Which 5.1 speakers you recommend?

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by V770, Mar 2, 2007.

1. OP
    OP
    V770

V770 Member

hm sorry guys i really didnt mean to make this a battle thread. I really do appreciate your help. Afterall, u guys are just helping me out for opinions.
    Its really hard on deciding, ive been going to various stores and researching. I have never heard the Logitech Z5500 setup and listened to music with and so forth. So i cant really decide. Another option i was looking at, if the logitech's the best option for my price range at $500, then i might just think about tipping up a lil more so that i could have more options.

Ive come across the Sony Mu Te Ki HT for around $900ish. Its a 6.2 setup. Sounds good enough for me and big bass.

$500 IS my budget for speakers. And prolly another $300ish i might look to spend on a av receiver later on.

This system will be hooked up with a PS3, a 1080p lcd tv (40"), VCR, XBMC, Wii, DVD player.

Only thing with muteki is, its big and ugly but good bass and loud. Lacks abit in soft music. As for logitech, it's prolly the same as the muteki but cheaper and looks HEAP better.

Once again, sorry didnt meant to cause flaming :thumbup:

2. OP
    OP
    V770

V770 Member

By the way, Where can i go and listen to a Z5500 logitech setup in store?

Went to Domain and Harvery norman, they dont have the Z5500 setup, only in the box. Couldnt really testem out. Wanna have a listen to it and judge myself.

I live in Ashfield innerwest of Sydney.

3. bAbY_RoG3R

bAbY_RoG3R Member

most EB games have them set up for promo use, not sure if they'll let you test them out though .

4. Shogun-X.GT

Shogun-X.GT New Member

z5500 are better then some $1000 home theater systems they really are mind blowing sound system I would have them anyday over some $1200 sony sound system!

5. Grimace22

Grimace22 Member

Im sure for $1200 you can get way better than Logitechs. But yes, i would not get Sony speakers.

If youve got a full HT system, why spoil it with PC speakers, get a HT speaker setup. Thats my opinion anyway:)

6. OP
    OP
    V770

V770 Member

Well i read a long detailed reviewed of the Logitech. I was thinking of this combination. Get a Entry level Yamaha AV receiver and get the logitech Z5500 and hook it up to the yamaha via the optical out. But im just worried the quality or the combination might not be that good.

It should prolly set me back to $750-$800ish as u can get the z5500 for $422 at msy.com.au. Hm... for under $1k, is this combo good? how well will it sound?
    will it lose quality as the speakers are connected to the logitch built in amp and then outputted via optical digital to the yamaha av receiver's input? Its not like direct connection, its by passed like twice....

sorta thinking. So you guys dont recommend sony speakers? the muteki has hdmi inputs tho for that price which can be handy for me (visual)

7. Grimace22

Grimace22 Member

there is no point in getting a receiver and pc speakers, if you plan to get areceiver then get Floorstanders or Bookshelves and a sub if you want.

Im sure your killing quite a few people on the forums by thinking about Logitech+HT Receiver:lol:

8. Semi-Evolved

Semi-Evolved Member

There's a point if you're using the speakers as a low-cost standin until you can later afford a proper speaker setup :p.

9. OP
    OP
    V770

V770 Member

Ok.....so i guess thats a straight no with that suggestion.

ill go to another Domain and Harvey norman and check out if they have any already setup systems for me to listen to. Still trying to stick to my budget...

10. gaven1

gaven1 Member

Another vote for the Z5500's combined with a good sound card.

11. FantoM_CircuiT

FantoM_CircuiT Member

Okay.... read the thread next time please.

V770,
    +1 for Logitechs being shit. They really do lack the whole midrange, and are just there to impress those that think uber bass is ful sik bro. :rolleyes:

With your budget, you could get a reciever/amp plus some nice floorstanders to start with, and add on to it in the future with rears/center. (something you can't do with a 'package' offered by logitech)

This way, you can also decide if you really need the extra 4 speakers for a 5.1 setup. (5.1 is terribly overrated imho - give me a decent 2 channel set up any day, but again it is completly up to you.)

