Where are the retro bargains? List here!

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by Cannula, Jul 23, 2015.

1. power

power Member

people collect sports games, nuff said.

2. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

Might be cool to have on your shelf if your into that kind of thing but yeah besides that there isn't a lot you could do with it. It's one retro item which has become completely obsolete even for guys like us who play with old hardware. Thanks to the NBN I don't even have a phone line to hook it up to even if I wanted to!

3. Phido

Phido Member

You could still i guess plug it into your phone port of your NBN modem.

Or gut the modem. Put in a rs232 to wifi modem in there, maybe a PIC to control the lights on the front and something that plays a modem dial in and connection sound.

Also I think I am falling in love with Apple IIGS's.
    There are another bunches of Transwarp accelerators coming and Jucied.GS (https://juiced.gs/) is still in print. Dam you ebay.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  4. bYrd

bYrd Member

I reckon the seller got amazing money for a basic setup with no upgrades. You can get bare IIGS machines from the US for much cheaper if prepared to ship (nowadays usually more than the computer itself!).

The IIGS is a great Apple computer to collect, however it crossed that line of not being a pure 8-bit machine and trying too hard to fit into the Amiga/Atari ST line up in the day. The GS/OS is entertaining to use as it really tries to act like Mac OS and there are some good applications, graphics and utilities for it. Games made for the IIGS are a bit hit and miss, not in abundance and some Amiga/Atari ports are pretty horrible. It's the Apple II die hards that drive the price up for it when an Amiga 500 would be a better choice for the era.

5. Phido

Phido Member

But the GS plays pretty much all the Apple II stuff.

Yeh, the ideal GS machine for me would be a later model, with 1mb ram, already retro ready with a CF or SD card storage. I agree most games the Amiga or ST port would be better. Would love an accelerator too. They basically double the price.

6. Vanne

Vanne Member

Hmm I think the apple lamps will become very popular, can do best of both worlds. Classic and osx. :)

7. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

$120pp for a Gateway 2000 E-1000 SFF Socket 7 machine: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/254294107661

Has a few old school capture cards / MPEG2 decoder. Looks pretty tidy. Should be room for a decent PCI video card.

Shame no ISA slots, but the onboard sound is an ISA Crystal Audio chipset.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019 at 6:59 AM
    sammy_b0i and MUTMAN like this.