Where are the retro bargains? List here!

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by Cannula, Jul 23, 2015.

1. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Does look like a really nice little unit. Love the OEM machines of this era

Thank God it's in Melbourne

adz, Phido, Pierre32 and 1 other person like this.
  2. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

All my secrets are revealed in my monthly newsletter for a low $29.95/month.

Real answer: I have a ton of different keyword searches saved, but often it's just about wading into a category and scrolling for gems in the chaos.

adz likes this.
  3. dirkmirk

dirkmirk Member

That is a beautiful machine/setup, I reckon at least $500 if I wanted it I wouldn't bat an eyelid, hell even $7-$800.

PS2, Quad CD-ROM just looks the part.

Yeah If I had to guess I'd say its less than DX2-66, they typically had 8meg of ram for my money Im thinking DX-33/40 or perhaps the DX2-50.

4. RogerWiIco

RogerWiIco Member

After browsing the Acer and trying to find similar sales I stumbled on this

ebay.com.au/itm/133670221493

Not as exciting as a 486 system but good value and not bad case

Pierre32 likes this.
  5. Phido

Phido Member

Acer Acermate450D.

https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/A/ACER-INC-486-ACERMATE-486.html
    http://brassicgamer.blogspot.com/2017/06/
    http://sannata.org/konkurs/2010/kt1006.shtml

Lovely little 486DX2/50 box. Looks like it has the cirrus labs 5428 (quite good!) SVGA integrated (upgradeable to 2mb) and is a ISA based system with integrated IDE coms etc. Seems quite upgradeable in terms of cache, memory, CPU, etc.

ISA expansion isn't a bad thing on a 486. The 5428 has windows acceleration and will be quite snappy in early windows stuff. Quite fast in dos for an ISA card. And it looks like it uses mostly standard stuff for parts.

adz, JidaiGeki and Pierre32 like this.
  6. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

I didn't know this was a thing (maybe the fees are cheaper) but Etsy which I always thought was for people to sell their creations has some vintage gear listed on there as well. Do a search for "PC big box" for example brings up a few games.

https://www.etsy.com/au/search?q=pc big box

Not a lot on there and a lot are in the US so you have to add shipping to the overall cost as well, but I think it could be something off the beaten track to keep an eye on for the odd item.

7. dirkmirk

dirkmirk Member

The integrated video is probably VLB based too i'd bet, looks like it supports the writeback functions so you could upgrade to an AM5X86-133 and the Pentium overdrive.

Really liking that machine.

That celeron is as another good machine for the money, excellent for dos gaming those SVGA titles,

adz likes this.
  8. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

You guys need to stop talking about that Acer or else you're going to convince yourself to do something crazy and drive down there to pick it up. :D

I do admit I'm drooling over it a little too. :) It reminds me so much of the early to mid 90's desktop PC's I used to torture myself dreaming over owning in the IT section of the Saturday edition of the newspaper and got to use for myself when I went to TAFE just after finishing highschool in 1994.

Honestly surprised no one local has bid on it yet being that it's so complete.

adz, mAJORD and RogerWiIco like this.
  9. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Not if you don't put ideas in our head.

Flamin Joe likes this.
  10. badmofo

badmofo Member

JidaiGeki and Pierre32 like this.
  11. Cellsplicer

Cellsplicer Member

MUTMAN and Pierre32 like this.
  12. atmo

atmo Member

I just picked up this from the same seller, it was exactly as described. That slot 1 Celeron machine was very tempting, I recently bought a 66mhz FSB P2 300 from Lazyboy1984 on here and it would go perfectly with that LX board for a high end 1997 spec build.

13. mwd

mwd Member

14. adz

adz Member

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
    Pierre32 likes this.
  15. dirkmirk

dirkmirk Member

Everytime I think about a high end socket 7 I think get a grip, I've already got a Pentium overdrive(Socket 8) 333 overclocked to 350mhz that's a cool machine, don't really need another:rolleyes::Paranoid:!

That will do everything a K6-3 will do more or less because of the strong FPU dispite being slower clocked.

16. Phido

Phido Member

Could be, its a Ali chipset.

ISA isn't terrible for a 486 if you have a decent card and intend to play at 320x200 in DOS. Quake isn't going to be playable anyway, so really your talking about doom stuff or older. On a DX/2 50 it isn't the huge issue some make it out to be. Particularly if you can clock up the bus (~10Mhz does wonders). People get obsessive about VL bus and a 486. Yes its not a 32 bit bus, and leaves some performance on the table. But it is still very early on in the 32bit days. In windows, 486 will be pretty limiting, but any accelerated card, ISA doesn't become a significant limitation. Would much rather a ISA Window accelerated card than a VLBUS unaccelerated card.

I guess my point is ISA bus on a 486 is still worth keeping.

It uses the ALI 1429 chipset, so would seem possible the CL5428 is on an integrated VL bus.

Yeh for anything higher than 320x200 - Pentium II/III/celerons are really the go. NFS, Nascar (even at 320x200 is slow on even a decent pentium), Duke Nukem3d, totally perfect for that.

17. BiggusDickus

BiggusDickus Member

Yeah, unless you want to install one of those K6 'plus' model CPUs and build an 'all-in-one' machine using CPU throttling, you are better off with an Intel LX/BX system I reckon. Most home users (including me) had socket 7 back in the day because Pentium 2's were so expensive, but I remember the K6 regularly got destroyed in benchmarks by the Intel competition.

18. rugger

rugger Member

haha, now it will be the opposite. "I have an Intel 10700K because the Ryzen 5800X is so expensive, even though the 5800X destroys the 10700K in benchmarks"

19. Phido

Phido Member

IMO Pentium II/III/Celerons are the bestest/fastest dos/early windows machines.
    Easy on the power and the heat. AGP/PCI/ISA. Lots of ram. decent IO. Decent back compatible

Pentium/socket 7 are fun to build and play with, but pentium II/III goes all the way from 233 to ~1.4Ghz.

K6 never got that fast, classic Pentiums put you in a narrow frame of time. The problem with something like a Pentium 100-200, is it was its not really fast enough for the most demanding DOS games, certainly not for windows, but also not slow enough for really old DOS.

As things age BTW, I am really becoming an OEM fan. While I also build my own PC back in the day, collecting old OEM are really neat.

On release a Pentium II 300 was like $2000 USD. (~$3500 in todays cash)

So more expensive, a lot more expensive than my 5950x. They were threadripper/HDET/Xeon prices.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
    JidaiGeki likes this.
  20. gdjacobs

gdjacobs Member

A PMMX can slow down to fast 286 territory with memory tricks and test register manipulation. Whether that's slow enough is a question for the individual.

You can get the same smooth scaling with a C3 with a bit higher top end, and there are some unicorn socket 7 boards which can use a CXT or Sharptooth chip and also have de-turbo, but PMMX systems are nonetheless among the most versatile options for retro computing. A Slot 1 system can't directly scale from 233 mhz to 1.4 ghz with Intel CPUs as most P3 CPUs are multiplier locked and bus clocking is far more limited. While the platform had a long life and many processor options, you essentially have to choose the performance regime by the CPU you install which is hardly the same. It's also important to note that not every slot 1 board has voltage regulation circuitry or firmware compatible with newer Coppermine and Tualatin CPUs, so you can't always assume the fastest CPUs will work on your board.