where to get rid of a horse in Vic?

Discussion in 'Pets & Animals' started by noober69, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Soc

Soc Member

Call the zoo.
    Explain the situation and they may be able to give him a home for a while before he's... Ummm... Put to good use. (Humanely)

It sounds horrible, but I know Mogo zoo have a happy little horse paddock for horses just to roam around in until one day they go for a walk...

Edit: id much prefer to see him live out his days happy in a paddock somewhere Til he died naturally or humanely if there is injuries etc... That being said, I'd also prefer to see an animal carcass get used rather that buried.

2. OP
    OP
    noober69

noober69 Member

Thanks for the advice, I had the farrier out to trim his feet last week, and he really has trouble walking now. That is usual for a day or so after a trim with many horses, but if he doesn't walk better soon the issue will how to put him out of his misery.
    He was very good when being trimmed, easy to catch and just stood there without complaint, which just makes it harder as apart from his feet he is pretty much faultless.

3. Devils

Devils (Taking a Break)

When I read the title "get rid of a horse" it is really concerning.

The horse abattoirs buy at horse sales and from anybody who is naive enough to give away horses for free. Professionals in the horse industry know this and make sure their unwanted horses are not killed.

Horse meat is approved for human consumption in some states.

http://www.australianhorserescue.co...ttoirs-knackeries-wastage-and-related-issues/

4. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

So what happened to the horse? New home, dead or eaten?