Which provider?

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Devices' started by L4ncer, Feb 2, 2011.

1. L4ncer

L4ncer Member

Hey guys,

Sorry if there is a thread somewhere like this but cannot find anything. Basically my phone plan if going to run out at the end of the month. I'm thinking about getting an iPhone 4 (yes like everyone else) BUT the thing is i don't know who to go with...

I have heard a lot of bad things surrounding Vodafone lately, poor service, personal files being broken into (haven't heard much about the file thing actually) I'm currently with 3 but they too seem not so good according to alot of people. So, I was thinking Optus.. they seem good, but bit more expensive than the rest? I was thinking of going on the 49 cap but optus for some reason has $13.50 handset repayment a month as a pose to $10 with every other company. Yes I know its only $3.50 more... but why?

So yes... Bit of confusion. Would like to know from those of you with an iPhone 4, preferably on the 49 cap. Who are you with and are they any good.

2. aurionix

aurionix New Member

Go with telstra- you'll get the fastest mobile broadband in the country. They ARE a bit more expensive but the advantages of Next G in terms of coverage and the new 21mbit speeds are rediculous.

I'm with Virgin and they're great but I only generally get about 3mbits (out of 8 possible) even with full signal, and reception can be very spotty. Virgin use Optus towers, so I wouldn't recommend optus either.

Though it has been quite acceptable..

3. Dommo

Dommo Member

Telstra with a Desire, geat coverage, but you pay for it...

4. aurionix

aurionix New Member

yeah, little bit pricier but they're definately getting more competitive.

5. miicah

miicah Member

I was unhappy with 3 due to NEVER being able to get a 3G signal and switched over to vodafone who have been marginally better. However if I even think of going outside Brisbane I lose 2g coverage :(

6. aurionix

aurionix New Member

Haha that doesn't sound right.. you should be able to roam onto other networks towers for calls/sms without any problem.

Even I only notice going between optus and other towers because it flicks upto HSDPA speeds (8mbit). But I still get like 1.5mbit even when not on an optus tower.

7. shiny1

shiny1 Member

All my friends who have Iphone 4s are with Telstra because of the coverage and speed. They agree it is more expensive than others, but it's WORTH it. Remember - you will be locked to a contract and if you go with a shitty provider like Virgin (so disappointed with them atm) then you will be raging for the most part. We pay for convenience, right?

8. JebusJones

JebusJones Member

I've been with Virgin for around 10 years, pretty much bought a phone at their Doncaster store the week they opened. Anyway, up until the smartphone revolution I've been absolutely perfectly happy with them. Their reception is great, service is exemplary, and I've always had a great experience whenever I've needed to call their call centre.

However, after experiencing "smartphone" use using a Nokia 5800 and now a Huawei IDEOS I'm 99% sure that when my contract runs out in March, I'll be switching to Telstra and preferably their NextG network.

My phone will auto update tweets, facebook statuses, sometimes even the weather, news and Youtube widgets work OK. However try and surf the web, try and update your facebook, try and read your email and you're pretty much buggered. Their 3G service (on the Optus network) is, in my experience, absolutely horrendously pointless. Just this morning I was on the tram and able to see some facebook status updates, but try and reply and you get a service/network failure after it sits there trying to post your reply for a minute or two.

Basically, if you wanna use a phone for calls, SMS and minimal 3G, then Virgin are AWESOME. If you wanna use smartphone features on a regular basis - IE the Internet - then go with Telstra.