Which distro

Discussion in 'Other Operating Systems' started by motas, May 6, 2012.

1. motas

motas Member

Hi. I am running windows 8 at the moment and don't want to waste money on a windows 7 license so close to windows 8 being released. I have used Ubuntu before but never as a primary operating system but I think I can manage with the help of this forum. I should be fine dual booting and setting everything up but I don't really know a lot about the different distros. I had a search but I'd rather get a personal answer for my situation. I am running a mini itx i5/i7 1155 (sorry been a while since I built it and have a bad memory) with a hd6970 (biggest single gpu from amd of that gen). I use my desktop for homework (so must have office compatibility etc), gaming (will most likely use windows 8 for this) and cad work. The last being the hardest I will probably either run wine or find a good replacement for autocad. So what distro would best suit this?
    Thanks for any help it is much appreciated.

2. zach

zach (Banned or Deleted)

If you already have win8 CTP installed why not use that for homework as well? Save installing another OS/dealing with GRUB.

My $0.02.

3. OP
    OP
    motas

motas Member

So far it has been very buggy (as expected) and is just annoying to do anything important on. Also so far no cad program works with it so would like Linux for that anyway.

4. mtma

mtma Member

You'd better look carefully into the CAD programs you're intending to use because only a handful have linux support.

5. oclockforlyfe

oclockforlyfe Member

If you want to be able to play flash, video and audio out of the box, then Linux Mint is the one to go for.

With the other distros, you have to install the codecs separately(maybe not Ubuntu), which or may not be an easy endeavour.

6. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

You NEED to do CAD? If so, fork out $90 or so for Windows 7 Home Premium. You'd be wasting your time if you were serious about CAD on Linux. For everything else, Ubuntu 12.04 kicks ass, highly recommend it :thumbup:

Also, Windows 8 won't be free forever...

7. OP
    OP
    motas

motas Member

Yes but I don't want to buy windows 7 right before windows 8 is released. I will buy windows 8 when its out. I don't "need" cad but it will be very useful soon for car fab projects.
    Downloading Ubuntu now.

8. IKT

IKT Member

When you install Ubuntu there is a check box on the 2nd install screen asking if you'd like to install those things.

I personally just install Chrome and VLC.

9. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

Just get a technet subscription :p

10. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

Windows 8 isn't going to be very stable for CAD anytime soon anyway. It took about a year or so with Windows 7 for CAD software developers to catch up. Ubuntu should be pretty good though, Chrome and VLC are definite musts. You can also use Wine and Playonlinux to run a substantial number of Windows programs too.

11. OP
    OP
    motas

motas Member

Ubuntu is downloading thanks for your help. The free cad i got recommended has a linux version. I forget the name but i have it installed on windows but it doesnt work properly.
    The only reason i wasnt running linux was for games which seem to work fine in windows 8 so a fine arrangement while i wait for windows 8.
    Thanks.

12. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

Yeah, but judging by the fact he mentioned autocad, it doesnt sound like he's using anything modern anyway. Autocad'll run fine on anything.

Completely agree with you that you'd be batty to be upgrading to windows 8 anytime soon if you're using inventor, solidworks, nx, catia, etc. Still got nightmares from trying to get inventor pro playing nice on a vista box I had foisted on me by a well-meaning IT department just after vista came out

13. OP
    OP
    motas

motas Member

hey so I just noticed the filename for the iso is desktop-amd64. I am running intel so does that file name mean it detected it wrong or is that just simply coincidence?
    Thanks.

14. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

15. OP
    OP
    motas

motas Member

Up and running on ubuntu. Windows 8 hibernates though which is unfortunate because I cant access my windows files from linux.

16. oclockforlyfe

oclockforlyfe Member

You said you were going to dual boot. How can Windows 8 be hibernating(or actually running) if you boot into linux?

Mount your windows partitition so you can access it from linux.

17. OP
    OP
    motas

motas Member

I dont know but i booted into linux and it said windows was hibernating.

18. JolyV

JolyV Member

Impossible, if youre running linux(live cd) windows cant hibernate

19. OP
    OP
    motas

motas Member

Its because of the fast boot. Pretty much when you shut down windows 8 it hibernates