Which programmable universal remote now?

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by Azrael, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Azrael

Azrael Member

Given that Logitech have essentially killed off the Harmony line, and betrayed the trust of anyone who bought into that system, I am on the hunt for a new universal remote. (https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...and-support-for-harmony-link-devices-in-2018/)

A few people have suggested the Xiaomi IR blaster, but it appears to need the rest of the home management setup for now, which I dont really want to delve into.

Quite a few friends in the US have various wifi remotes provided through their TV or cable setups, and something like that would be quite useful.

What is out there that operates in a similar fashion to the Logitech Harmony lineup?

2. guy.incogneto

guy.incogneto Member

Couldn't you use the harmony hub range?
    I read somewhere that they'll be giving link owners a free hub?

I don't know of anything that can compare with the power, range and usability of the harmony systems.

3. miicah

miicah Member

What about the normal Harmony remotes? Mine doesn't have a fancy screen or anything, but for $30 it's pretty damn functional.

4. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Unfortunately, trustworthy or not, the Harmony lineup are the only real choice.

5. nico6

nico6 Member

It's only Harmony Link, which is old etc. All others are still supported

6. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Yes, I was going to say, they aren't killing everything off.

7. OP
    OP
    Azrael

Azrael Member

I bought a Link just over a year ago, and now its basically a worthless piece of junk. That is even after my older Harmony has had the database stop being updated, forcing me to buy the Link.

Two rounds of forced obsolescence, no thanks for Logitech.

8. nico6

nico6 Member

What model did you have before the Link?

Over the years I've had to teach my Harmony remotes the IR codes to a few new/'no name' devices, so the database updates haven't actually concerned me too much, apart from the convenience...

9. OP
    OP
    Azrael

Azrael Member

I had an Xbox 360 one that had the IR receiver fail. Hence being unable to reprogram it with odd codes.

10. nico6

nico6 Member

Have you got a link to where the database stopped being updated? I think the database is common across all their IR remotes, and stopping updates would surprise me greatly, unless there was something unique about the X360 branded version. There is a lot of crowd-sourcing that keeps their database 'alive' - I remember having to add codes for a Soniq plasma TV in ~2006 (the famous 42 inch-er, the first for under $2K :lol: ), and when I went to add another device a little later, 'my' plasma was in their database. Pity you broke your IR receiver

11. power

power Member

12. Luke212

Luke212 Member

how does a universal remote work? like how does it know all the infra red codes to do stuff on different brands?

13. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

In the case of Logitech remotes they would have everything in their database I'd imagine. If it isn't then it is capable of learning.

14. power

power Member

most manufacturers just use a range of different codes and you can generally just cycle through them - even my phone can do it (has an ir thingy built in), it just tries each on that the manufacturer is known to use and asks you if the tele or whatever has responded.

15. Luke212

Luke212 Member

haha thats awesome.

16. power

power Member

yeah it's the benefit of software over "learning" type remotes.

17. nico6

nico6 Member

Harmony has a huge database of devices and codes, and as mentioned, the remote can learn new devices if not supported in the database. The best thing about Harmony are the Activities and customisable button assignments, delays, etc.

IR blaster phones are good fun in public places with TVs you want to mess with :)

18. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

It is actually indeed quite awesome when you consider all the devices out there. Their coverage of devices is astounding.

19. Steak Face

Steak Face Member

I have the Harmony 650 although it's only for our Sony TV in the bedroom so only operates the one device.

Overall it's good but the one thing that annoys the s&^t out of me is that it losses battery connection fairly easily, especially if it drops off the bed. That means you have to go through the whole intro/set-up every time this happens (not reprogram it so it works with the TV, it's like a first time user tutorial where it tells you what button does what and you press them to acknowledge it). The back lighting is cool at night though and one of the reasons I got it.

I probably should get one for the lounge room TV and amp....

20. nico6

nico6 Member

I have a 650 and this doesn't happen when I change batteries. It just boots and you select an Activity again. Quick as. Is yours configured with an Activity, or just a single device?