1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Where are the retro bargains? List here!

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by Cannula, Jul 23, 2015.

1. Reaper

Reaper Member

Awesome. Might make a pilgrimage down there. Haven't been in that part of town for many years. Tempted to mention a northside cruise for retro stuff. :D

MUTMAN likes this.
  2. Camm

Camm Member

adz likes this.
  3. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

Not retro, but handy nevertheless...

Intel 320 series 80GB SSDs, 2 for $29.95pp: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/303213282677

Handy being SATA2 for fussy SATA1 controllers and smaller size for using with SATA to IDE adapters.

MrMaestro, adz and MUTMAN like this.
  4. badmofo

badmofo Member

A friend reported today that this place is closing down and stacked with all sorts of old electronics. Might be worth a look if you're in the area:

http://www.electronicworld.com.au/

Attached Files:

adz, BuuBox and MUTMAN like this.
  5. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

Sad to see Truscotts closing. Can't be many of those sort of electronics stores left.

I bought something from there years ago, can't quite remember... Maybe a vinyl cartridge.

6. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

A lot of games have image doubling on these, as they try to force deinterlace non-interlaced images.

The 100Hz part isn't all that's wrong with them. It's everything that comes with it that's designed around VHS and DVD input, and assumes interlaced content.

I'll post a video later demonstrating the problem.

7. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

Anyone know if they are related to Truscotts Hifi in Adelaide or is it just a coincidence they have the same name?

Probably been around since a similar time frame (Trustcotts Hifi started in 1980 I believe) and you tend to find Adelaide/Melbourne businesses crossover between the two on ocassion so curious if there is a link. Trustcotts Hifi went down about 10 years ago.

8. Camm

Camm Member

Eh, if you really want. For purists, yeah, the issues around 240p is a PITA, but most handle it well. If not, we all know of solutions like Retrotinks to do the line doubling before the TV gets it.

9. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I'm not talking about line doubling. The 100Hz TVs will display two images side by side in the same frame as it tries to interpolate a progressive signal (it assumes two fields per frame, instead of one). A RetroTink-2X or OSSC can't solve that problem like they can on higher resolution flat screens.

Play any game that scrolls left to right quickly (almost every 8/16 bit action game), and it's terrible. On top of that, most add in unfixable lag as a result.

I'll post some examples when I'm near a keyboard again.

[edit]

Sadly the camera Rob uses in this video doesn't pick it up (@9:00) , but with the naked eye it's very obvious. He also shows artifactingon a still image due to 100Hz processing (@11:22) .

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    Vanne likes this.
  10. badmofo

badmofo Member

adz, Vanne and MUTMAN like this.
  11. adz

adz Member

NOS is a waste on me as I'd just rip it out the box and use it :lol:

12. dirkmirk

dirkmirk Member

Yeah same, I bought a Pentium 2 Overdrive 333 for socket 8 new/sealed for $99 delivered when the auzzie dollar was strong, yep its being used still have the plastic wrapping around most of the box:Paranoid:, sealed ones are worth a bit.

adz likes this.
  13. badmofo

badmofo Member

Yep I usually open NOS stuff too, even if it's just to eyeball the contents.

Those were the days. I used to gather things up at my freight forwarder and send myself big boxes of stuff from the U.S semi-regularly, but our dollar took a dive and shipping prices took off - that party is over.

Flamin Joe likes this.
  14. dirkmirk

dirkmirk Member

Haha don't forget the gst either.... Almost impossible to get overseas bargains these days.

Flamin Joe likes this.
  15. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

I remember those days. I would say 90% of my PC big box collection came through my freight forwarder. I was regularly getting 3-4 boxes at a time at least twice a month.

Since then i've use my freight forwarder only a few times over the past couple of years, most recent actually this week, but again reminded why I use it sparingly. My god the freight. :shock:

This has been the absolute killer. If the exchange rate wasn't bad enough, the extra 10% on top put the nail in the coffin. :thumbdn: F**k you liberals.

16. badmofo

badmofo Member

17. Phido

Phido Member

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Apple-M...114431?hash=item34107fdcbf:g:rlAAAOSwaKZdSrGw

Colour classic for $1.

Couple of old power macs (3) for $100.
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/APPLE-P...838678?hash=item4b675f3016:g:KokAAOSwXUxc9PKw

Apple IIGS WOZ edition..
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Apple-I...707&pg=2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982

As 8 bit guy said, pretty much 100% of the Macintosh are going to need recapping, so working recapped mac might be semi-collectable post this period. IMO I think the color classics are great, as you get the classic mac look, but faster processor, ram, and a colour screen. nice and compact for easy storage.

I really love the IIGS, would love to add one to my collection but wife/storage/funds. They are a lot better than the regular apple II, approaching Amiga levels of capability. Killed by Apple pushing the Macintosh ahead of it.

18. badmofo

badmofo Member

19. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

I think I enjoy reading this thread just for the memory kicks I get more than finding bargains. :)

Canopus, now there's a name not many younger generations would be familiar with in the graphics card scene. Never owned any of their 3D cards but they were always highly regarded in the early 3D acceleration days for having very fast cards. Unlike other manufacturers who were happy to just repackage the reference drivers and leave it at that, these guys would tweak/optimise theirs to seperate themselves from the pack much to the envy of those like myself who didn't own one! Back then little tweaks (no matter how small the FPS gain) made a huge difference.

MUTMAN likes this.
  20. Phido

Phido Member

That IIGS Woz went for $435.. pretty good deal. I still don't get why C128 go for so much and something like that goes for so little. I am still fascinated why people collect those old black and white macs, when something like a IIGS makes more sense for many a retro colector, for gaming, etc.

There really isn't much use for a modem even for retro collectors. Although if you got two you could hook them up have them connect to each other and run it like a slow serial connection.