Which of these AIO's is best?

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by vladtepes, Aug 6, 2016.

1. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

I'll be running a i7 6700K and planning on overclocking (for gaming use etc, not competitions)

I have some very strict requirements (due to the case setup etc)
    - radiator thickness that cannot exceed 30mm
    - radiator must be a 240 or 360 format (not 280)
    - available locally (ideally)

So as much as I'd love a Corsair, given it's 30mm radiator that's a risk whereas one with a 27mm radiator gives me that all important whisker of extra clearance.

So my choices come down to:

Cooler Master Nepton 240M Liquid CPU Cooler

($139. God that tubing is ugly)

or

Silverstone Tundra TD02-E Liquid CPU Cooler

($129)

or

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing RGB 240mm AIO Liquid CPU Cooler

($185, so a bit of a step up)

I'd even consider the 360mm version but at $249 that's really getting up there. But if there's a compelling reason....

I welcome suggestions as to which of these to avoid or go for.

If you have personal experience - all the better.

2. juzz86

juzz86 Member

You're paying for the fans on the Thermaltake - if you can spring for the 360 then that'll give you best performance at the lowest noise, because you won't have to run the fans overly hard, especially for a 6700. You'll need a custom fan curve though, the Riing fans are noisy at full speed.

The Nepton has been around for ages and is a proven performer, the newer ones swap the old JetFlo fans for Silencios, which are quieter and have a less obtrusive noise, the JetFlo hub was a bit of a dog. CoolerMaster also have a new MasterLiquid unit with a square-finned radiator and low-speed fans - this may be a better fit aesthetically.

I don't know much about the new SilverStone units but they seem to have gone a lot more generic than with the old Tundras. There's also a Tundra Lite if space is really as much of a concern as you allude to.

For a moderately-overclocked 6700 you'll be fine with any of the above, to be honest. I haven't seen any numbers on the MasterLiquid but would be keen to see how the low-FPI radiator design goes paired with the new MasterFlow fans. Have installed plenty of Neptons with few issues. The Eisberg is a good unit for flat-out performance too, if you can still find one.

What case are you using, out of curiosity?

3. OP
    OP
    vladtepes

vladtepes Member

Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
  4. juzz86

juzz86 Member

Good choice, just dial the Riings down a bit and you'll be golden.

Lovely case. Can't go wrong with a Phanteks. Make sure you put some pics up! :thumbup:

5. Huggy_Bear64

Huggy_Bear64 Member

Well, they're AIOs, so they're all terrible.
    Toss them out and go for watercooling instead.

6. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Romulus looks vaguely familiar :lol:

Full loops are fun to play with, can gain a couple degrees in temps, can have other stuff added. They are also expensive, and can make your rig a pain to work on. You've also got to find a place to put pumps, plumbing, reservoirs etc.

AIO's cool damn near as well as a custom loop, but usually come with inferior pumps, cheap fans etc. Some AIO's can also be expanded. Every generation gets better.. better pumps, better control, expandability.. some even give you fans that you can actually use (but not many... :lol: )

Personally with the rising presence of factory AIO graphics, and expandable CPU AIO's with real pumps etc in them, I doubt I'll be building any more custom loops. If an AIO shits itself, you just rip it out and stick a new one in. So much easier.

7. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

I came in to late - I bet the Deepcool Gammaxx 400 (Air Cooler) at $35 would be 1-2C at best away from those units!

The only way you will make them "significantly different from that unit is to create a push/pull with the AIO in a decent case "with numerous other fans".

I recently installed the Gammaxx 400 (push only) on a i5 6500 in a "Cooler Master MasterCase 5 Mid Tower Case" with 2 x 140mm front intake and a rear 140mm - it is hitting 12C at idle - in Brisbane weather (12C/25C) - and 54C after IntelBurnTest.

AIO is shit and cannot even begin to get those efficiencies. I am seriously considering selling my H70 push/pull and getting Gammaxx 400 "for the better thermal outcomes with significantly lower noise".

8. the3coopers

the3coopers Member

Of course. Water cooling in general is a fairly inefficient solution since it relies on more interfaces (between materials) than other methods of heat transfer.

CPU > plate > water > inside of rad pipes > rad fins > air.

CPU > plate > heatpipes and/or metal connections > rad fins > air

Big rads and custom loops can get more heat out due to the sheer size of the things. Plus a big loop can help add a big thermal mass which slows down (and evens out) spikes in heat generation.

Yeah it's better, but on cooling per $$ it's a total waste of money. AIO's are even worse value, but they are trendy and the prices are coming down so much that they almost compete with the air coolers.

9. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Neither can your Gammaxx. A Delta of 0, even at idle, simply means your thermometer is wrong.

There is a reason they ship the 6500 with a stock coke can cooler. It doesn't get hot. Your Gammaxx is more than enough for your chip.

I doubt you would notice any difference between your Deepcool Gammaxx and any other aftermarket cooler, AIO or not, given the limited power of the chip. Unless you buy an Deepcool Alta 7 which are only 7 bucks but a significant downgrade on an Intel cooler, which is really hard to do.

There is also a reason they don't ship an i5 6600K or 6700K with a cooler. A cooler good enough would cost too much to provide ex factory, and the standard intel coolers are not up to the job. If they provided factory coolers with them, people would just do as they do now, throw the factory cooler in a drawer somewhere and go and buy a real cooler. They've finally learnt not to bother.

We're talking about a 130W overclocked 6700K, not a 65W basic i5.

10. juzz86

juzz86 Member

Unless you need to chase the absolute lowest deltas, or you're competing, custom loops are always a very poor return on investment. They look cool and they can be maintained, but they're not easy at first.

Of course there are air coolers that will do the job, but Kev is on the money that the DeepCool unit mentioned will battle with the output wattage of the overclocked i7, and probably rev its ring off as a result.

OP asked a fair question where budget is obviously a concern. That's custom loops out straight away. Then all you've gotta do is decide on CoolIT, Asetek or Corsair and pick the one you like the most.

11. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

Good post and makes a lot of sense.

I am keen to test the 400 on my 2600K and and compare and assess against my H70.

Might post results in a couple of weeks. Have a few projects on the go at the moment, need to do a massive housekeeping sale of old parts (2.5 PCs) then I can strip down the main unit for a good clean.

12. trevor68

trevor68 Member

The only reason for my custom loops is I cool all my GPU's to Fold 24/7.

If I was only cooling a CPU then sure AIO are fine.

13. Huggy_Bear64

Huggy_Bear64 Member

I honestly don't understand CPU-only watercooling for anything but massively overclocked i7s or very small cases with no room for a tower-style heatpipe cooler (which I realise applies to the OP, so I guess that makes the following just a general rant).

Full loops make sense because big, powerful, overclocked graphics cards in SLI/crossfire are really hard to cool with just an air cooler; it's really difficult to fit enough surface area/fans into such a small space without the thing sounding like a jet engine.
    Full loops also make sense because you can hook up a massive radiator in a more open part of the case, letting you handle a huge heat load and/or have very slow (quiet) fans.

AIOs are usually CPU only (I'm aware of the GPU ones, don't even get me started on those), with a 120mm, 240mm, or sometimes a 140mm radiator.
    So you don't solve the GPU problem without buying a whole additional unit, with its own pump, radiator, etc., nor do you solve the surface area problem because these units need a one-size-fits-all radiator which usually leads to small, thin, ineffectual radiators (thus necessitating loud, high speed fans).

Like, bottom line, most of these AIO 'water' coolers lose to cheaper heatpipe coolers on surface area alone.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
  14. OP
    OP
    vladtepes

vladtepes Member

I ended up going with the Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing RGB 360mm AIO Liquid CPU Cooler

First, it didn't fit over the mITX mobo and allow space for the 8 pin power cable to plug in.
    So then I modded the case to allow me to move it along a huge 4 mm or so... which 'just' allowed room for the plug.

Then, of course, the fan headers are directly beneath the radiator/pump tubes. Major hassle but got there eventually.

Never mind, It'll all work out in the end.....

:)