Which 3D LED TV?

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by scorpia, Feb 27, 2011.

1. scorpia

scorpia Member

Guys,

Im hoping someone here can help me with some mroe info.

Im looking at purchasing a new 3d LED TV in about 2 weeks time.
    Im limiting the budget to $2.5K. may go a tiny bit over if needed but i hope not.

I am hoping to get at least a 46-47" TV with 4 sets of glasses.
    Seems like the LED screens are the go in this price range with the possible exception of the panasonic neo.

So far the contenders are in no perticular order.

1. LG 47LX6500 - Nice TV, non refective panel, 3 year warrenty, 200Hz etc etc. 1 style of 3d glasses , seem ok but not cheap.

2. LG 47LX9500 - Nice specs, glass panel could be an issue for reflection. to pricey? 3 year warrenty

3. Sony 46HX800 - Seems to be the cheapest of them atm but that could change next week. cheapest glasses? but they are non rechargable. 1 year warrenty, lowest power usage.

4. Samsung 46c7000 - Seems to be the one everyone is pushing atm. specs seem ok , 1 year warrenty. pricey for the specs?

Anyway, im trying to work out which way to go. until today i was leaning towards the LG 6500 or possibly the 9500 if i can get it cheap enough but today i went into a sony shop and it seems the HX800 is being sold cheap for a while. seems the 50"+ is out of the pricerange if i stay with the LED.

I mainly want it for an everyday FTA TV (melbourne) and foxtel with 3D content coming from a PC for gaming and possibly HTPC for some 3d movies etc.

has anyone got any comments on models etc, have you used/owned any. any suggestions etc etc.

2. HyRax1

HyRax1 ¡Viva la Resolutión!

Can't comment on the LG, but the Samsung in 3D mode is too flickery IMO and gives you a headache when watching for more than 30 minutes. I find the Samsung also only looks its best in Vivid mode which is fine for animated movies, but looks too strong for normal TV.

I find the Sony is far better balanced and the 3D is non-flicker as well (as long as you are not under fluro lights), and the 3D glasses are a lot more comfortable than the Samsung as well for prolonged use. Sure, they batteries are not rechargeable, but they last a good couple of months of near continuous use.

3. msconfig

msconfig Member

If you can wait then hold on for a month or two (don't know the exact date) when Samsung will release their new series of TV's - D6400, D7000 and D8000 and Panasonic releases their line of TV's. Sure it may be expensive at first and maybe not your cup of tea however they will push down the prices of the current TV offerings

4. MotoMan

MotoMan Member

For 3D purposes you'd be mad not to get a plasma..

I picked up the 58" Samsung 7 series today.. Have it at home and played Killzone 3 and COD:BO today in 3D.. WOW is all i can say..

The 50" can be had for just over $1k (although you should get the extended warranty)

Samsung also does a fantastic job with FTA and lower quality sources

5. HyRax1

...and then in two months time, you'll want to wait another two months for the next release.

You will never have the latest and greatest. You are far better off picking up the EOL models nice and cheap.

Yeah, but plasma also drinks bucketloads of energy... Sony and I think Samsung have released 7-star rated TV's already...

6. OP
    OP
    scorpia

scorpia Member

Why would you say a plasma is the way to go for 3D? can you be more specific?

and looking at the power consumption of the samsung plasma (800KWish)its twice the LG (450KWish) and samsung (450KWish) LED models and almost 3 times the sony (316KWish).

The Panasonic is better (550KWish) but still worse than the LED's.

other than power consumption and cost any other reasons to pick a plasma over the LED's?

I would love to know more about the LG's if anyone has one as it and the Sony are front runners in my mind atm.

7. MotoMan

MotoMan Member

Once configured the power use isn't a huge difference.. based on current energy costs and running for 8 hours a day, every day.. you would be looking at $80-$100 extra per year

Even if the plasma uses twice the amount of energy this is what you are looking at
    LCD 150w constant due to backlighting always on (not sure if local dimming changes this) = 3c an hour to run
    Plasma 300w varies depending on the brightness of the picture = 6c an hour to run

So based on the cost of the initial outlay
    LCD $2500 (the ones listed)
    Plasma $1200 (Top of the range LG or Samsung 50" 3D model, massive price drops recently)

It would take 13+ years before you are even..

Do yourself a favour and go look at both plasma and lcd instore.. (the 3d models)

Plasmas seem to handle 3D alot better.. Faster refresh, less flicker (from my recent rounds looking for a new TV)

Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  8. OP
    OP
    scorpia

scorpia Member

Its going to be around 2 weeks time anyway and it seems that the samsung sales are on allready.

I was told by a shop salesmen today that samsung are saying 4 weeks till the new models he was suggesting that would mean 6-8 weeks.

