1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

Where to buy non homogenized milk?

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by Drew_, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Drew_

Drew_ Member

Is it possible to buy non homogenized milk these days?
    Still keen to have it pasteurized.

Any where in Melbourne where such a monster can be bought?

2. aXis

aXis Member

Possibly direct from a dairy?

I used to love fresh milk as a kid on the farm the cream you'd skim from it was the best, better than shop bought double cream.

3. pugsley

pugsley Member

I remember a year or two ago i was able to buy non homogenised milk at my local woolies. That might have been from a local Tassie supplier though.

Problem with a dairy farm is they may only sell to you if you want commercial quantities unless they regularly leave some of their milk un homogenised.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  4. Goldminer

Goldminer Member

I think you can't!

The government gave into the industry propanganda saying "its for consumer protection we have to kill everything(good and bad) in milk". Think all milk must be pasteurize!

more like the industry they just want a longer shit life item!

5. OP
    OP
    Drew_

Drew_ Member

Pasteurization is irrelevant.

6. pugsley

pugsley Member

Pasteurisation is different to Homogenisation.

Pasteurisation is done to kill off bacteria and prohibit its growth.
    Homogenisation suspends the cream in the milk and keeps it emulsified to prevent separation of the milk and cream like you hear all the oldies talk about when they relive their childhood of milk delivered to your door in glass bottles with foil lids. :p

The good old days.

7. Goldminer

Goldminer Member

oh bugger. my apologies!

8. crix75

crix75 Member

Here in Adelaide there is a variety of non homogenised milk available. There's the BD Paris Creek one, the Alexandrina Cheese company one and the Fleuriou (Spelling?) Peninsula one..

I only ever drink non homogenised milk..

9. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

10. aloysius

aloysius Member

Bugger the elgar and ashgrove...the hands down best I have tasted is the Pyengana Dairy Company "Real Milk" which is pasturised and non homogonised. sooo good. Its available in tassie in Coles and Woolworths...not sure how far it spans on big island. Good excuse to move to tassie though...we got all the good stuff :D

11. bl4ck32

bl4ck32 Member

This is my fav milk. Has the cream separated from the milk like the ol glass bottle days...

http://www.bdfarmpariscreek.com.au/

12. crix75

crix75 Member

I usually have the Alexandrina Cheese Co one. It's pure Jersey cow milk which has the highest cream levels.. I've also met some of the cows..

Parmalat/Pauls do a non homogenised milk, have a look here.

13. James_B

James_B Member

We have some here in QLD, some green save the planet name and costs twice as much but mm its good.

14. lethoso

lethoso Member

I still remember that, and I'm hardly an "oldie"

15. pugsley

pugsley Member

:D

I guess it all depends on where you were and when it was phased out. I dont remember it (25 here) but i was told stories of how the magpies learnt to bust through the tops and take the cream.

But i do remember when the Noddy's man used to come around to drop off our couple bottles of softdrink for the week.

16. mrs dan77

mrs dan77 Member

We get some delivered to our work each week.

Kreang based, here is the best link they have.
    You'd probably have to get it couriered to Melb, which would add considerable price to a simple carton of milk!

It's true. It's illegal to sell unpasteurised milk in Australia. I do wish it was possible to be able to choose to drink raw milk though.
    I still grew up on unpasteurised fresh goat milk. All the bottles were labelled, "Unpasteurised pet milk only"!

17. The MWNN

The MWNN Member

you can still get unpasteurised milk legally.

The two ways I get it are to buy the milk specifically labeled as "Bath milk" (cleopatras is good brand) This labeling is simply a workaround for the retarded laws regard unpasteurised milk in Australia.

The second way is to own the cow producing the milk. Its not illegal to drink unpastuerised milk from your own cow, this is doable by buying into a "herd share" arrangement. Basically you purchase a share of the cow herd from the farmer for a nominal amount (I paid $10) and you are then able to buy and drink all the milk you want from that herd, unpastuerised as nature intended.

Once you've has the real deal you wont go back to the shit on supermarket shelves.

Ah and the 3rd way is to buy and milk your own cow :) Some breeds like "Dexter" are only as big as a large dog and produce a good amount of milk for a single family.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  18. heist82

heist82 Member

lol... we are humans not cows... if we want milk we should be farming human females... :p

19. The MWNN

The MWNN Member

I don't buy this argument. By that logic we shouldn't cultivate and eat grains/vegetables either as they certainly weren't "designed" solely for human consumption like human breast milk.

Humans and cows have a symbiotic relationship.

They provide us with meat, milk, fertilizer and lawn mowing services.

We provide them with protection from predators, disease and extreme weather.

20. tunagirll

tunagirll Member

What he said, Cleopatra's is good stuff. It's also Jersey milk!

Would love to add a Dexter cow to the property but we're full atm having just picked up 2 rescue horses can't squeeze anything more in!