12. yanman

yanman Member

My 5500's rawk :) Sub is way too powerful tho, I always have it below 3 :p

13. fox1

fox1 Member

This isn't the speaker fault but the person who set them up.

2 vs 5.1? Your joking right?

The logitech package is great for the 400 to 700 price range.

14. FFC

FFC Member

A decent pair of floor standers will blow any logitech setup out of the water.

Im not sure you quite understand how speakers work. Logitech speakers are far too small to put out decent, if ANY midrange at all. They put out heaps of muddy bass so it seems like they can play the full range when they don't get anywhere near it without distorting.

They are great if you have no idea what good sound is and want an overpriced cheap set of speakers.

Mouse/keyboard manufacturer vs dedicated HT manufacturer...I wonder whose gear sounds better? :rolleyes:

Go post your argument (or lack of) on a forum dedicated to sound reproduction and see how fast it takes you to be laughed at.

15. Tenoq

Tenoq Member

Really? Would you care to specify WHICH HT systems the Logitech system betters?

I, for one, call bullshit.

16. FFC

FFC Member

lol

srsly, logitech is da best man

17. ZoLi

ZoLi Member

I suppose it depends on your definition of good sound.
    There are a lot of people out there that dont know what midrange is and for some genres of music it doesnt even matter as the volumje goes up loud enough to distort the natural sound the speaker puts out.

I used to own a set of logitechs before I decided I wanted to listen to music more then play games. So I went with the setup I have in my sig, I had the Amp already so I purchased the speakers. Sure the bass doesnt knock down the house but sound quality is many more times better then what I had.

18. FantoM_CircuiT

FantoM_CircuiT Member

No.

If you put the same ammount of money ($500-$1000, whatever) into a 2 channel setup compared to a 5.1 setup, you are more than likley to get a better sound ouput imho.

For movies, the extra rears don't really do that much for me, and imho don't get used all that often in movies anyway. Having a center speaker dosen't make much sense to me either, but that's a topic for another day.

Of course, games are completly different, and surround speakers can certainly help pinpoint other soilders around you etc. However, after having a 5.1 setup for a while, I realised there were not all that many times where I could successfully pinpoint another sound within the 3d space with any great accuracy, and even less where this could become usefull in the game itself. Sure, it is more immersive etc, I don't doubt that; but personally I would prefer to have a higher quality overall output into two channels, rather than sacrificing quality just so I can have more channels.

Buying computer speakers for the lounge room is not a smart move. Computer speakers sound crap at the best of times, and their only real advanatge is space (which they have to sacrifice at least some sound quality for). Btw, are the enclousers on any of the logitech satellites not plactic? (seriously, I dont know).

FYI, For $320 you could get 4x DSE Bookshelf speakers and a DSE 5.1ch amp. That is a setup that could easily trounce any logitech package, any day of the week.

Proper HT gear needn't be expensive, and for the midrange ($500-$1000) is far better value for money compared to any computer speakers. (and by value, I mean overall sound quality, not bass)

EDIT: It seems like every week the same old thing goes down: Logitech fantastic plastic vs decent audio gear. This is the last time I am going to even write about it. Fanboys, go waste your money.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2007
  19. Grimace22

Grimace22 Member

I knew i was right:p

20. fox1

fox1 Member

You could of at least posted some speakers in the price range mentioned.

Mine has decent midrange and the bass isn't muddy.

hmm whats right in this quote, nothing.

So post that they are good for their price range and be laughed at by zealots because it pales in comparison to their $800+ systems? Genius!

----

I'd like to hear a 2.1 setup of same value, the extra money on the fronts would be pretty nice. I like my center speaker :)

So you seriously haven't listen to them setup? The guy I purchased my z680's from had them in a big tile open room and they sounded awful. Once I setup them up (also with the EQ) and fed 5.1 into them, they sound freaking fantastic. Best $245 I ever spent.

-----

Man you guys get your tighty whities in a knot. You make it sound like I was saying "they are the best in the world, oh and I killed your pet dog and pissed on it".