    I remember having an Aopen AX59 back in the late 90s i think it was.
    There was some kind of problem with the AX59 but i cant quite remember what the problem was. I do remember there was a chat room where people from all over the world were discussing the problem and raising it with Aopen but I dont think we got anywhere.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  13. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

Motherboards today: Named after a greek god or mystical creature, full RGB lighting, has some blerb about how it will help you dominate your gaming foes bringing you to the next level (whatever that is).

Motherboards of decades gone by: "Computer Mainboard" and a photo of what it actually is. :lol:

MUTMAN, adz and Zubrick like this.
  14. BiggusDickus

BiggusDickus Member

One of the photos shows a sticker on the side of the box which states the model number as "AX6B". This is a 440BX based Slot 1 board, which makes a nice addition to anyone's collection.

EDIT: The last photo shows the contents of the box which does not appear to be a mainboard at all, just a ISA modem, PCI lan card and various manuals and driver disks.

MUTMAN likes this.
  15. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

the contents photo just shows an old modem and NIC, I've let him know it might not be what he thinks inside (I'm assuming he just doesn't know anything about it)

BiggusDickus likes this.
  16. Zubrick

Zubrick Member

OMG
    I only looked at the first two photos in the post
    DUH

Aopen were really well regarded back then. Which is why we were disappointed the AX59 didnt live up to expectations

17. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

speaking of AOPEN and east brisbane though.. Does anyone remember the big PC shop in the Gabba near the pub ? I seem to remember They used to have a lot AOPEN stuff, and Diamond MM. ad's everywhere. a nice AOPEN case, Aopen mobo , and Diamond MM cards was kind of my dream box, but i'd end up cheaping out thanks to a light wallet :p

18. BiggusDickus

BiggusDickus Member

I also had one of these boards in the late 90's (who could afford a slot 1 Pentium?). I can't recall anything not working as such, but it was absolutely terrible at anything related to overclocking and had the usual VIA chipset woes. I really wish I still had that board though.

19. Zubrick

Zubrick Member

It was annoying me that I couldnt recall exactly what was not working on the AX59 so I rumaged through my old newsgroup files.
    I found a backup of Newsgroups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.aopen.
    But unfortunately I didnt have Netscape to open it so I used Norton Editor but of course it was hard to read with formatting codes etc.
    As best as i could make out the AX59 Bios updates were not working with the Via 4 in 1 drivers and IRQ steering etc was having problems.

However the best part was reading some of the robust comments.
    At one state someone implies the AX59 owners do not know what they are doing.
    The quick reply was:

Do YOU own a Aopen AX59Pro ? I guess NO !
    Are you an IDIOT ? I guess YES !

AHHH the good old days

mAJORD likes this.
  20. Mistikal

Mistikal Member

Seems the advert for the AOpen board is gone, replaced with some chinesium laptop stand...

MUTMAN likes this.