Where do you buy knives from?

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by lawrencep93, Dec 26, 2018.

1. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

Globals are pretty fuckin horrible, I doubt you'd find too many people who'd argue. For some reason about a decade back a lot of apprentices used to get recommended them for their first knife-roll, I to this day have no idea why. Lot of much better knives at that pricepoint. And I've yet to use a metal-knifed (EDIT - I mean metal handled rather) knife that wasnt horrible to use

EDIT - DO NOT get talked into buying a furi... I have seriously never in my life encountered knives with steel that soft. they are truly awful.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
  2. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

Oh man Furi.

Got a crack through the handle year one.

3. killedbycrimson

killedbycrimson Member

I wouldn't, the steel isn't designed to retake an edge. If you want a simple system, warthog multi edge 220 is good for kitchen blades. Use your knives as you would normally. Don't use a gyuto to hack through bones, don't use a Nakiri to fillet fish.
    If your going to spend money on a knife, got custom. Support a local knifemaker.

No dishwashers. Just like no capes and super heros, no dishwashers with high end knives. The heat will loosen the epoxy.

firey4059 likes this.
  4. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

Ain't got time for hand washing. Full tang and 3 rivets, should hold well enough. Plus they sit top cutlery rack. Plus it only washes at like 60 something degrees. Not that hot.

I think I used to play PC games with you actually. 10-15 years ago.

5. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Global is a love it or hate it knife. I absolutely hates it. Handle is thin and uncomfortable and if your hand is even slightly wet from sweat or what not, it's down right dangerous. Furi is just the BOSE of knife world. All marketing and no substance.

6. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

Ikea currently have a series of vg10 steel chef knives.

They might be Chinese made but you can't beat the price for one of the best steels for any knife

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
  7. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I've never liked bolsters on the heels of knives, I vote a Zwilling if on a budget. I have a Zwilling 8" chefs knife, affordable and great quality, I love it. As a starter set, hard to go past this pair from Kogan of all places for $159.

8. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

I have 3 IKEA knives too. Do a good job, for cheap!

9. killedbycrimson

killedbycrimson Member

Don't hand wash, just wipe down, that's why you see chefs with a tea towel on their shoulder or next to them. Quick wipe and move on. 60 degrees is hot enough to soften the epoxy.
    On the topic of Chinese VG10, there are much better steels out there now. I rate Takefu Vtoku-2 higher than VG10 plus you have to ask yourself what it really is if these knives are coming out on the budget list, plus it seems like there are many different companies making VG10 now days. The pakistani guys are also making "vg10" using low carbon steel and salvaged stainless from old pots and pans.

As said before, reach out and support a new maker. Check their work first but expect a few small flaws here and there, they will be able to tell you what the have used steel wise and how to care for it. Most will out perform a production blade. I usually sell my Saw blade kitchen knives from 200$ up to 300$ depending on handle material.

I played UT/UT2K4 and BF2 under this name.

10. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

Yeah was BF2 bud. I think I was "Thrasher" then. Long time ago.

11. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

It's Ikea these are sold world wide if it is marketed and sold as vg10 it will be vg10.

I have the new one and one from the old series and I can guarantee you its real.
    They take and hold a edge really well. I honestly don't see the sense in paying 2x or more times for the same thing. Whilst there may be better steels for the price and the fact it's full tang with rivets and stainless it is very hard to beat.

12. killedbycrimson

killedbycrimson Member

Its possible. Most Ikea blades last I saw were a variant of CR13XM something something. Its low carbon content coming in at .1% but is designed to be resistant to abrasion. A lot of those "wonder" "stay sharp" "Forever sharp" blades use the same.
    The reasons behind paying x2 for "the same thing"? Well, its hand made and one of a kind and helps a little guy feed his family or knife making addiction. There is only one of the attached, and never be another.

Attached Files:

• 7.jpg
      7.jpg
      File size:
      105.8 KB
      Views:
  13. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

so does ikea not employ people -- thats news to me, --- so maybe my $$$ at Ikea are indeed going to people as well -----

the one of a kind thing is irrelevant to me as its a knife to be used as a knife if I wanted a work of art to hang on the wall i would buy a work of art not a functional kitchen knife -- you can go ahead and spend 2-3x as much on a blade it may give you a warm fuzzzy feeling --- all the power to you can can spend your $$$ where you like ---- but functionally it will not be better than the ikea one. at $60 ( and yes I know there are better steels / knives -- but not in the $200-$300 price range )

and btw that is an awesome looking knife but if I spent $300 on it I wouldn't want to use it in the kitchen -- vg10 is great -- its stainless holds a great edge and at the $60 from Ikea I can buy 2-3 of them and have spares if needed for the price of that one. I have had my first Ikea vg10 knife from the first series ---(and not as well built as the later knives) that is used daily and it has lasted close to 10 years so far.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
  14. killedbycrimson

killedbycrimson Member

It's a functional work of art. Even my 500$ knives are made to be used, I was slightly offended when a friend suggested encasing a gift I made them and never use it.
    ikea is a big international corporation, even if no one bought their knives from them, they would still rake in massive profits. but your right, its easier to use and abuse and throw away when each knife costs peanuts regardless of what its made from. Its what companies like global and wiltshire thrive from.

15. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

I only buy from Hattori Hanz┼Ź... when one needs Japanese Steel. ;)

JSmith

Court Jester likes this.
  16. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I just buy cheap shite from random places on the net, I've some surprisingly good knives over the years.

17. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

It is awesome to see a craftsman..........ty. I am very keen to see any and all other media source materials into your capacity.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  18. OP
    OP
    lawrencep93

lawrencep93 Member

What are some of the good ones?

19. killedbycrimson

killedbycrimson Member

I just use those two platforms. You can find two blades up on www.cutlerscollective.com.au as well as blades from other Australian makers.

20. philquad

philquad Member