Which console should I get? PS4 or XBox One?

Discussion in 'Game Consoles' started by frnak, Oct 16, 2018.

1. frnak

frnak Member

Hey guys,

Will probably get a console towards Christmas when some sales are on. Prices are falling to a point where I'm ready to buy. I'm not a sony or MS fanboy, I've got both the xbox 360 and PS3 and I probably prefer the Xbox controller but it's honestly not a deal breaker. I probably won't use it for online games, got a PC for that. Instead I'll use it for local multiplayer, RPG's and platformers.

Which is the current flavour of the month? Is it worth paying for the 'Pro' models?

Cheers

2. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

Sony has better exclusives... Xbox is cheaper. Pro is decent if u have a 4k tv.

Get a nintendo switch . Lol

ecroF likes this.
  3. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Which ever has the games you want to play. It *is* about the games. You can find lists of current per-console exclusives online (or hit up Metacritic and compare the top 50 of each console for differences), and go from there.

Up to you. If you want 4K gaming on your massive telly, possibly. If you sit way back from your 32-40" TV, possibly not.

IMHO, for single player games, it makes little difference. Multi-player can help if the games you play require seeing people moving from a great distance away.

Don't forget the Switch is likely getting a new model early next year. Speculation is a slightly faster processor with a 1080p screen in portable mode, but nothing's set in stone yet. Might be worth waiting for a post-Christmas price drop and/or new model on that one.

4. rireland

rireland Member

get the one that has the games you want to play.

5. power

power Member

for your stated use case i can't recommend anything but PS4.

XB1 has very few exclusives and Sony have tons, Switch while good has heaps of ports, indies and portability so if that appeals maybe go that way.

I have all three and like you if I was to play online muti-plats i'd choose pc every time.

My PS4 gets the most play out of all 3 for rpg's, action games etc.

get a pro/x if you want higher res output, that's it really base experience is still very good (XB1 base is not great for most games though). base ps4 is capable of HDR if that's a thing you want.

6. Drizz06

Drizz06 Member

This gen Sony for sure!

7. broccoli

broccoli Member

I think Playstation has nicer menus and looks. I always choose the Playstation over my XBox (360). If I had to choose, I'd choose the Playstation.

8. Drizz06

Drizz06 Member

Next gen might be a different story with Microsoft acquiring so many studios but currently Sony kills its with there first party offerings.

And Forza is on Pc so there’s no reason to have a Xbox anymore :lol:

9. sanjay

sanjay Member

if you didn't have either, i would have to say you're better off starting with a PS4. it has many more exclusives than the Xbone and many of them are ones you are going to want to play, including

Uncharted series, Yakuza series, The Last of Us, The Last of Us 2 (when released), God of War.

However, the Xbone controller (and the Elite controller) is just so much better than the PS4's, and it has some awesome exclusives too, including gears of war, halo, and of course forza/forza horizon.

I would try to pick up a second-hand one off gumtree for under $200 and enjoy it while you can.

10. OP
    OP
    frnak

frnak Member

Thanks for all the tips guys. Seems like the PS4 might be the way to go due to the extensive games collection. I've done a bit of research and I can't help but feel a bit miffed that the PS4 doesn't play my PS1/PS2/PS3 games... my trusty PS3 can happily run my older games. I might add that the PS4 Pro does seem a bit pointless... no native 4K and no UHD blu-ray... am I missing something? Why bother?

The game I'm most interested in so far is Red Dead Redemption 2. I'm also interested in Uncharted series, The Last of Us 2. I love adventure & indie art-house games like Dear Esther, Journey and Papers Please.

The Switch is an interesting proposition. I'm not a huge fan of Nintendo's first party content and JRPG's drive me insane. I honestly don't really like anime art, preferring the gritty realism of Travis from GTA V. Having said that I'll probably still pick up a Switch when it's updated for car trips and the like.

11. aokman

aokman Member

Playstation would be my choice, nice exclusives and many XBOX titles are on PC these days anyway.

Pro model is worth it for sure, 4K HDR looks amazing but also keep in mind it will speed up any game as the hardware is quite a bit more powerful to stop frame rate drops in intensive games.

12. alexb618

alexb618 Member

depends what you want it for, strictly games id go for ps4 pro. i like the xbox as a tv controller (which ps4 doesnt do) so thats what i have.

13. Sorrow

Sorrow Member

Yeah so I'm facing a similar dilemma, I've just bought a 4k TV so looking to trade in my xbox one to something to make use of the 4k.

Xbox is better for playing 4k dvd's no?

14. Mynamewastaken

Mynamewastaken Member

PS4 & Pro don't play 4K disks at all. So if that's a want, Xbox or a stand-alone player are it.

15. power

power Member

if you are only after 4k bluray one s is the cheap option

16. sanjay

sanjay Member

does anyone really buy or watch 4K blurays though?

both the Xbone S and PS4 will output to 4K and let you watch netflix and other streaming services in 4K (which seems to me to be the most common use-case for for 4K). The Xbone X and PS4 Pro have the extra grunt needed to play games in 4K resolution too.

17. elvis

Accounts for 0.00001% of my time on a console.

18. Drizz06

Drizz06 Member

Normally I’d agree with you that’s it not really a selling point.
    But fuck me the xbone UI is Just awful I don’t use it very often but every time I dust it off and fire the thing up it just baffles me how crap it is compared to the simple PS4 interface.

walker_2003 likes this.
  19. elvis

Honestly don't care. I buy digital games from websites, and for the rest tell the console to auto-play any disc stuck in.

It's all about the games, yo. Every other argument ("PC Master Race", "interface", or whatever other nonsense) falls upon deaf ears. I've been doing this computery thing for a long goddamn time now. Whatever terrible interface or system you can show me, I can show you worse. I just deal with it.

20. broccoli

broccoli Member

Yes, it can't be that hard to make something look nice, especially if you've got all that 4K bizzo going on. It is also better to have sensible menus where it's easy to find settings than some stupid "stick it anywhere and make you search" nonsense.