Which power supplies for mining ?

Discussion in 'Blockchain & Cryptocurrency Mining' started by aussie-revhead, Feb 14, 2018.

?

What power supply setups do you like for mining?

1. Single or Multiple enthusiast grade power supplies

7 vote(s)
    87.5%
  2. Ebay style mining power supplies (eg Bitcoin logo type)

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. Mixed pc psu's and common slot type

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Common slot with a pico for the motherboard/cpu

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  5. Paired common slot or monster single common slot

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Guys, I am outfitting a mix of rigs and I can't decide which way to go to power 6 or 8 x 1080Ti's. I bought two HX850 Platinums for another rig but I am really interested in the common slot setups, they make great breakout boards for 16x gpu plugs plus wattage options all the way up to 2880w, and I like the pico setup just to trickle power to the cpu etc. I was even looking at a good single pc psu to power the rig and say all the risers then a common slot to power the gpus ... what do you guys think? Some guys swear by the server power supply (no warranty is likely but servers are obviously built to run 24/7) vs enthusiast grade pc power supplies with known reputations and 10 years warranty ... Some even rave about the Bitcoin logo power supplies off ebay ...

What do you guys think? What is in your setups? Have you had any fail?

I was thinking a common slot 1400w platinum with a pc psu to power the motherboard and the risers, or similar with a pico for a less op rig. As someone said its a difficult choice to trust $8000+ of gpus to anything but the best power supply.

Discuss and vote please

:)

perrymitchell likes this.
  2. DarkSnipa

DarkSnipa Member

Well looking at ebay bitcoin PSU sellers advertising '90 plus gold' efficiency and its price tag you know something isn't right about them and there is no reason to cheap out a vital component, I would rather pay for quality Seasonic or EVGA PSUs (no Corsair due to warranty not being transferable) which I can sell to other users down the road if I want to quit.

3. duck_boy

duck_boy Member

I have an old toughpower 750 power mboard HD and fans and rm1000i power my GPU and risers.

If you are going power 8 gtx1080ti and pick the 2 PSU root, you are going to need atleast 2 1200w.

Is not recommened to use one PSU to power the riser and another 1 to power the GPU.

It is better to have power to the riser and to the GPU come from the same source.

Most off the server PSU on ebay are used one that why are cheaps so becarefull. I will buy one and try out in the future, I still have an ax1200i spare.

4. OP
    OP
    aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  5. Hater

Hater Member

Server PSU from a known source will do the job and not break the bank, but will be loud and noisy. Next to 8x GPU fans maybe not an issue...

6. 426

426 Member

I agonised over this a lot.
    I also did so for way too long. I bought a bunch of picos and stalled at buying the 2400w deltas from parallelminer while they were still 52 USD each, or under 200AUD with 2x "X7" PCIE breakouts.

at 229USD + postage, and "only" 1400w, you're looking at least 350AUD for a single PSU with most of your warranty gone in transport...
    HX1200 (Platinum) is 349 @ PLE (a bit less if you use a promo code) 10 year warranty, and someone will probably buy it after you've finished with it.
    PCCG has the XFX 1000w (Titanium) for 279. I believe it is basically a reskinned Seasonic 1000w Prime (479). A really great PSU.

If you need more than 1 of these PSUs, then you may want to think about dropping back to 6 card rigs.
    It works out a better use of your $ per basic system.
    55 CPU (Celeron)
    150 MB (H270/B250)
    60 RAM (4gb)
    60 SSD (120gb)
    $325ish Basic System sans PSU
    300-350ish PSU

If you can get enough power at the $350 mark for all 8 cards, then do so, but it may be borderline, and resale/local support for possible RMA is a really big factor.
    You may still need to buy PCIE power splitters or extra cables as there's never enough on double PCIE power plug cards...

That said, if I had bought the 2400W deltas @ $52 ea, I'd be thrilled too...

7. OP
    OP
    aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

8. duck_boy

duck_boy Member

You didn't get what I said. To power a gtx1080ti the power come from 3 places. Riser and 2 PCIE. Don't connect them to difference power supply, connect them to the same PSU hence power to riser PCIe for that card from same source.

9. OP
    OP
    aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Yeah gotcha, I see what you mean now, multiple psu is ok as long as all powers for a GPU come from the same psu

:thumbup:

10. fad

fad Member

I just finished building my 14 GPU rig. Its powered by a 1200W HP common slot PSU, and a Corsair HX750. The Corsair powers a few GPUs and the mainboard. I am expecting it to only draw 1000W total, so the PSU choice is mostly about getting the right number of PCIe plugs. I did look at getting a Pico PSU, but when I went to aliexpress they had a weird way of shipping. It took them a while to get back to be about combined shipping.

I also swapped to all PCIe risers, from molex and SATA ones. You can however now get risers with all three plugs. (SATA/Molex/PCIe)

11. duck_boy

duck_boy Member

The riser ver 8s is so nice but they are expensive if you buy in Australia $16.

12. OP
    OP
    aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

What GPUs are you running fad?

Thanks for the input guys, you can google things endlessly but I like getting feedback from you guys, first hand stuff.

Cheers.

13. fad

fad Member

Im running a mix of 1070's and 1060's. Almost all are single plug, either 6x or 8x. For power, they are running at 75w for the 1060, and 100w for the 1070. So my power requirements are quite low. It was more about getting enought plugs. I am running the 0009S risers.

I also bought a PLX switch card. Which is what I use to get that number of cards on a standard mobo. I prefer the Asus Z270/370 Prime A. I did buy some of the m.2 adapters, but I can not get any of them to work.

http://cryptomining-blog.com/8996-new-pci-e-16x-to-8-port-usb-3-0-expansion-card-for-gpu-mining/

14. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

6 x 1080ti rig here

Running 2 x Corsair RM1000x (3 cards per PSU). For next rig will probably go the XFX1000w. I wanted the local warranty as well as not relying on a single PSU for so many cards... I figure if I have one fall over I can at least run 3 cards and my system and get the other one replaced within a day or two.

I found the sizing for a 6 card to be great as well (especially with the open rack/case) even with the extra expense of a basic system I feel like expanding 6 card rigs to be a lot easier to manage also.

15. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

I'm curious. In networking, one of the reasons you avoid running catX between buildings is the potential for an earth difference - which can fry the NICs.

So, I figure the issue with running 2x separate PSUs in the same system would be similar. Less so because they're on the same circuit, but still, if one is weaker, there could be some potential for voltage changes or current going the wrong way.

That's the issue I see in particular with the PICO idea. Did you know each PCIE slot is rated to supply 75w?
    What electrically happens when the board is powered but the cards are not? Do they attempt a base-load powerup or do they earth somewhat through the unpowered PSU?
    Could they overload the pico and fry it - or worse: fire?

I figure 2x full atx PSUs would present a lower risk due to the boards ability to at least power the base functions of the card, but I do wonder how the signalling lines would cope with potentially an earth source via an unpowered PSU. If it did, I'm sure something would fry eventually.

Does anyone know for certain?

16. OP
    OP
    aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

The Pico works in conjunction with risers so there is no pcie power drawn through the motherboard (sorry if you knew already). Re power difference yeah your probably right but they should all operate within the regulated voltage window or it's faulty anyway?

If one psu powers three GPUs, and again with the other three then there wouldn't be a voltage differential right?

17. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

There may be no current per se, but the little wires for the signal are pretty much exactly the same as running cat5/6 cable between buildings.
    They require a stable voltage in which to send a signal over. So there IS power of sorts travelling along them.
    So there IS potential for an earth difference to fry things.

Think I'm wrong, short your USB(pcie) cables to ground. I'd put money on you losing that socket and possibly the chipset/cpu.

18. 426

426 Member

I have an 8 gpu rig with 2x 1200 PSUs.
    I have a power meter at the wall for both as a measure.

I've seen some weird things a couple of times.
    1 PSU was pulling 1800W and the other 300 at idle, but on reboot dropped back to 200/200 and at load were showing 620/640
    4 cards and 4 risers for each.

I had them both start at the same time with a bridge between the signal (green) and a ground at the PSU end and it worked the same as the multi PSU adaptors.

I had overestimated the maximum draw of each GPU, so its more economical now to just run 6 from a single @ 940 total draw for system+6 GPUs.

The glitched power draw only happened once, but I was fortunate enough to be present when it did happen...

The pico can also be powered via the server PSU with an adaptor, as can the EPS 8 pin on the mobo, with the correct cable.

19. im late

im late Member

My rig had originally the HP 1200w Server PSU with breakout PCB powering 8 x GTX1070's, 8 x PCIe Risers and of course the platform...

Worked a treat and only drawing a total of 1015w from the wall.

However the rig is now in the living room in my house and noise is an issue.

I have since replaced with a spare AX1500i that I already had.

The 10 PCIe factory connectors are powering all the GPUs and risers (there are 6 x PCIe 2 way power splitters in use..so 16 x PCIe connectors in total as my risers take PCIe power inputs).

I have also just left the GPU fans on auto, +150/+600/70W TDP/Thermal limit capped at 80 degrees (still more tweaking to do but sitting happily hashing 249Mh/s).

Rig is now as quite as a normal desktop computer... :D

GPUs temps hover between 65 and 75 depending on ambient temps and no trottling as well.

Fan on the AX1500i spins slowly and is inaudible..mainly as it it titanium thus the most efficient.

Going to be selling the HP PSU as no longer going to be using noisy power supplies. :thumbdn:

20. OP
    OP
    aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Myne - I don't doubt you mate, I'm a mechanic so anything between 12v and 60,000 is beyond me .... :lol:

426 - are they 1080Ti's?

Yeah I'm thinking more rigs with less GPUs might be the way to go (unless they are smaller GPUs)