Where are the retro bargains? List here!

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by Cannula, Jul 23, 2015.

1. self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

Saw a nice 22" crt monitor on gumtree for $80 the other day. Thought for a while about the ~250km round trip to get it and just as i decided screw it, I'll go for a drive... It was marked as sold. Now I want one just because I can't have it. baha

Surprised it lasted that long. Gotta be more decisive next time :p

I'll just tell myself, it probably wouldn't of fit in my little 2 door car anyway to make myself feel better.

Vanne and MUTMAN like this.
  2. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

debiasnz eBay seller drives me nuts with endless listings in high USD prices despite being based in Australia, but check out this douchebaggery...

Purchase new Geforce 4 MX440's from PC meal for $39 a pop (look at the purchase history): https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/233262585807

Relist for triple the $: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/283564726325

:rolleyes:

--------

Back on topic, how about a Geforce 3 ti200 for $43pp: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/174066657162
    Aopen still have a listing: http://us.aopen.com/products_detail.aspx?auno=499

Or a Leadtek Winfast Intel i740 AGP card for $30 posted: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/283694806971
    I can't remember seeing a branded i740 card - arguably for good reason :lol:

badmofo and Pierre32 like this.
  3. partybear

partybear Member

That is pretty scummy but no one would pay that for it would they?

4. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

BRAND NEW IN BOX - RARE :rolleyes:

5. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

It seems strange to me that anyone would want to buy a MX440 full stop. They were a pretty average card at the time so I can't imagine there would be many enthusiasts lining up to get a hold of one in a nice shiny box the relive the MX440 glory days. :lol:

Honestly don't reckon they will sell at that price as I think PC Meal's price was the most you could expect for them.

mAJORD likes this.
  6. Vanne

Vanne Member

Lol I have a 440mx .. piece of turd crap. Only reason I still have it, as I hate chucking stuff that works.
    But yeah I think I bought it back in the day as I burned through all my cash building a peecee to run the glory that was and still is (to some extent) NeverWinter Nights.. seriously, anyone paying 80us plus post for a 440mx deserves to be punished.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  7. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

Think of the GeForce 4 MX440 as a slightly improved GeForce 2 Pro and the hate subsides a little. ;)

adz likes this.
  8. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Pretty much this. And unlike the GF2, the 4MX often overclocked like crazy (making up somewhat for its SDR memory).

It wasn't so much a "crap card" as it was intentionally marketed with a bullshit name. Had they kept the GF2 name perhaps it would have been somewhat more honest.

I had one. Lapped the chip, attached enormous heatsinks, over volted the crap out of it, and overclocked it like crazy. Good times.

adz and GumbyNoTalent like this.
  9. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

I know this feeling.. We are starved of decent CRT's up here, I too would consdier a 200k + round trip for the right one.

It's funny you say that about your car - A year or so ago I picked up a couple of Sun micro flat 18 and I think it's a 21in CRT's.. the later is an older model and is absolute monster had no idea I'd have so much trouble getting it into a mid size sedan!.. Boot - nope. front seat, nope- couldn't close the door as arm rest was hitting it .. had to squeeze it into the rear door onto back seat - and my god is it heavy as well. Just didn't cross my mind I might need the wagon for a monitor!

If you're after any sort of range of CRT's i'll look out for you as I cannot take any more in , at least not until I cull any more dead ones that can't be fixed easily enough.. I can't stop myself looking though regardless :/ - I have many saved searches, and always on the 'passive lookout'

about the only thing I think i'd keep for myself is something particularly special.. Like the supposedly NOS 17" I think it was that popped up the other day, but disappeared damn quick.

Also if yourself or anyone else is in need.. I'm going to Sydney end of year (driving) - taking a CRT down for someone here - can bring one back up to bris in its place if needed , or any other 'unshipable' retro gear of similar size . Doesn't have to be from members, Ebay pickup etc OK with me

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    breech, MUTMAN, Pierre32 and 2 others like this.
  10. self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

Hah, yeah. Definitely needed the ute when I grabbed my 27" crt tv. Thing's a monster.

Would of been nice to have, but wasn't really a viable option in all honesty. You do kinda forget just how big, heavy and awkward these things are to transport.

Trying to shoehorn a 22" into a skyline would of been a tonne of fun and even if I succeeded somehow, it would of probably ended in a fine or three. (Chances are it would of come down to ripping out the passenger seat to get it in the back) :lol:

MUTMAN likes this.
  11. badmofo

badmofo Member

MUTMAN and Pierre32 like this.
  12. greencamel65

greencamel65 Member

what a shame its in victoria and set to local pickup only

13. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

I'll be watching to see what those XT's go for!

Flamin Joe likes this.
  14. adz

adz Member

I put in a bid for the XT's, we'll see how I go.

Flamin Joe and Pierre32 like this.
  15. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

Being pickup only should hopefully keep the prices from going too crazy. A full setup with original keyboard plus CRT is in my oppinion worth at least $500.

I picked up my 5150 and 5160 complete locally a couple of years ago for around $550. Coincidentally around this exact same time of year. Honestly thought I would be outbid but the lack of interstate bidders kept a lot of competition out. :thumbup:

16. okclock123

okclock123 Member

Epic indeed. At this point I have almost everything I want from retro computing, but such lots are always enticing.

17. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

That microbee didnt last long :(

18. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

19. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

adz likes this.
  20. /invariance\

/invariance\ Member