Which 5.1 speakers you recommend?

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by V770, Mar 2, 2007.

1. Amfibius

Amfibius Member

I think I have to back up Fantom_Circuit here. I agree totally with his comments - a 2 channel system at that budget will slaughter any cheap 5.1.

The bass on those Logitechs (yes I have heard them) is definitely muddy. They don't go very low, and there is a massive peak at about 200-300Hz (according to my ears) that give the impression of strong bass output but it really isn't. There isn't very much <200Hz. And you can't equalize them out either, because it is built into the design of the subwoofer (resonant frequency around that range). Midrange is missing (as other posters have said). This is because the satellites are too puny to produce a proper midrange, so the subwoofer takes over part of the job. Midrange is bloody important - without a proper midrange, voices, guitars, etc will sound unnatural.

A 2 channel setup will have a much more linear frequency response curve. When you first hear them, you may think they do not produce as much bass as a Logitech, but that's not true. They simply lack the midbass hump that Logitech engineers into their speakers. They will go lower and in a more controlled fashion than the Logi's.

Add to this, your money is buying you two high quality speakers instead of being spread into 6 terrible speakers.

Nobody so far has mentioned the other great advantage of seperates - they grow with you. If you buy a seperate amp and speakers, you can grow your system as budget allows. I started off with my first system 18 years ago, a secondhand NAD 3020i ($200) with Mission 760i speakers ($250). Over time I made incremental upgrades until my system is what it is today. You can't do that with the Logi's ... when you become unsatisfied with the sound (as you invariably will, once you listen to some other HT's) ... you have to junk the whole thing at a massive loss and start all over again.

My recommendation for $1000 - look for a secondhand NAD320 and any decent cheapish bookshelf. Epos, Mission, Krix can be found on the secondhand market for maybe $300-500.

For the record, I have Logitechs. They do a very good job for what they are designed to do ... play "TA-DAAAA" and other windows noises in full surround glory. But there is no way I would put them in the lounge.

I don't have an axe to grind. You came here asking for advice, and i'm giving you what I think is good advice. Best of luck.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2007
  2. TOFUGil

TOFUGil Member

Logitech Z5500 Im using this as movies & gaming ..if u're looking for 5.1 then this the go. Not an audiophiles like some here ..but the sound is good - a boom is a boom, not pok ..I don't know how to explain it but if u watch a movie Hero - Jet Li where's there alot of horses galloping/running u would know what I mean.

3. In2nEt

In2nEt Member

i have logitech x-530s they do produce good sound and cost about $79

4. Grimace22

Grimace22 Member

lol in2net what a useless post:)

I dont know as much as the older soundys, but i would definitely do something on the lines of what Amfibius suggested. Putting the Z5500 into a lounge just does not seem right, especially if you have the opportunity to spend around the 800 mark?

5. In2nEt

In2nEt Member

oi seriously fuck up y is it useless???

6. Lynton

Lynton Member

All you did was say it makes good sound. What kind of description is that. Its like saying "this car has a steering wheel" if you were a used car salesmen

7. yihfeng

yihfeng Member

He's looking to spend at least 500 bucks. How's the 530 going to measure up to anything that costs that much? No matter how badly the OP gets ripped off, it'll be hard to buy something for 500 bucks that won't kick the ass of the 530s.

And do respect your other forum members...

8. tophet1

tophet1 Member

Try looking at the Yamaha TSS-15. All you need will be a digital sound card for 5.1 sound and they will run 2 channel as well.

9. Captain Kermit

Captain Kermit Member

He is looking for HOME THEATRE SPEAKERS, not PC speakers. Fuck me, does anyone read the thread they're posting in before they click reply? At least you didn't recomend X530's.

10. salmon

salmon Member

My logitech x530's have never let me down and they sound great on the audigy 4

11. Amfibius

Amfibius Member

Well Captain Kermit I guess you have the answer to your question there! This is why I don't bother with OCAU any more ... people just don't bother to think or read properly. We go on a 2-3 page discussion about Logitechs, with lots of good points as to why they're not for HT ... and then some idiot comes and makes a recommendation for an X-530. Makes you wonder how useful the information is on the other subforums.

12. yihfeng

yihfeng Member

Welcome to the internet :D Make yourself at home ;)

13. FantoM_CircuiT

FantoM_CircuiT Member

That's exactly why I gave up at my last post. May as well just send the OP an email, and be done with all the inane chatter. :tired:

14. OP
    OP
    V770

V770 Member

havent had time to come on the net for the past week. Well theres been some arguements regarding the quality of log z5500. I personally havent heard em setup so i cant judge on em. I was thiknking about sony the 6.2 HT muteki sys with 2 HDMI output (visual) on the amp.....

then im thinking to myself......its loud and sounds cool ( i heard it setup @ JBs)....Sony is still a Sony. It just doesnt dig me ...sony brand for sound..

So i came across to this http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/45fe8ca50b919fe6273fc0a87f9c07b1/Product/View/AE7908
    Tho i costs $400 extra on my budget, i might know some1 who can do this alil cheaper.

or theres this one
    http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/45fe8ca50b919fe6273fc0a87f9c07b1/Product/View/AE7907

this ones $1200ish.

Both are yamaha. They seem more professional and will do the job better than log z5500 and the sony muteki 6.2 HT.

What do u guys reckon? have any of u guys had the chance to listen to the setup?

15. Grimace22

Grimace22 Member

Ive heard from knowable sound ppl that the Sony 6.2 setups arent the best value 4 money. And i reckon that you could find a cheaper place for Yamaha speakers than Dickos(but thats just my op)

16. OP
    OP
    V770

V770 Member

besides ur typical retail dealers like JB, HN, DSE, Domayne, i dont anywhere else that might sell the yamahas. Bing lee and goodguys didnt have em on display...maybe they do but didnt c any....

arent there any special hifi shops around sydney that specialize in selling these products?

17. r3flexion

r3flexion Member

If you want a good sound, build some yourself. $700 is a decent budget.

Logitech, Creative and Altec Lansing are poor excuses for speakers. More often than not their sub takes over most of the work because the satellites are so poorly engineered. That is not good. Subs are only meant for frequencies below 100hz.

18. ShammY

ShammY Member

In reply the intended question ( Thats usually the first post for those who read the last page of a thread and post their dribble )

The Z5500 are good value for around $430. I run mine without a soundcard and they sound great for what they are. I also use them for my Xbox 360 also which if you play Carbon they will blow you away. Bare in mind they are fairly loud so the intended space for them is a big consideration too.

As for which speakers are good to hook up to the AV receiver, depending on the Wattage of the receiver for a good sound I would go with Wharfedale or if you want to spend a bit extra shell out for some Mission speakers.

Finally someone else that is like minded.

Had a BOSE system once before and felt like I was getting raped as I was paying for it. Running a Marantz receiver and 5.1 Mission speakers and sub.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2007
  19. yanman

yanman Member

Anyone tried the VAF satellites? they look really good value - think they were about $500 for a set of 4?

A mate of mine has some large free-standing VAF's, not sure what model but they were about $2k for a pair and sound amazing.

20. -=N0N@ME420=-

-=N0N@ME420=- Member

ya-ma-ha

I'd check them out, then the logitechs.

As for the x-530's, for the price the sound pretty decent, I'm happy with them.