1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Which mesh system?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Akh-Horus, May 11, 2020.

1. Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

Like so many, wifi issues. My long story short is we moved into our new premises, got AussieBB connected with their router. Wifi in the house is "ok" but my wife has constant issues with her slightly old iPad mini and her new iPhone with signal, even though we sit side by side. I use a Samsung S9 and an iPad Air version 1 and have minimal to no issues. Modem is sat up quite high in a cupboard.

I have put a cheap wifi booster in the lounge room and it helps slightly.

Couple this with my computer room is now in the shed (seperate man cave beside the work area arrangement). I get wifi out there only due to the booster but it is flakey as all hell.

However - there is a phone line in the man cave area. I don't however have an old phone as we just use mobile phones like everyone else. I don't know how to test it and don't see calling in a technician as viable to just do this.

After a lot of google time, it looks like a mesh system is the best option. Or is it? And which one if it is?

Couple this with I have zero knowledge of setting up routers etc and no idea of networking,

Mesh - yes/no?

Brand/model?

Cost has to be sensible. And cabling out to the shed will be cost prohibitive obviously given the distance.

2. mooboyj

mooboyj Member

I was actually looking at these on the weekend: https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop...5-whole-home-mesh-wifi-3-pack-system-tpdecom5

It sits under the $300 work from home thing the government has as well for tax.

I haven't used this model, just looked at reviews and seems reasonable for the price. I've got my wife working at home and my daughter doing some school from home in the same room on a repeater that is struggling...

Akh-Horus likes this.
  3. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Akh-Horus likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

I'll have a look at the mesh from Officeworks, looks ok.

Looked at eOp and the consensus is it's not that good.

5. connico

connico Member

Mesh system with a ethernet backbone will give you the best performance

Mesh system using a wifi backbone will give you the same coverage but will use "half" the bandwidth at each access point for its backhaul data.

If you can install ethernet to the man cave, i would proceed with this. If you care nothing for extreme data performance within your own network then proceed with a full wifi mesh network.

Ubiquiti is top tier but expensive.

Other solutions include google nest, tp link and linksys, netgear etc. Every vendor these days has a mesh solution

Akh-Horus likes this.
  6. power

power Member

rough outline of house?

how many floors, distances, material that makes up house?

7. Renza

Renza Member

Not if you get a mesh system that has triple radios. It uses a dedicated 5ghz radio for backhaul

caspian likes this.
  8. connico

connico Member

Yeah dedicated doesnt mean you get the full bandwidth mate, protocol overhead and inteferance will impact as well. Ethernet is king and nothing wifi can do about it

9. Renza

Renza Member

Of course, but it will be better than 50% with a single radio. Anyways, will likely be better than internet speed, which would be the majority of usage.

caspian likes this.
  10. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

I have google 3 pack wifi, and it sorted my issues of dead spots in the house. It was pretty much overkill as there was really only 1 bedroom (furthest from the modem) that really struggled with wifi.

Akh-Horus likes this.