Im playing it by ear and if i need to wait an extra week or two to get the better deal then i will.

the sony store also said new models were on the way which is why the HX800 was on special. again another 4 weeks away till the new models. im assuming the LG's are similar

9. HyRax1

Add to that the extra heat generated making plasmas awful to use in a closed room during summer too.

I've not seen any flicker from Sony's under non-fluro light. The glasses merely appear tinted rather than any visible "shutter flash".

Definitely good advice. At the end of the day you have to buy what looks good to you.

10. OP
    OP
    scorpia

scorpia Member

Yes i will be definately trying the TV's in store before i buy. I got the family to try the samsung glasses and sony glasses today and the comment was that the sony were more comfortable than the samsungs as they seemed tighter with glasses under them.

I have tried the LG 9500 series and im happy with the 3d and glasses but external lights were flickery.

the samsung seemed to be ok but nothing special.

i was happy with the sony i saw today but it wasnt the 46hx800 it was a $4k 55" model. so i dont know if i can compare the picture. but the glasses were fine.

I would like to try the PC in 3d mode before i buy but we will see how we go with that.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
  11. HyRax1

3D mode and physical glasses are identical across all Sony models - the differences are extra features like MotionFlow or other image-enhancing functions.

Just a note on that, you must use a gfx card that outputs in "3D TV-compatible" 3D. The first-gen 3D modes for PC gfx cards do their own thing with PC 3D glasses and are not compatible with the 3D mode on TV's.

12. MotoMan

MotoMan Member

Older plasmas yes.. and while the newer plasmas will put out more heat than a led lcd, they aren't the room heaters they used to be :thumbup:

13. Zee

Zee Member

exactly

I wouldn't say that. If you actully set a plasma up properly, especially the latest models, they are not that far behind for energy consumption.

OP - I've got a thread int he Sponsor Specials section on various Samsung TV's - look through the thread to see if there is anything you like.

Z...

14. OP
    OP
    scorpia

scorpia Member

I hope to take my GTX460 with latest drivers and hopefully will have the 14 day trial of the 3dtv play driver.

my main worry is being allowed to come and plug my pc into the showroom for testing :)

ZEE: Once i decide I will definatly keep you in mind. but probably wont be till at the earliest next week maybe even later until the money arrives . so cant do anything before then

15. DRAGONKZ

DRAGONKZ Member

I was in a similar situiation a few weeks ago.

After reading 50 odd reviews and looking at and comparing various models in various stores, I ended up getting a Sony HX800.

Sony's 3D implementation seemed to look the best, and was flicker free.

Sony has a promition on at the moment and are giving 1 x glasses and 1 x 3D receiver away for free with selected 3D TVs (Including the HX800)

There is a new model coming out soon, but the main new feature seemed to be that the 3D receiver was now inbuilt, which in my eyes was not worth waiting for.

If your budget is $2500, you may even be able to get away with a current 55" model.

I picked up my 55" HX800 with 3D transmitter and 2 x glasses for $2500 delivered (Store was in QLD, I'm in Syd) and from what I can see, they can still be had for a similar price.

If you read some reviews, they all currently point to the following:

Best 3D Plasma - Panasonic "VT" Series
    Best 3D LED - Sony "HX800" Series

16. msconfig

msconfig Member

Usually I would agree with you but given that such a major refresh is due by the 3 larger players in the industry I would certainly wait if I wasn't desperate for a TV.

17. OP
    OP
    scorpia

scorpia Member

yes i must say everything i read says the HX800 is good.

About the only thing i can see being an issue with the 55" is the 4 glasses requirement. other than that i think it could be done on current pricing.

so we will see. waiting on money now.

18. Aequitas

Aequitas Member

just a question, how much 3D content are you really going to be watching? i have seen the LED screens and they are just so fake looking. it really is distracting when watching movies. i would stay away from LED for a while till they get the issues with having to have vivid enabled to get any sort of contast going. still the black levels were not very good.

good brand new plasmas 7 series samsung and v series panasonics are far nicer to watch and enjoy, and usually alot less cash.

19. HyRax1

Not sure if you can get much blacker when the LED is physically off in black areas of the display...

20. OP
    OP
    scorpia

scorpia Member

I dont think I will be watching much 3D at all. infact other than games probably be virtually none. let be honest there aint alot of content out there.

but I allready decided i dont mind paying the extra for 3d,

As for plasma / Led debate, to my eyes i cant see alot/any of difference between the two different types to look at. maybe thats becuase my current Acer TV is such low quality everything else looks good.

If i was going to go a plasma i think it would be a Panasonic Neo. they seem to have almost solved the power usage issue and seem to be a leader in 3d as well as having a good overall TV.
    The main thing about the Samsung plasma is why buy it over a panasonic? it seems to be the panasonic (at the same lvl sceen) is a better screen.

the same seems to be said at the LED screens. why buy a samsung when there are better sets avalable for the same or less money.

Unless im missing something about the samsungs.
    but please dont take that as i think there is somethign wrong with the samsungs. I just think others are better.