1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Where to get Lithium Ion/polomer cells

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by Sam_Q, Oct 16, 2006.

1. Sam_Q

Sam_Q Member

Hey guys I am looking for some lithium Ion or Lithium Polomer (lipo) cells for the lighting system on my bike. Apart from Remote control car shops, where else can I get them at an afordable price? secon dhand is ok too.

I want around 2 to 4AH

2. Nightmare

Nightmare Member

Ebay in the R/C Section? I did see a shop with batteries rated at 100Amps continues but forget URL now :(

2nd hand? ouch. you do know how unstable these things are if over drained or over charged? Personally I would not touch any 2nd hand ones.

3. OP
    OP
    Sam_Q

Sam_Q Member

I have looked on there, while they have a 100A amp battary they have very little in terms of 2Ah of more. Infact I think when I checked I only saw one 4ah 11.6V battery which wasn't bad but I want to know if I can get it cheaper.

When I said second hand I meant slightly used, I know these things can be tempremental.

4. LethalCorpse

LethalCorpse Member

Use the smaller capacity cells in parallel. Doubles the discharge rate and the capacity.

5. wanarace

wanarace Member

Out of laptop battery's, Big Li-Ion cells on average 4000+ ah 3.6v each. Have a look on Ebay etc...

6. nux

nux Member

7. Nightmare

Nightmare Member

Hmm no the ones I seen where 5Ah... from 2s (7.2V) to 6s (22.2v)
    http://b-p-p.com/proddetail.php?prod=l_H5000
    prices are in $USD. You prolly don't need 20-30c do you? - you would get away with cheaper cells.

8. The CK

The CK Member

couple of things...
    AFAIK its illegal to ship lithium batteries by air or something like that... so many places in the US won't ship them overseas, (so find one that will :) )

Second what sorts of current do you need from these batteries? probably up to 3 amps is okay for standard li-ion's of around 2-4ah, but if we are talking significantly higher then its probably best to look at (expensive) radio control lipolys.

Still for lighting li-ion should be fine, a torch powered by a couple of li-ion cells can get pretty bright.
    I'd probably look at using 18650 li-ions (so 18mm dia, 65mm length) as they are fairly common and cheap, and about the capacity you want. Of course there are often some places selling surplus rectangular lithium cells cheaply, so maybe if you search the web long enough you might find some. keep in mind that lithiums have a limited shelf life so try to avoid batteries that are really old. And don't buysecond hands! no really... don't (And I made myself sad :( )

so anyway about 18650's, some of them have protection circuits and some of them don't. Protected cells hopefully wont EXPLODE when you over/under change them or if you short them... but there have been some problems with some flashlights - if you're using things that draw high current, or things which have a high turn on current draw, then the protection circuit thinks its shorted and switches it off. For some high power flashlights you have to turn it on and off a few times to get it to work (see here ). Still most of the people on CPF will only use protected cells, but AFAIK the lipoly cells used in R/C are not protected??? Generally if the cells don't state that they are protected, then they aren't (an excpetion being that g&p r500 battery on ebay I think?)

Anyway as to 18650 availability, you can check ebay, buy from a guy on CPF, or just google for 18650's.
    Some cells are better than others but most 18650's over 2000mah should be ok.

Edit: of course you can always use laptop batteries :) but its more of a hassle IMO and 18650's aren't that expensive anyway...

Last edited: Oct 16, 2006
  9. Goth

Goth Grumpy Member

I don't think individual cells will have protection electronics... but battery packs will.

If you're wiring up a pack yourself, from loose cells, then you might need to source and incorporate a suitable protection / sensor dongle.

10. Nightmare

Nightmare Member

:shock: :shock: :(
    Yeah?, I've not heard of any R/C guys having problems, my lipo RX pack for the nitro came from the USA. (though different shop to the link I provided)

11. Caffeine

Caffeine Member

12. Goth

Goth Grumpy Member

Maybe that only applies if they're Sony batteries??

13. Iffracem

Iffracem Member

http://www.rclithiumpower.com/

Aus company, they cell single "cells" and premade packs, will also make to order.

I've bought from them, no problems at all.

JJ

14. The CK

The CK Member

You may be right.. I'm almost positive that non rechargeable lithiums are banned from air travel... but maybe rechargeable lithiums are ok?

15. Xassius

Xassius Member

16. Secateurs

Secateurs Member

17. L0che

L0che Member

Its a pity manufacturers dont make a 3.6V lithium cell the size and shape of two AA batteries side-by-side. If they are compatable with NiMH charging, that would be a good replacement.

18. OP
    OP
    Sam_Q

Sam_Q Member

unfortunetly they require special chargers

well I decdied for sure to go for a bank of AA cells, heaps less screwing around that way and heaps cheaper.

19. Nightmare

Nightmare Member

Yup, using any other charger will be "interesting".... If you have not seen it go google for exploding over charging batteries. :)