1. Check out OCAU's review of the SpaceX Starlink satellite internet service!
    Dismiss Notice

Which 5.1 speakers you recommend?

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by V770, Mar 2, 2007.

1. Damn_Good

Damn_Good Member

These sub sat 5.1 systems are limited in there application. I have had the z5500s and they were only any good for high highs and deep fixture rattling bass, there is just no in between. They are good for gaming too where a gun shot will go bang and it will wisstle past (if your good enough) in a very nice surround sound kinda way. Write them off for any music with a guitar in it or other midrange instruement. Mind you they go off for techno and elctro music, you know if your into that kinda sh!t.

The best set of computer speakers i have had was a pioneer HT amp ($600) with just a couple of cheap ($300) decent wattage bookshelfs, but desk space was always a problem. At least you can always expand and change stuff too if you buy this kind of setup.

(sorry fanbois but it doesnt matter how big your sub is if you both cant turn it up on any normal day in any normal residential environment nor can you hear the entire chunk of music in the midrange)

2. banana69

banana69 Member

using a tannoy 5.1 with a yamaha amp lol

3. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

4. FFC

FFC Member

You must have pretty damned low expectations. Those speakers are crap and they sound like shit.

5. bAbY_RoG3R

bAbY_RoG3R Member

wouldnt say that , they are reasonable for the price. You get what you pay for pretty much, and are ok for the average PC user.

6. ADV

ADV Member

I bought the 5500's and I agree that mid range music isn't that great.

also, found this in another thread:

7. Protocol

Protocol Member

I think when it comes to audio, whether it be speakers, headphones or whatever, you cannot really ask what is best.

What you really need to ask is what is the best for the amount of money that you wish to spend?

In my opinion, Logitech deliver great value for money in all their range of speakers. I have owned Z-560s, Z-680s and Z-5500s. I have been happy with them all. Unfortunately, the Z-560s had a short life with the sub dying shortly after the warrranty expired. This was a common problem with the Z-560s.

I still have both the Z-680s and Z-5500s, and think they are both great. My personal preference is the Z-680s, although the Control Center has a somewhat awkward volume knob. If you turn it up or down too quickly, the speaker volume would be very erratic. This was a common problem with the Z-680s, although I have been told that this was fixed on later models.

Overall, the Control Center on the Z-5500s is superior and easier to operate and read, but I prefer the Z-680 speakers and sub.

8. mortal

mortal Member

I will never buy Logitech Speakers again after my Z680's. I had to get them replaced 5 or 6 times, and then warranty ran out before I could get them replaced again. The Amp would cark it back speakers would stop working, then the centre speaker and now the subwoofer has stuffed it and can't go above the first volume level before it starts distorting and start ringing.

9. FFC

FFC Member

They are crap. End of story. I've owned a set, they were so disgusting I went out and bought a proper set of speakers and amp.

10. TMM

TMM Member

Your hearing must be sub par.

11. bAbY_RoG3R

bAbY_RoG3R Member

and how much did the speakers and amp cost you ??? No way I'm saying they are good, but at that price you cant really expect much.

alright you tell me a alternate 5.1 system for around the $70 - 80 mark (thats how much they cost).

The point i was trying to get to was YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR

not

THEY ARE THE BEST SPEAKERS IVE EVER HEARD

I'm sure alot of people have bought these speakers and most of them probably quite satisfied with them. If you were into audio, you wouldn't have considered purchasing a set at the first place.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2007
  12. FFC

FFC Member

$1500. And in HT system terms, its a very low end setup.

So why are you recomending them to someone to buy as a 5.1 setup if you shouldn't expect much from them? Even if its just for PC/Xbox I still wouldn't ever recomend them, they sound shit.

13. bAbY_RoG3R

bAbY_RoG3R Member

i didnt recommend them to the OP, Milne did.

Keep in mind , not everyone is rich and can flog out $1500 to buy a HT system. and why would you even bother comparing a $1500 HT system with $70 Logitech speakers?

If you bothered reading, this was MY recommendation to the OP

14. FFC

FFC Member

Pardon?

lol

15. bAbY_RoG3R

bAbY_RoG3R Member

once again

if you bothered reading the thread , then you would of figured i was referring to the Z5500

learn to read

16. FFC

FFC Member

I think you're missing the point, Logitech make PC speakers. That is all they are good for. And even then they are pretty ordinary (they are all lacking proper midrange). How can you even listen to music/movies through them if you're only getting 2/3 of the sound you should be?

Logitech = speakers for fan boys who think they are the be all and end all of speakers. Heres a tip for you, they are good at making mice and keyboards. They have never been renowned for making speakers, ever.

17. bAbY_RoG3R

bAbY_RoG3R Member

dont think so mate, i think you're missing the point

OP's on a budget and only looking to spend around $500, not $1000+ which is what you're recommending him to go ahead with.

Looking at that $500 price range i then recommended him the Logitech which i recommended the Z5500 which would suit his price range and what everyone else has pretty much been recommending. There was no flaming until you starting thinking i was recommending the X530 to OP, when i was clearing trying to get to the point of YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

As i quote again, i said they were good PC speakers and good if you're hooking them up for PC and Console , which many people here on OCAU do and don't complain about.I never said they were excellent myself, i have my own HT system out in the lounge where i watch movies. Have you even owned a set of Z-5500 yourself? they can be bought for around $450 now, which is over 3x cheaper , and over 3x more than OP's asking price.

Why would you compare $450 speakers with a $1500 at the first place?

18. FFC

FFC Member

The OP said he moved his budget to $1000~, in a thread in the AV forum, which I've mentioned before. Had you of been reading.

I wasn't comparing them I said they were crap.

I only mentioned the price of mine because you asked me.

As for flaming, hardly, you're just insecure and can't handle someone having a different point of view that isn't in line with what you think.

19. bAbY_RoG3R

bAbY_RoG3R Member

and where might have you mentioned he has moved to the AV forums ??? This thread is 3 pages long and there is no mention OP has extended his budget to $1000 + NOR mentioning he has moved on into the AV forums now.

I dont see how we had a different point of view at the first place when i was telling OP the Z5500 will come no where near a proper HT system, i was putting my recommendation in for a $500 budget.

20. Grimace22

Grimace22 Member

I honestly could not recommend Logitech speakers, even if the OPs budget is $500. They are plain shit, even for PC speakers. I can think of a few sets i would recommend before the Logitechs(mainly for 2.1 systems). I would not be able to bring myself to "+1 5500/530" while knowing how crap they are.

"yamaha RXV359B amp + 4 Dick Smith Bookshelf speakers + the Dick Smith Centre for $428 all up." If that setup is viable for under $500, GET IT:) If that is not affordable, Id much prefer to get a an amp and 2 speakers rather than the 5500's.