Where are the retro bargains? List here!

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by Cannula, Jul 23, 2015.

1. Phido

Phido Member

Agreed. But I have a 486 board looking for a home..

I do love how it has a little square space to put your own badge. The Green button is also hilariously dated. It was really just a turbo button re-purposed. Sleep buttons were more useful at that time than turbo buttons.

I love its blocky beigeness. The fake drives look way cooler than the normal 3.5 blanks.

Can someone take a picture of the back of the AOPEN case.. I want to see how AT compatible it is.

MUTMAN likes this.
  2. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

I honestly don't remember the Green button, definately never had a case with one. Was is a short lived thing?

3. greencamel65

greencamel65 Member

i've had plenty of mainboards with a header for it, However i've never had case with it.

4. Reaper

Reaper Member

It's atx on the back. It's at compatible in that there are holes for stands to match at spacing for the board. You'll need the at backplate that has the single keyboard hole or just leave it open. I've got a 90's aopen kf45 I think was the model with an at setup. Got the backplate and an atx to at power connecter. Gotta use older atx power supplies, new ones don't have enough 5v amps I think it is, or some thing anyway. Mod the power switch with an on/off not momentary switch too.

5. Phido

Phido Member

Does it have pushouts for Com and serial and keyb?

I modd'ed a matx Awyun case to take a fullsized AT board, so anything is possible. However, it is not an experience I would really like to repeat.

Vanne likes this.
  6. badmofo

badmofo Member

Soz I've packed that AOpen away so can't grab a pic easily.

And the 'green' switch on the AT tower is momentary BTW so I'd have to swap it if I wanted to use it as a turbo button. Like MIDI sound hardware - these things came and went in no time. I do miss those days.

EDIT: Our friend Dr Ian has more of these cases apparently - he accepted $130:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NOS-vin...m262c4c39be:g:3ZkAAOSwibddzese&frcectupt=true

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  7. Reaper

Reaper Member

I think there are push outs above the atx back panel cut out. Just going by bad memory here. You can just use an expansion slot serial plate of course. The keyboard you'll need the atx at keyboard backplate as I said.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATX

Scroll down a bit to the connecters heading and the picture of the backplate is the one furtherest left with the single large hole is what you'll need to put into an atx case to have just the at keyboard showing.

8. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

<3 fake FDD blanking plates

9. badmofo

badmofo Member

MUTMAN and Flamin Joe like this.
  10. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Looks at user name ...

[​IMG]

Vanne likes this.
  11. Phido

Phido Member

Come on, time to fess up. You are the infamous Dr Ian "Frankstien" Junque. The terror of trash, the doctor of the decrepit.

I am still curious why no one picked up those 4 AT/ATX beige cases I posted previously for $30. Surely just listing them on ebay individually with post and packaging would net a tidy profit. The TEAC one looks quite neat. They just got re-advertised. Victoria seems to be littered with Retro PC's. That place in Ballarat seems to be overflowing with mint beige boxes for a few dollars, but not interested in shipping them. The good doctor also has range of boxes regularly on ebay. Although he seems to be parting out at the moment.

12. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

Vanne likes this.
  13. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

So I'm posting this before I actually swoop in and take the one I want. But that's happening first thing in the morning.

A bunch of CRTs have been listed for $50 in North Sydney:

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/north-sydney/monitors/8-vintage-computer-monitors/1234276736

I'm taking the Compaq. When I got in touch, she said she could do it on its own for $10... so I think the listing is supposed to be $50 for the lot? (I'm still only taking the one.)

As an aside, I have previously bought from this seller, and picked up from their home out near Campbelltown. This time the pickup address is a computer store. I'm wondering if that means there are more listings on the way. I'll report back with any intel.

genxor and MUTMAN like this.
  14. partybear

partybear Member

If there is something in ballarat you desperately want let me know I might be able to pick it up and post it to you.

15. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

Grabbed my monitor this morning. Cute as a button. The cosmetic condition of them varies, but he assures me they're all in good working order.

I didn't see anything else of interest in there. It's just a regular little computer store / net cafe. He said there was no other vintage stuff lined up to be listed.

Here's the part where I might look like (i) a sucker and (ii) a traitor to fellow bargain hunters. I had a $20 note in my wallet, and told him to keep the change. Then I suggested he could probably sell these for $40 each. Just my 2c, but I'd rather see an enthusiast come in and pay $40 for one, than a flipper grabbing the lot for peanuts then putting them on ebay for $100 each.

Regards,

The self-appointed moral arbiter of the retro market.

BiggusDickus and BuuBox like this.
  16. bYrd

bYrd Member

badmofo likes this.
  17. Phido

Phido Member

Just happy that monitors aren't just getting chucked. That compaq is nice, would be my choice as well, as I have a old deskpro that I am trying to complete with a keyb and monitor.
    Monitors seem to have much shorter lives than the computers attached to them. A Commodore monitor is probably worth a a lot more than the C64 or the Amiga its plugged into.

Computer/Netcafe store is interesting. They may have a whole bunch of old swag in a warehouse somewhere and just looking to see if they can off load it.

Pierre32 likes this.
  18. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
  19. breech

breech Member

Thanks Pierre, wish me luck on the Roland gear :p

adz and Pierre32 like this.
  20. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

Nice, get in there :thumbup: