Which OS is best...

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by Tech Guy, Aug 16, 2002.

1. Tech Guy

Tech Guy (Banned or Deleted)

I currently have windows ME, I have no problems with it, but I am always seeing people with windows XP, should I upgrade or just keep my current OS... and if so which version should I get, xp home or the pro version, there is quite a big leap in price between the two...

2. Vaempyr

Vaempyr Member

My rule of thumb is "if you're happy, why change?".

Unless, of course, you think there's something about WinXP that really appeals to you and the way you use your system.

If you decide to upgrade, I'd suggest going with WinXP Pro - it's more powerful, and I've heard reports that "standard" 98SE / ME features are not avalable in WinXP Home.

3. OP
    OP
    Tech Guy

Thanks Vaempry, yeah the pro version would have more tools and features than the home version, but its all upto my wallet :D

windows ME has none if any tools, it is terrible at managing its memory, I use cacheman to manage my memory and swap file settings, that seems to work fine for now...

Windows ME has no tools for repairing it's self...

EDIT: Windows ME also has terrible networking, I have a lot of problems with networking at lan event...

4. Vaempyr

Vaempyr Member

Memory management was one of the reasons I went to XP Pro when I had to get a new machine; I got 512Mb of DDR, and there was no way I wanted the 9x core trying to manage it.

As for the price . . . another one of my "mottos" is that it's better to wait and save to get the better quality product than settle for second-best. Search around a bit, find out the key differences between XP Home and XP Pro, then make a decision as to which one suitsd your needs better. Then buy that one, because it's worth waiting a month or whatever rather than coming back 6 weeks later and curse the OS for not doing what you want / need it to do.

5. jimmytim903

jimmytim903 Member

6. OP
    OP
    Tech Guy

Thanks guys, I shall do some research and find out which is best suited to my needs...

by the sounds of it I should save up some more $$$ and spend them on the XP Pro version instead of buying the home version...

As for the terrible ME networking features, I use the explorer replacement know as windows commander, that works great, because it does'nt use the windows networking it has its own...

7. Vaempyr

Vaempyr Member

Research is always worthwhile - every hour you spend fgetting good info prior to purchase can save you 2-3 hours of heartache later.

8. ProphecyKnthrak

ProphecyKnthrak Member

Nothing is more right than that. I was using Win98 untill April of this year. Now on 2000pro

9. Dan!el

Dan!el Member

If your happy with Windows ME (now that I know anyone who is) then don't bother with upgrading your os. You could always get the Windows .NET 360day evaluation CD from M$ for $9.95. If gives you a bit of idea what WinXP is like.. except its a server os.. so yeah.

10. xfesty

xfesty Member

Hey?

I've found ME's a hell of a lot better then 98 in both those regards. ME does have System Restore afaik, and its networking is fine - I've got no idea why people at lans give it so much shit.

I dual boot ME/XP on this system - you have no idea how tweaked my ME install is. Things run so fast they give me a headache, heh - framerates are easily 2X what they are in XP.

Usually the problems with networking and ME is that you're using crappy drivers that are designed for 95, ME isnt quite 100% compatible with some shaite coding (they cut out some 16-bit legacy sutff, not quite sure what). It uses almost the identical TCP/IP stack that 98 uses.

11. OP
    OP
    Tech Guy

Well, okay... It must just be me then, so what things did you do to tweak your windows ME system...
    my startup time is at about 2 minutes, but the system works GREAT when its finally loaded...

12. chaosx123

chaosx123 Member

Do any of your apps crash? On the off-chance that they do crash, does your whole system die forcing a reboot? Coupled with the memory issues, this is the major reason why you should seriously consider leaving Win9x (ME is Win9x) behind.

13. OP
    OP
    Tech Guy

Actually, the system is so stable its not funny, If it does crash it is easily recoverable...

14. chaosx123

chaosx123 Member

You must be the luckiest man on Earth. I used to have nightmares about the BSOD! If Win9x had XP's boot speed the pain would have been slightly lessened (operative word being slightly) :)

What are the specs of your ME machine?

15. xfesty

xfesty Member

Heh, actually most my ME installs have been rock solid too...

Default ME installation is horrible, but if you do all your windows updates, latest drivers, etc... it's pretty damn solid.

It is the crappy 9x kernel, but ME's is pretty damn improved... its definitely the best gaming OS out there (which I don't understand why most LAN admins give it shit).

I still mainly use XP though, I hate dualbooting, heh....

16. kasar

kasar Member

ME is pretty good...

get xp home...i see no reason for the average user to get xp pro
    its called xp HOME for a reason u know :D

17. OP
    OP
    Tech Guy

Here are my machine specs... more detailed information can be found at My Web Site just go to the page about my PC...

ASUS A7A266E MOBO, Hyundai PC133 512mb, 64MB DDR Pixelview geforce 4 MX440 Ultra, 2 Maxtor 40gig 7200rpm VIPER ATA133, AMD Duron 1.0ghz @ 1.10ghz, WBK38 II Cooler, LG 32x8x4 Burner, Sony 17inch 17sfII, Dual boot, Win ME, WIN 2000 Pro...

18. OP
    OP
    Tech Guy

Yeah the default installation is not to crash hot, but you just run the windows update, that installs the lastest updates, which makes windows ME, ROCK SOLID... I am actually very pleased with it... I am now having second thoughts about buying XP, for a while any way, I might buy a faster chip, not that I need a faster chip, I wouldnt mind an athlon 1200c, 266fsb...

Any way, I think I will only get XP Home edition, if I decide to upgrade...
    Thanks for everyones input...
    Cheers Tech Guy...