Where are the retro bargains? List here!

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by Cannula, Jul 23, 2015.

1. BiggusDickus

BiggusDickus Member

I agree that some of the older OEM machines look great, however the BIOS implementations can be a nightmare to work with. I have an old IBM PS/1 and it's just terrible. After any hardware configuration change the computer will do nothing on power-on for about 30 seconds while it has a good think about it. Meanwhile I'm stressed out thinking I've killed it. It also doesn't play nice with XT-IDE bios either.

I have an old 386SX board that's much easier to work with than this damn IBM.

MUTMAN likes this.
  2. BiggusDickus

BiggusDickus Member

adz, MUTMAN, Flamin Joe and 3 others like this.
  3. Mistikal

Mistikal Member

I am tempted to take a punt on the TUSL2-C board, however the description leads me to believe they are copies though the picture shows what appears to be a genuine board. I would doubt that the mob who would copy it would go out of their way to do things like socket the CMOS chip, screenprint and have solder joins ready for things like the sound ports, different colours on the IDE connectors, etc. It could be a case of a "stock photo" used too... hmm...

adz and MUTMAN like this.
  4. pfrcom

pfrcom Member

MUTMAN likes this.
  5. Phido

Phido Member

I will swap you a PS/2 MCA 286?..
    Its got MCA 16bit slots. No cards, ESDI hard disk controller. Its like the pinnacle of dead stupid OEM decisions.

OEMs have their frustrations, but a nice setup is lovely. Particularly with matching keyb and mouse.

Probably worth a punt. No ISA though, but as you said good Tualatin platform. I would believe a lot of unsold or warehouse stock winds up in China. They have heaps of Am2, am3 older intel boards. I imagine excess stock is cheap to store there.

6. partybear

partybear Member

A lot of the aliexpress sellers will list thousands of something even if they only have 1 or 2.

MUTMAN likes this.
  7. BiggusDickus

BiggusDickus Member

I have heard that AliExpress has decent buyer protection but don't have any first hand experience to share.

With almost all boards listed on AliExpress I've noticed that the original brand name is never mentioned and sometimes blurred from the photos. I think this might be to stop any potential issues with the original manufacturer or comply with some regulations rather than to dupe the buyer. There is enough remaining detail on the picture for the buyer to safely identify the part and be able to lodge a claim if the wrong item is sent.

I can't really see how making counterfeit socket 370 boards would be a profitable endeavour. It's more likely this is excess unsold stock, or worse case a batch of product that didn't meet quality control standards.

MUTMAN likes this.
  8. partybear

partybear Member

It is just stuff they pull out of the recycling stack, if the pins can be straightened and the board cleaned up and tested they are happy to list it as new.
    It is similar to when you buy a new old stock chip eg a opl2, they are just old recycled ones with the pins cleaned up and sometimes they even put a coating on them with fresh labels.

Nothing really wrong with any of this other then relabling the chips but don't expect it to be new old stock. The price is good and it definitely isn't going to be a fake.

MUTMAN likes this.
  9. aleckon

aleckon Member

Im going to take a punt on it have a 1ghz P3 tualatin without a home....let you know. Ali hasnt let me down yet....... OK - added tax...so closer to 85 via paypal.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
  10. BiggusDickus

BiggusDickus Member

You might be surprised. I saw a comment on Vogons stating that the Tualatin boards did not sell as well as expected because they were just a stop-gap until P4 arrived. With the benefit of hindsight we can see how well the platform performs, but back in the early 2000s most people would've been saving their coins for the next big release from Intel. There was also heavy competition from AMD with the Athlon Thunderbird which were very popular amongst enthusiasts at the time (me included).

I'm keen to hear back from aleckon when his board arrives.

11. Deromax

Deromax Member

Flamin Joe and Pierre32 like this.
  12. BiggusDickus

BiggusDickus Member

Pick-up only is the problem. Long drive from Perth.

.. and you should definitely be bidding on that machine. Systems with matching monitors and keyboards are super rare these days.

13. Deromax

Deromax Member

I could get it for you and, you know, look after it for you until you want to come pick it up...

14. aleckon

aleckon Member

I just bid....not too far for me.

No joy....maybe someone here got it.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  15. Deromax

Deromax Member

Hopefully! At the least the person selling it got a bit closer to what it is worth.

16. RogerWiIco

RogerWiIco Member

Pierre32 likes this.
  17. adz

adz Member

18. Phido

Phido Member

$220 is still good value IMO.

If such an object was in Sydney or Post AU wide it would have been $500+..
    But in Melbourne, there is just piles of Gravis ultrasounds, VLB 3d blasters, Commodore 1084 monitors and apple 1's just piling up in rubbish bins.

adz, Pierre32 and JidaiGeki like this.
  19. Deromax

Deromax Member

Definitely, especially with all the era-appropriate peripherals and matching CRT. I would have nabbed it for that price had my financial situation been different...
    I have to admit I did think about tidying it up, whacking a few choice shareware titles on, taking some nicer photos and flipping it for a fortune, but my morality got in the way.

BiggusDickus likes this.
  20. Cellsplicer

Cellsplicer Member

adz, rugger, JidaiGeki and 2 others like this.