1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Where are the retro bargains? List here!

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by Cannula, Jul 23, 2015.

1. genxor

genxor Member

2. Phido

Phido Member

Apart from EISA (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_Industry_Standard_Architecture), microchannel (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micro_Channel_architecture) and other proprietary formats (Wingine - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chips_and_Technologies). My C&T 386 board has 32bit ISA type socket at full bus speed, and its these types of slots that evolved into VLBus, and VLBus uses the microchannel connector just flipped.

Plus, who is running their ISA bus at 8Mhz? 8 Mhz AT users?

I do get the odd little formats and systems. I love odd. Just VLBus seems to get this cult like following thinking its better than everything. I am not a particular fan of VL-Bus. The advantages of VL bus are also best on dumb frame buffer applications like doom in dos.

3. gdjacobs

gdjacobs Member

EISA had improvements in I/O word size and arbitration but ran at the same clock as ISA.

4. GrandmasBoi

GrandmasBoi Member

For the hardcore isa fans there is also the possibility to clock up the isa to 10-11mhz but hardly a match for the mighty vlb at 40mhz

5. dirkmirk

dirkmirk Member

And for 40mhz to really shine you want the fastest 486 which is the am5x86-133@160mhz, officially the fastest was the 133mhz but only ran at 33mhz fsb,.

Hardly any Pentium will work at 2.5x40/100mhz or your stuck with the DX-120s.

In my testing the am5x86 edges the cyrix 5x86-120, their might be some pci boards thatrun a 40mhz fsb.

GrandmasBoi likes this.
  6. GrandmasBoi

GrandmasBoi Member

The amd 160 is definately the fastest 486 easily available and a user friendly pretty rock stable for a overclocked cpu.

There is crazy guys that overclock the cyrix to 133 by going 2x66 fsb which then beats the amd@160 but that is not really a system to run as a daily retro box I don't think.

A cyrix 133 chip 4 x 33 fsb was made but apparently it is extremely rare, won't find one on ebay so unless you find one 5x86 is the winner

7. Reaper

Reaper Member

That's the cpu I got with that franken-board, a 5x86 p75 133. I do also have an intel dx33, just clock it to 40mhz. Right now that board has a dx2-66 in it.

8. badmofo

badmofo Member

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    FIREWIRE1394, elvis, adz and 2 others like this.
  9. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

indeed he went all out, a "bee modem" :thumbup:
    wish i'd kept my 32k bee, but i wont be dropping 500 on a replacement

10. dirkmirk

dirkmirk Member

We had a TC256, dual disk drives, modem and a green monochrome display, yeah I think the C64 would've been alot more fun, I thought the games were good but looking at some of those C64 titles....

11. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

yes, but the disk drive on the C64 was slower than the tape drive on the bee :D

the TC256 was quite late in the game for microbee. iirc, it had the two drives as side by side in the large plastic case that sat under the display ??
    i had an original 16k that was upgraded to a 32k and in turn that became a "computer in a book" model, and i then moved the contents of "the book" into one of those "TC" cases.

edit - i think around CiaB time i got a amber screen monitor that i thought was shit hot :lol:

12. dirkmirk

dirkmirk Member

Holy sh!t that Creative Labs VLB went for $2,550!:eek:!

13. gdjacobs

gdjacobs Member

Worth it's weight in gold?

14. badmofo

badmofo Member

I think it's great that there are peeps out there with enough interest and cash to make the rare stuff valuable. Yes it means that ever tom dick and harry are listing their untested 486 motherboards for 100 bucks + but that's better than them frisbeeing them into landfill because it's not worth their time to list it. When I got back into retro hardware ~9 years ago, 486 era stuff rarely showed up on the bays. Now there are usually a range to choose from.

15. breech

breech Member

I have no idea what happened to my 3D blaster, but I remember getting a voodoo 1 and not looking back. I also had a Forte VFX-1 set that I wish I had hung on to.

16. Reaper

Reaper Member

Were there even any exclusive games to it to make it worth it?

17. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

How much does it ACTUALLY weigh?
    I would personally be very interested to see if it's actually worth MORE than gold by weight :lol:

$2550 would be a bargain... IF it's the only single one in existence, if it's 1 of 10, it'd be a pretty good deal, if it's one of 100 remaining, fair price, one of 1000... the buyer got totally reamed.

18. dirkmirk

dirkmirk Member

They typically go for more than $1,000USD boxed, that's the going rate

19. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

It made use of Creative's short lived proprietary Creative Graphics Library which gave it a handful of exclusive titles at the time (see DonutKing's list on the last page) but it wasn't anything particulary special in that regards. Creative's next 3D Accelerator, the 3D Blaster PCI (Rendition Verite V1000E), could also make use of CGL but compared to Rendition's native 3D acceleration it really didn't look that fantastic. I had the 3D Blaster PCI at the time which came with Flight Unlimited and a couple of other titles and despite at the time being a big aviation nut I barely played it. I was too busy picking my jaw off the floor after seeing Rendition's 3D accelerated version of Quake aka VQuake! Fell in love with 3D accelerated graphics right there and then.

20. Phido

Phido Member

It doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but I guess it does to other people. That great. It probably isn't even going to be used, it will just sit on a shelf somewhere.
    I get why a lot of stuff is worth serious money, but some stuff confuses me.

AFAIK Creative made thousands of them, they weren't a big seller, but they weren't impossible to get. But they don't change hands often, and most were probably chucked in a bin because, well VLB is a dead end bus, and the performance and image wasn't mind blowing, even for the time it was released.

There were earlier 3d cards, and at the time more capable. There was also more odd setups.
    I would think a 3DO Blaster is more collectible.