Where are the retro bargains? List here!

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by Cannula, Jul 23, 2015.

1. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

I agree with Shane, lots of empty cases there - I'd say he's already picked the eyes out of them. Good chance that what's left is full of rodents, spiders or battery acid.

Most of them are ATX by the look of them; which means they are probably Pentium 3/4 or newer, which doesn't really hold my interest.

There might be 60 machines but I think you'd be lucky to get half a dozen worth fiddling with.

2. shane41

shane41 Member

3. Kafoopsy

Kafoopsy Member

I list stuff as used and say untested because Parts/Not Working is for stuff that is definitely not working. Chips like this mostly likely do work, but it is too much work to test them. I also say no warranty or returns because I sell stuff permanently, once the transaction is done, that is it. If you purchase it, you are agreeing to not try to return it, even if it doesn't work.

4. shane41

shane41 Member

I actually glanced over this post JidaGeki did front page. Now look again thanks Kafoopsy :thumbup:

This is a real sore point with me !!

Been burnt many a time on parts that simply do not work. Expensive too.
    Nice pictures & parts look beautiful. Writing says my old loved part, should work fine but unable to test it.

Then that no return disclaimer on the end of the add. :Pirate:

5. JidaiGeki

JidaiGeki Member

I have bought plenty of stuff that is "Used", but untested, and with the usual disclaimers in the description - and the majority of items actually work OK. Also, you can be lucky and buy something listed as For Parts and have a working item, or repair it, etc.

But look at eBay's definition of Used:

"Used: An item that has been used previously. The item may have some signs of cosmetic wear, but is fully operational and functions as intended. This item may be a floor model or store return that has been used. See the seller’s listing for full details and description of any imperfections."​

You can't list it as Used unless you've confirmed this - and any buyer would have a right to a refund if an item doesn't work, no matter how many disclaimers you put in the description. Your words do not protect you in this circumstance, it's well documented that there is no "untested" condition, and the description doesn't redefine what Used means.

It's also a heads up for sellers as well, as eBay/PayPal are on the buyer's side, not the seller's. I list things as well, and only list them as Used if I've tested it and it works - avoiding the grief of a refund is worth the time it takes to test the items I sell.

Anyway, I had a bee in my bonnet when I posted because the guy who sold the 5.25" drives was clearly dishonest in his listing, seeing the rust on those two drives would have been an immediate indicator to anyone not to buy. I let it slide for the trouble of $10-$15.

6. philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member

eBay will always side with the buyer if there is even the slightest issue. Which is great for a buyer and shouldn't worry decent sellers.

But I never buy something that is listed as not working / for parts. But used? Like said above, it has to be fully operational.

7. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

Down to $130.

I'd say $80-$100 would be reasonable.

8. Urbansprawl

Urbansprawl Member

9. power

power Member

10. Urbansprawl

Urbansprawl Member

I looked and I still missed it :)

11. shane41

shane41 Member

Not matter. Think we all worked out good parts sold from it already.
    Then get stuck with massive pickup hassle

12. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

13. JidaiGeki

JidaiGeki Member

14. power

power Member

15. JidaiGeki

JidaiGeki Member

Has a $5 BIN option ...

16. power

power Member

derp, my bad.

17. Kafoopsy

Kafoopsy Member

You are right, but as eBay doesn't have a category specifically for untested but likely working stuff, I will continue listing stuff as used with a message saying untested. Most of my stuff that I sell untested is low value anyway so if someone gets an item that doesn't work and wants a refund, I will just refund them.

I feel that the average person will see the not working/for parts category the same way as I do - for stuff that is definitely not working. Listing stuff in this category will greatly reduce buyer interest.

18. dirkmirk

dirkmirk Member

19. badmofo

badmofo Member

Boxed DOOM or no, I ain't going that close to Sunshine :D

20. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/201417584745

Shuttle HOT-591P with a K6-2.

Not bad for a decent SS7 board, especially with a HSF (they can be a pain to find). The CPU is a bit meh.

Yeah... If only it was somewhere else. :lol: