Which Linux flavour

Discussion in 'Other Operating Systems' started by L4ncer, Dec 24, 2011.

1. L4ncer

L4ncer Member

Hi guys,

I'm getting a cheap laptop for Christmas, but rather than keep windows on it, as I already have a windows machine I want to install Linux on it. Now I have played around with a few flavours in a vm environment but I'm not sure which would be best. I've installed Ubuntu, mint and fedora so far. I'm after a desktop version rather than say centos. So which would be best to Learn on? I'm not too worried about getting the easiest to use as I have quite a bit of time to research and look up anything I may need to know/ troubleshooting and whatever.

Cheers

2. HyRax1

HyRax1 ¡Viva la Resolutión!

There are three main flavours of Linux - those that are Debian-based such as Ubuntu, those that are RPM-based such as Fedora, and those that use their own custom package management system like Arch or Gentoo (in the case of Gentoo, it generally compiles everything from source).

Many distros are built with a target audience in mind, but general broad distros that are easy to install and come with a good default suite of apps pre-loaded are the best ones to get into if you want a working desktop up and running quickly.

If you actually want to learn the inner-workings of a distro and built your own from scratch, then I would look at Arch, Gentoo, Puppy or at the very least a Server or minimal distribution/installation like Ubuntu Server or CentOS and work up from there adding the X Windows environment, a desktop environment, a window manager, etc.

In any case, install what works for YOU. Linux is customisable to the nth degree, or you can get everything in a pre-packaged fashion. Up to you.

3. Anomalous

Anomalous Member

If you really want to learn about Linux and are prepared to spend a bit of time learning, then I would go with Arch.

4. broccoli

broccoli Member

There really isn't a "best", it's a matter of opinion and personal preference. Personally, I found debian the best to learn on because it has lots of documentation available online and I got the best response from its forum (ie helpful and responsive, and actually knew what to tell you to do). Having said that, all I learnt was how to use it to do what I want to do. I still don't really know much....

5. BluBoy

BluBoy Member

Debian based are fantastic to learn on... My picks for a newbie would be Mint or PC-BSD

6. Wako

Wako Member

Another vote for Mint,

Easy to use, easy to install.

And can at any time dabble into the inner workings on Linux, while not being overwhelmed.

7. oli

oli Member

My opinion and personal preference makes me suggest Scientific Linux. :)

8. Asteroid

Asteroid Member

Everytime I've tried something Debian based I was left frustrated and angry. I suggest Slackware.