Which 144hz Freesync Monitor?

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by spank36, Mar 17, 2019.

1. spank36

spank36 Member

I want to take advantage of the 10% off ebay sales to grab a new screen. I bought an AOC AG322QC4 a few weeks ago but had to return it because of a couple of dead pixels. It was pretty good, but I'm open to other screens, 27" or bigger.

From what I can see, the Acer XZ321QU looks like the exact same screen as the AOC but not Freesync 2 certified and only $494 delivered, there are next to no reviews on it though. Good stand too. The AOC CQ32G1 is $437 delivered and seems to be the same panel, but no HDR and without USB or a height adjustable stand (I don't need USB). Reviews are positive on it.

I dig the Samsung CHG70 27 inch variant but I can't get it for a good price. Umart have it for $485 but then you have to pay stupid $105 delivery on top of it!

Any other suggestions? I could just grab the QC4 again for $566 but it seems a bit of a waste when the CQ32G1 is nearly the same for so cheap and the Acer $70 cheaper.

2. OP
    OP
    spank36

spank36 Member

Righto for anyone who cares, I pulled the trigger on the Acer XZ321QU just before the sale ended, mainly because it has a height adjustable stand over the AOC CQ321Q1. Its an eBay plus item so if I don't like it I can just return it. I'll do a review up too because there are bugger all reviews on that particular monitor.

nope likes this.
  3. boneburner

boneburner Member

yes - few reviews are a pain. I'm (kind of) in the market too - and the one ive got my eye on, released just 4 weeks ago has only 2 reviews so far - one in german and one in dutch....

4. OP
    OP
    spank36

spank36 Member

Which one are you looking at boneburner?

5. boneburner

boneburner Member

i was hoping you wouldnt ask.... they r hard to find atm - the MSI Optix 321CQR - the R on the end is IMPORTANT - the old version has same number without the R

6. OP
    OP
    spank36

spank36 Member

From what I can see, its the exact same VA panel as the rest of the 32 inch 144hz screens but without HDR or freesync 2 certification and it costs more (from Harvey Norman at least). Yes the HDR isn't great, but you've still got it there and some people are rating it. I'd pick up one of the others unless the looks and RGB are going to be really important to you. The AOC CQ32G1, Viewsonic VX3258 or over $200 cheaper for the same specification and the Acer I just bought is $150 cheaper (bit older but I'll see how the performance is).

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  7. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Im looking at an AOC CQ32G1 while discounts are available too, does anyone here have one?

Any other monitors to consider an an upgrade over my trusty qnix?

:)

8. OP
    OP
    spank36

spank36 Member

I'm really rating the Acer, much better colour than the aoc I bought and the stand is fantastic. Looks nicer too

Last edited: May 1, 2019
  9. Voltus

Voltus Member

I just pulled the rigger on a Viewsonic VX3258 for $468, Ill have it in a few days.. I could have gone the AOC $600 one, with Freesync 2 and Fake HDR, but couldn't justify it with a Nvidia card. (apparently you need HDMI for one of the features and Nvidia needs DP for 144hz)

10. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

wow that's some good value screens.

11. OP
    OP
    spank36

spank36 Member

Yep it was HDMI only as I found out with my Fury. I didn't rate the AOC any where near as much as my Acer and it was much more expensive. I bought a Viewsonic over 10 years ago and it is still going strong on my brothers computer!

12. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

Keep in mind that these are QHD (1440p), curved screen, VA panel, and in at least one case, discontinued models, that's why they're relatively low in price. They should give better image reproduction (colour + contrast) because of the VA panel, but they're curved to hide the relatively poor off-angle viewing quality of VAs. That's not to say they're bad monitors as such, I haven't seen them in person. But I'm just pointing out the reason why these are so cheap.

13. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

just seem like a good compromise in terms of features for the price. that 500$ mark is about as high as i want to go. then again im not really for the gaming these days which pushes me toward lower specced/priced ips panels....maybe even a 4k one. dont know still thinking about it.

14. mozmo

mozmo Member

I recommend the LG 32GK650F. It's the same panel used in the GSync version which is regarded as one of the best VA panels for response times.

It's flat so no curved nonsense, really good viewing angles for VA and it works flawlessly with nvidia cards and freesync. I use it personally and came from a Acer Gsync XB271HU, extremely pleased with this panel, surpassed all my expectations.

I also have a xbox one X connected to it via hdmi and freensync works find on xbox too.

Reviews below, the difference between the 650F and 850F is 650F is SDR color gamut same as the Gsync version. Paying more HDR is a waste since the panel isn't nearly bright enough to do it justices(350-400nits).

https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/lg-32gk850f/
    https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/lg-32gk850g/

aussie-revhead likes this.
  15. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

That sounds great, it fits the price range (sub $500) and its not curved, sounds like a winner

Thanks mozmo

:thumbup:

16. mozmo

mozmo Member

Hard to say because of sample size, but the unit I got had no dead pixels and no backlight bleed, so quality control appears to be good. I had to go through 2 xb271hu to get a good one for comparison. I bought my one through harvey norman price matching scorptecs price.

17. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

That seems pretty good, especially as they're down to $488 at at some places as aussie-revhead says (E.g., at scorptec), originally around $800+

The only question I have is why is it officially specced at 3,000:1 contrast ratio, when even the worst TNs are rated in the 10K-100K:1 ratios? I know all manufacturers essentially make up these numbers, but why would LG willingly show them as having such a low contrast? Especially as VAs have better contrast than most panels?

18. Voltus

Voltus Member

Thats really good information I may go down to Harvey Norman and make them price match Scorptec. Id rather LG over Viewsonic and its only a few dollars more for non-curved

19. Voltus

Voltus Member

Can someone please look at these comparisons and tell me which one is better.. I need to decide in the next couple of days... it seems the Viewsonic has better colours and brightness, but the LG has flat screen and a better ergonomics. I just want a good all rounder, for some gaming and some Video.
    here is a direct comparison, cables dont matter but t its nice the LG comes with a DP cable since i have a 1070.

https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/comparison/9e97af6de

20. OP
    OP
    spank36

spank36 Member

The ViewSonic has been getting good reviews. If it's cheap grab it. They are a top brand and have a great pixel policy last I checked.

I would 100% buy another Acer XZ321QU, especially for the price I got it for. The colours are fantastic and I have no issues with the response rate. It has a great stand and came with 3 cables. The LG has been getting good write ups too if you wanted a flat panel. I've found the curved ones I've had to be pretty good though.

In regards to contrast, if something like a tn panel says 100000k contrast, it's full of shit. Va panels have very good contrast and do roughly 2000+ depending on the panel when measured properly. Tn panels will typically be in the 1000 range.