Which 144hz Freesync Monitor?

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by spank36, Mar 17, 2019.

1. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

Yep, manufacturers generally state impractical ratios such as when a single pixel is totally off vs. displaying 100% brightness, as opposed to the actual (much lower) ratio of bright:dark in a mixed scene. Only high-end OLEDs list realistic contrast ratios (infinity:1 :) ).

The confusion however was over the fact that LG would willingly state a realistic contrast ratio, when manufacturers generally don't do this, even for VAs. For example, the ACER XZ321QU VA panel you've mentioned has a listed contrast ratio of "100,000,000:1". Anyway, the short answer is that it is indeed the "static" (real, native, whatever you want to call it) contrast ratio that LG has listed as 3,000:1, and they seem to avoid listing the dynamic contrast ratio (e.g. see Voltus' link above, there's no entry for the dynamic contrast ratio for the LG). Kudos to LG for doing that. The other VA panels in the same category have the same sort of native contrast ratio btw, so the LG is not problematic in that respect. Again, it looks like a good pick for a flat 32" gaming panel that gives good image quality and response time at under $500.

2. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

How do you guys know if a screen has excessive input lag? I mean is there a list or something you can check before you buy? Or do manufacturers generally list this spec? I'm worried that while they will openly show specs for a quick panel they might hide specs for a slow panel.

:)

3. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

I wouldn't go by manufacturer spec, even if they provide it for input lag. Just like contrast ratio, there is no set standard, so the manufacturer will simply pick the most optimistic value based on optimal, often unrealistic or undesirable, conditions. It needs to be independently verified. I'd check reviews, and something like this can be helpful:
    https://www.rtings.com/monitor/tests/inputs/input-lag

From what I've read and seen, while the latest VA panels like the LG rate highly in terms of minimal input lag, if you're a twitch gamer and/or very sensitive to input lag, there's a good chance you'll notice it on a VA compared to a TN or IPS; it's just the nature of the technology. They use tricks to reduce the impact of lag, but this can result in "ghosting" on fast-moving objects as some people report.

Personally, I'd be all over a VA panel as I don't game much, certainly not fast gaming, and I prefer the better image quality of a VA (esp. contrast). The only reason I'm not jumping on one of these deals is that I want a true 4K panel for future-proofing (my use includes movies at times), and there's no way a decent 32" 4K quick response VA panel is going to fall under $1K for quite some time.

4. Voltus

Voltus Member

Well I probably wont be getting the LG 650F because Harvey norman Wont Price match with Scorptec for me.. I was refused the price match by the Store "owner" based on the fact that the retailer I quoted was not "Local" though Scorptec have multiple stores, in Sydney and Melbourne Which are actual brick and mortar stores.. I was then told the model I wanted was different from the model they had, as Scorptec advertising said the Monitor has a 5 ms refresh time, where Harvey Norman Advert said it was 1MS ( which is actually false advertising) No VA panels are 1MS naturally. But the Store manager (owner) did not understand the product. So I was refused a legitimate price match because the price I wanted him to match was apparently too low. Harvey want $698 which is a joke. oh right he said " our model number has a B at the end" I said " its the same panel" he "said no it isnt"... I got mad. I said I dont care about the price matching anymore - Just get your facts straight - no VA panel is 1MS. he said - sorry its not the same product - you can have it for a great price though- $590 - $100 off! I said " thats not a great price lol, thats a scam"

Last edited: May 7, 2019
  5. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Yeah stuff that, I do have a Harveys near my local Scorptec but I would rather support the pc store for the same money.

6. Voltus

Voltus Member

I didnt mean to Hijack this thread, sorry about that but its just that im in the market right now..

I did, however get a reply from the Store Proprietor regarding my Online complaint.

Hi (Voltus)

Thank you for taking the time to write in your complaint.

To confirm our price match policy with you, it states that we will price match ‘leading retailers’, Scorptec, does not qualify as a leading retailer.

That all being the case, as you have chosen to support your local area, I am happy to sell the monitor to you for $539 (this includes the $50 postage and handling fee they charge online) Which is a direct price match to the retailer in Melbourne.

If you wish to take up this offer, please do not hesitate to come into the store.

Dean Reinke

Proprietor

Harvey Norman Tweed Heads Computers.

Edit - Ill be getting the Viewsonic for $468 at Umart.

banshee and nope like this.
  7. nope

nope Member

lol what a load of bunk i hate that i gave up on retailers ages ago

8. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Manufacturers lie. That's what we call "marketing". Instead, refer to third parties who use objective, repeatable tests with professional hardware.

