Which Control Panel Overlay do you like the most.

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by qwertylesh, Feb 17, 2017.

?

Which CPO background do you like most?

Poll closed Mar 4, 2017.
  1. Magneto, Ryu

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  2. SF Good/Evil

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  3. Ryu vs Akuma

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  4. Oni Akuma

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Nintendo Classic Characters

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Scorpion vs SubZero

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  7. Ryu vs ??

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  8. Wolverine, Ryu

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  1. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

Hey everyone.

I made up some rough CPO's of which I'll be ordering once to replace the sun faded CPO on my Arcade Cabinet.

Please vote and let me know what you like most.

Things like the actual button overlay and logos will probably change, im mainly interested in which background you like most.

This is the marquee already chosen, and here is the mamewah background I already use

1) Magneto, Ryu
    [​IMG]

2) SF Good/Evil
    [​IMG]

3) Ryu vs Akuma
    [​IMG]

4) Oni Akuma
    [​IMG]

5) Nintendo Classic Characters
    [​IMG]

6) Scorpion vs SubZero
    [​IMG]

7) Ryu vs ??
    [​IMG]

8) Wolverine, Ryu
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  2. power

power Member

Wolverine AND Ryu? No contest there. :)

3. OP
    OP
    qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

Personally the ryu vs akuma and the ryu vs ??? are the ones I like the most

yeah true, should I look for more Marvel/Capcom/Street fighter artwork?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  4. power

power Member

I'm a bit biased, SF v Marvel are some of my all time favourite fighters and Wolverine and Ryu are probably my personal fave fighters from either side.

5. OP
    OP
    qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

I made some more mashup character ones, post if you like these over the ones in the OP:

5 (redone - found hi-res graphic)
    [​IMG]

9)
    [​IMG]

10)
    [​IMG]

11)
    [​IMG]

12)
    [​IMG]

6. broccoli

broccoli Member

(please excuse my ignorance) but is the marquee visible at the same time as the background? If so, you need green or blue in the background to tie in the colours.

I like 9 or 10 on the newer suggestions, I like 9 the best. Good colours, good character depictions. I like that bloke in the back with the teeth and I like the way they look like they've all just stepped out of your machine/time tunnel/hyperspace. The blue on the astro boy one would also work but I don't think it has the same charm as number 9.

(I like wolverine, but the other guy looks like Tom Cruise and I don't like Tom Cruise :lol:)

7. OP
    OP
    qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

lol

thank you for for feedback.

the marquee is at the top of the arcade unit with a backlight, and the CPO is the main area of the unit with controls, they're both visible at the same time and the whole unit is a blue color.

Perhaps I should look at revising the marquee to match the kind of characters if i go for arcade/nintendo characters?

8. broccoli

broccoli Member

I like the marquee and I think the juxtaposition of the "tough guys" and the "cute" ones might work. Is it like an old space invaders machine, with the one up above your head, and the other on the screen itself? That'd work, as you walk up to play you see all the exciting guys and then you see all the favourite nintendo type people when you look at the screen. Best of both worlds.

9. Nitephyre

Nitephyre Member

Scorpion vs Sub Zero. MK for lyfe! :lol:

10. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

5 and 8. Can't decide which one out of those two. (Poll says I gotta click only one, but can't commit).

Basically I would choose depending on what the cabinet was going to be used for (older style games, or more modern fighters).

11. OP
    OP
    qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

Its a 3k in one cab, but isnt powerful enough to run the newer fighters.

Im trying to pick artwork that suits the overall cab but theres endless choice :/

12. OP
    OP
    qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

My most favorite seem to be 3,4,5(redone),6,7,9,10

that does exclude some that others seem to like most, primarily wolverene/ryu, but each time i look at that one I dont like the way the head is cut off by the gradient in the bottom middle. I could shop it out or put a layer over it but thats more work im not planning on doing

I honestly think the MK one would actually match the marquee the most, since the marquee has a lot of MK-X in it and that one seems to be the same. the downside to this is even though the unit has the old mk 1,2,3's on it, theyre impossibly hard to play using the control panel controls so i never really play them and the theme would be further out of place becuase i wouldnt load them for the demo modes either.

5, 9 and 10 though are so awesome, and as broccoli states having a serious marquee and a 'cartoony' cpo may work well together as total opposites.

Had hoped this thread would help me decide, its helped me rule some out but i cant exactly order 7 vinyls :lol:

best way to narrow those seven down to 1? :confused:

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  13. broccoli

broccoli Member

Which one's the MK one?

I wouldn't pick 5 because of the visibility of the detail. That would be great as a screensaver/background on a bigger screen, but at a distance, it's hard to see what's in the picture.

For matching the artwork/theme, I think 6 is the one to pick. You've got the consistent lettering, colour and the "guys" fit the marquee "guys". Personally, I'd just like to see Mario encouraging me to play when I got to the machine and there are more "people" in the Nintendo picture which, to me, makes it more interesting. :lol:

14. power

power Member

6 is the MK one, lol

whichever one you choose OP they all look pretty epic.

15. OP
    OP
    qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

do you mean number 10 broccoli? if so, yeah, that one is looking very promising. especially if i can retone the background edging to match the arcade unit blue color, and also erase the tiny bits of bowser at the very top it would be near perfect.

Thanks power :) I'm just having a difficult time deciding, once ive decided I also need to learn how to actually replace the thing, i think removing and labelling all the cpo items, and using a heat gun is the way to go but need to look into it further still

16. broccoli

broccoli Member

Thanks... (what's MK?:confused:)

I think that's a good choice. My other preference is number 9.

17. Redferatu

Redferatu Member

Where is the picture of your cab, need to tie it in. Also what cab is it, weirdest dimensions I've seen for CPO.

18. power

power Member

:)

19. OP
    OP
    qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

the control panel area is 39cm x 60cm with the front bend included, even the button layout is weird on it, it doesnt have the typical curve for p1-b1-6/p2-b1-6 that you usually have.

heres a fairly clear head on shot of it. heres the same kind of unit but not mine (no coin ops/vertical/differnt buttons)

the cabinet is a Challenger type. this is a side-on view of the cab type

the side of mine has decals too but i plan to remove them and maybe replace later, since one is badly sun damaged pic

I like 10 more then 9 tbh, i thought you may have been referring to 9 though, the problem i have with 9 is the buttons will likely obstruct peach and marios faces :/

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  20. broccoli

broccoli Member

ah, so that's what those circles represent :lol: (I'm clueless). The button also substantially wipes out the guy on the left in number 6....

Number 10 might be best? Can you manipulate number 6 so that the guy doesn't get a button in his guts?