1. Win some Team Group goodies in OCAU's latest contest!
    Dismiss Notice

Where to start with NAS

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by Heatpipe, Aug 27, 2019.

1. Heatpipe

Heatpipe Member

I'd like to coalesce all the media in my house, ideally to stream all the movies and music I own via wired or wireless. Is something like a QNAP TS-431P fit my purpose ? I do have several 2TB hdd that can be repurposed.

2. HobartTas

HobartTas Member

Probably as they all seem to have the same software features but I don't know much about NAS units overall other than to say that a fair amount of people tend to prefer Synology units over QNAP ones. The other issue is the CPU and not knowing much about the "AnnapurnaLabs, an Amazon company Alpine AL-212, 2-core, 1.7GHz 32-bit ARM" as it may not have enough grunt to do things like transcoding so you may need a more powerful one. I suggest someone else chimes in regarding this aspect with their opinion before you decide to purchase it or not.

3. Lazlo999

Lazlo999 Member

If you have an old pc just use that and freenas. Install plex plugin and your all set its relatively easy to setup and run, if you have issues youtube them thatshow i learnt how to use it.

4. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

First Question: How much space for files do you require.
    Second Question: Do you want fancy streaming server stuff, or are you just going to use it via basic network shares on a PC?
    Third: Are you looking for a pre-built solution, or are you willing to build your own?

First simple option is buy a QNAP or Synology NAS and disks. Pretty simple setup, well supported. Cons: Very expensive. Even a 2 bay Synology NAS will cost upwards of $500. QNAP is a bit more affordable, but they aren't quite as polished.

2nd & 3rd options are build your own PC and use either UNRAID or FREENAS. Use old equipment or cheap equipment (or build a monster). It's my understanding that Unraid is easier to work with than Freenas, but unraid does cost money for a license.

I built a 5 disk N54L Microserver using Xpenlogy, although I'm not sure how the community for that is still going, I think the latest gen microservers aren't that good for it either. If I were building a nas now I think I'd do an unraid build.

5. broccoli

broccoli Member

Other way around, IMO.

As mentioned, it depends whether you really need to stream (as in play on the server and send it to another device) or just stick all the media on the NAS and play the files locally . If the latter, just about any old thing is good enough. The page for that model you mention does say it can stream media, so it should do what you want (either way).

6. T1tan

T1tan Member

The Qnap431 will be good for storage and low end server requirements (sharing files, transmission, ftp etc) or twonky media server which more or less just says "hey I've got files here" to dlna devices. Don't bother considering plex if that's the model you go. More expensive offerings are entirely possible for plex streaming though. IIRC, You require a minimum of about 2000 pass mark cpu per plex 1080p stream. You will spend about $4-600 for an off the shelf NAS that is properly plex capable, then add hdd's to that.

I was looking at a 431 to replace my ageing 459 myself but then decided otherwise. I could have re-purposed my existing desktop but also decided otherwise, so I'm in the process of building a cheap xeon nas using the abundant second hand parts market and serverbuilds.net as my guide. It reads to me like you haven't done much research (or don't want to) so you need to figure out the 3 points macktheknife asks.

My biggest poo at my qnap, and the reason im building a nas, is because I want to be able to expand my array of hdd's at any time - I began looking at 6+ drive off the shelf NAS's and then almost shat myself at the prices.

Hardware for me: https://forums.serverbuilds.net/t/n...er-efficient-and-flexible-starting-at-125/667
    with some sensible changes.

Software (the build has evolved year to year, I recommend you look at each one successively if it interest you):
    https://blog.linuxserver.io/2016/02/02/the-perfect-media-server-2016/
    https://blog.linuxserver.io/2017/06/24/the-perfect-media-server-2017/
    https://blog.linuxserver.io/2019/07/16/perfect-media-server-2019/

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
  7. OP
    OP
    Heatpipe

Heatpipe Member

Main purpose is to create one point for the tv to access movies and for two computers to access music and movies. I've got about 6TB of stuff and I've got 9TB in potential hdds that i can use. For the price of the TS-431P and one more hdd it should be decent

8. dimension11

dimension11 Member

For versatility, power, and expandability, nothing will beat a regular desktop, however depending on the number of HDD bays you may have to get a larger case or mods for a case (Eg. you can get mods for your 5.25" bay that lets you fit 4 HDDs into 3 slots). The other consideration is the power (wattage) consumption, which will invariably be higher than a NAS. But components will overall be cheaper and you can expand and add more RAM, SATA ports (via a PCI-Express card) as you like. The main downside is that you'll need to maintain it more (Eg. windows updates, software updates) and it occupies more space relative to a NAS.

hairy likes this.
  9. broccoli

broccoli Member

If that's your only need, then one of the QNAPs or other brands will do that. That model you're looking at says it'll stream movies, so presumably that processor is sufficient. The cheaper models with low-end processors might be slow and can be more limited in what you can install.
    I'd suggest biting the bullet and just getting something and then deciding for yourself. Somebody will buy it if you decide you don't like it. There's a reasonable demand for NASes.

EDIT: I do what you're wanting to except I'm a single user, my NASes have atom processors. No great shakes, but they are fine at doing it.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
  10. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Anything that does DLNA will meet your needs.

11. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

As with many things in life convenience has a cost.

NAS:
    Easy
    Support
    Low power/space

DIY:
    Expandable
    Cheaper per disk

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
    dimension11 likes this.
  12. aokman

aokman Member

If you want an off the shelf solution then go with Synology, never had an issue with them. QNAP yeah you get a lot for your money but their software and interface is pretty rubbish.

DIY is my personal choice.