This is one such site:
    And another: https://displaylag.com/display-database/

Both sites use sub-millisecond-accurate measurement hardware.

9. Voltus

Voltus Member

something interesting:
    I replied to his email,

"Dean,
    Thanks for the fast reply I do appreciate the counter offer, but for this Monitor I cannot pay more than $500. The LG 850F Model with HDR and Freesync 2 is going for around $600 and that’s a new product. This Monitor I am looking at today is actually discontinued.

Unless you can sell the product for $500 or less, I have to go with a different product from a different retailer.

Regards,
    (Voltus)"

then he replied:

"Hi (Voltus), if you head into the store tomorrow, you can have the unit for $500 mate. I’m sorry it took us this long to get to an agreement. In retrospect, I would hate for $500 to go towards another retailers bottom line over mine.

See William, the salesmen that helped you firstly, as I am away tomorrow in Brisbane. Hopefully next time we see you, we can offer you the customer service standards that we train on each and everyday.

Cheers."

So in the end I can buy the LG 650F for $500 which is reasonable, but this whole experience has soured the purchase for me to be honest.

terroristone likes this.
  10. terroristone

terroristone Member

in the past 23 years ive mostly used the same retail store for my parts, i only used 1 other store in Australia as they had the items i wanted and 1 overseas. I've never bothered asking for price matching as i have developed a very good relationship with my local and they always give me decent prices (under retail) without me asking for it. Being a mechanic a customer who jumps from shop to shop is called a workshop slut in the industry and usually dosnt earn any reason to receive a discount...food for thought. Be loyal, be friendly and you'll be surprised what you get in return.

T1

11. Voltus

Voltus Member

I do understand that, ive always been loyal to Umart, since probably 2006, but in this instance they dont stock the monitor i wanted, i even asked if they could source it for me and they said probably not. They dont really do price matching because they ARE the cheapest, however i thought id give HN a go this time. I might even go buy it now since he did give me what i wanted in the end. Ill sleep on it.

12. nope

nope Member

yeah i mean it all depends on your bartering skills.
    Sadly its 99% cheaper on ebay with free shipping + codes most of the time so i cbf haggling

13. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

Just buy it and enjoy it, after a little while the annoyance of haggling for it will pass and you'll be happy with it. Whether we like it or not, none of this is going to make any difference to smaller retailers in the long run, the writing's been on the wall for ages. For every 5 loyal customers, there will be hundreds who will always buy the cheapest, wherever it may be.

/EDIT: I somehow attributed the quote to the wrong person!

Last edited: May 8, 2019
  14. nope

nope Member

yeah because its a better service? Ive had no problems with ebay warranty over the years but retailers are dreadful they quibble and nickle/dime me even pccg and others.

15. Sledge

Sledge Member

speaking of haggling for a screen....
    found a screen on gumtree for $800, and asked his best price.. which was $700.
    i offered $650 which he turned down..
    found his ad on ebay starting at $550..
    bidded $550 for it.. no one else made a bid so got it for $550... win!
    he should have taken my first offer maybe :)

banshee, nope and Voltus like this.
  16. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Haha I saw that one too :D

Last edited: May 8, 2019
  17. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

I know I should leave this, but... how does PCCG "quibble and nickle/dime" you? They have a published price, you pay the price, they send you the product. Unless you haggle with them, in which case, technically, you're the one who's quibbling and nickle/diming them.

18. Sledge

Sledge Member

And you didn't go for it?
    It would have been a bit closer for you haha :)

19. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Bit closer but not close, that was Newcastle area right (from memory).

He was talking about difficulties with warranty.

20. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

You're right, my bad :(

Warranty shouldn't be an issue these days, most of the time it's covered by manufacturer's warranty or statutory warranty, and whether an online store or a bricks and mortar retailer, or an ebay/marketplace seller, if they want to jerk you around they can - it depends on the individual, not on whether they're or a local retailer, ebayer, or whatever.

Ultimately, you can get the manufacturer directly involved and they usually prompt the other party into doing the correct thing, or get you to send it back direct to them once you've uploaded some proof of purchase docs. You can use Paypal buyer protection or credit card chargeback to get them to play ball.

I had a local retailer and repair shop give me the runaround on a plasma TV I bought some years ago. Got fed up with it, went direct to Panasonic with some bad online reviews of the repairer I'd rounded up, and Panasonic directed them to do the right thing ASAP.

Anyway, we should get back to the monitors. Has anybody bought one of these VA panels yet aside from the OP, and if so, what are your thoughts?