Which canned fish or brand do you find tastes the best?

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by Pengoz, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

Since they went all pole & line caught I've been buying exclusively Safcol. The quality of their product's fine, and they deserve support for being the first in australia to start fishing tuna sustainably imo.

Their chilli and olive oil flavoured one is to my taste identical to my previous flavoured tuna favourite, which was the john west chilli one

And yes I will pay slightly more a can for it, just as I pay more for free range eggs, and dived scallops

2. lithos

lithos Member

Sirena, for me. Or Sole Mare. In olive oil, but of course.

Bought some Greenseas stuff on special for $1/can. No wonder it was on special. It was about 90% bloodline meat - the stuff that runs along the lateral line on the fish that reeks and tastes foul. Not large, firm flakes, but little shreds of shit.

3. GreyWolfe01

GreyWolfe01 Member

Greenseas sammich tuna ftw

4. jjo

jjo Member

Big fan of the Sirena in chilli oil after reading some suggestions in this thread but I may give Safcol and the pole and line brands a go since they are making a good effort. Not to mention the last few cans of sirena havent been that great. :S

5. lithos

lithos Member

One thing I've found is that a lot of the brands are switching to skipjack tuna, which, frankly, tastes like crap and is has a terrible, mealy texture.

Look for tins that have "Tuna (genus Thunnus)" in the ingredients list. So far, Sirena still seems to be using this.

6. vid_ghost

vid_ghost Member

7. Stone2x

Stone2x Member

Do any brands do sardine fillets (no spine or head)? I haven't seen any in Coles or Safeway. I've tried whole sardines but crunching on the bones isn't enjoyable :upset:

8. vid_ghost

vid_ghost Member

lol.. no one would be crazy enough to fillet a small fish its a waste of time and pointless..
    The heads are always removed and the bones are a great source of calcium.
    If you don't like the feeling you can always MASH them into past and eat them on crackers or a slice of toast

9. Bastard Child

Bastard Child RIP

Stone you'll find John West sardines least offensive.

10. Stone2x

Stone2x Member

They're sold overseas as bare fillets in a tin/can, that's why I asked. I just haven't seen them over here.

I've tried eating them whole and mashing them to paste but the powdery and sometimes gritty texture is just unpleasant.

Thanks, BC. I don't think I've tried the John West ones. I've tried the Brunswick, King Oscar and no name varieties as plain and in tomato sauce but couldn't handle them. I'll grab some John West tonight and give them a go.

11. doug81

doug81 Member

There's pickled white anchovy fillets which might be close to what you're after, but considered a pretty gourmet ingredient and you aren't going to get much change out of $10...

12. Stone2x

Stone2x Member

Yeah, they're delicious but I don't think it'd be good for a whole meal :lol:

I was just looking for an alternative to tinned tuna as I was eating far too much. Tried to mix it up with tinned sardines and salmon but couldn't stick with the sardines. I'll give them another try :)

13. tradez

tradez Member

Are many of the others sardine brands cans BPA free? i'm guessing the chances that the cheaper brands are would be pretty low?

14. Bastard Child

Bastard Child RIP

If you're worried about plastics, buy raw sardines and cook your own.

Just needs a touch of seasoning.

15. Glitchlol

Glitchlol Member

It took me this long to find a can of Bertini (I wasn't actively looking).

It's so much better than Sirena.

16. Munki

Munki Member

Does anybody know why I haven't been able to find sardines in chilli oil any more? Has been quite a long time.

No tuna please. Can't seem to stomach the texture of cooked tuna.