1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Which LCD LED TV sets between 2012 - 2014 (2nd hand)

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by netlord, Feb 11, 2022.

1. netlord

netlord Member

Hi friends

I'm in the market to get a 2nd hand Full HD LCD LED tv.
    I almost bought a Panasonic P50S60A, until i read it had high input lag and high energy usage.

In terms of value and image quality, the 2012-14 era for Full HD seemed to peak, because plasma's were being decommissioned and 4k wasnt yet available.
    I narrowly missed out on a 50' Panasonic TH-50AS640A for $150 which is around the price I'm looking to pay.

What are your recommendations?

2. power

power Member

mate look harder, i bought a not very old 50" TCL 1080p smart TV for $200 not long ago for the old man - keep an eye on gumtree.

3. OP
    OP
    netlord

netlord Member

Thanks for your reply, and I'll keep an open mind. Dont know much about that brand apart from how to spell it.

To expand on my original message, my thinking is older higher end units with a priority that consists of:

- between 46 to 55 inch
    - good motion handling (particularly good left/right panning, no judder or screen tear)
    - good/acceptable input lag
    - 3 or more HDMI inputs

4. power

power Member

anything from a name brand, look for something with a game mode if possible.

TCL are frickin' huge btw - probably not a gaming TV though, lol.

netlord likes this.
  5. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I see plasmas ocassionally on FB groups, which is probably the place to go as there are generally heaps there to choose from.

For $150 you won't get a lot (any?) of name brands for that at that size, but if you can extend that a little you might be able to get something reasonable.

6. rg144

rg144 Member

Cant go wrong with a well taken care of Samsung, Sony, Panasonic. Was about that time LG started improving their QC process dramatically (and Panasonic started disapeearing off shelves ;)

I have a suuuuuper thin 55" Sammy UA55B6000 that's just sitting on a wall if you're interested. Crazy thin tbh, much moreso than today's panels or even monitors. About 2.2cm thick. still a nice and fast 1080p display

7. neRok

neRok Member

It costs money to have those black-blacks. The quality really is much better than other TV's of the era.

I've got the higher end VT60 model, and it's still going strong. I didn't notice any issues gaming on it in the past. Latency wasn't talked about much by the manufacturers back then, but I seem to remember these TV's being tested as good as any others at the time. However the VT60 and top model I think was ZT60 used better image processing hardware than the base model S60, which might make for a difference? Also, I think there is a game mode that should be used.

netlord likes this.
  8. Hi-end Head

Hi-end Head Member

The first thing to consider is why is the guy selling in the first place, and he's bound to have a tale to tell about just how wonderful it is and the picture is faultless.. So you buy the thing and drag
    it home. No return, no warranty and two weeks later your 8 year old buy of the year Telle's power supply gives up the ghost and your left with a picture of a black cat in a black room. Now you've got to pay someone to take it to the tip. Nice You also have found out why the guy sold you the thing in the first place. double nice.
    Go round the council clean-up's your bound to find something suitable

9. srey

srey Member

Orrr people just upgrade? TVs are absolutely the kind of thing that gets disposed of in perfect working order because the owner wanted something newer/better.

To the OP, I just saw a Panasonic 65" VT50 plasma on stereonet, asking price is $250. Says there's a bit of burn in noticable with a foxtel logo in the corner of the screen but still might be worth considering if you can fit a bigger screen (and like the idea of a flat panel heater).

netlord likes this.