Which PVR for me?

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by tobes, Aug 14, 2009.

1. tobes

tobes Member

I'm looking for a cheapish PVR that will:

play files (video and audio) off network (preferably wireless) including DivXs
    record while letting you watch another channel (preferably record two things at once but I can live without that)
    let you copy recorded files back across the network
    let you play music without having the TV on.

AND the big one.

Be easy enough for the Missus to use without getting support calls/bitching.

I've seen the Egreat 33h from our noble sponsor, but I am looking for suggestions across the board.

2. OP
    OP
    tobes

tobes Member

Some of you folk must have a non HTPC PVR sitting around at home.

Any ideas?

3. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

It's hard to get a good all in one device.

For simplicity, you can't go past the Apple TV (hacked to run XBMC or Boxee of course), but then thats not a PVR... if only they would build in a couple of tuners.

4. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

OK my 2 cents. I have a Dvico Tvix 5130 and an eGreat 33H (I think, I just got it after it had a holiday in the tropics :sick:). The Tvix is great, has hardly missed a beat, plays 99% of files I have thrown at it, only has a single tuner. The eGreat my parents used OS (somehow set it up) and loved it but didnt use the DVB-T functionality. I havent used it yet asI just got it. I will post back later once I have some idea of what it is like.

Edit; Both use a sigma chipset and the Dvico is older/discontinured model/chipset.

5. OP
    OP
    tobes

tobes Member

That would be awesome. I haven't heard much about the usability/stability of it yet.

Cheers

6. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

I will try and post a mini review and comparison on both on the weekend.

7. bungs

bungs Member

My beyonwiz dpp1 plays mp3/divx/xvid from my PC via ethernet. You can plug it into a wireless router if you want wireless support i suppose.

Has dual HD tuners. Can record 2 channels at the same time as well as play recorded or streaming video. Easy to operate and navigate through files. Can copy files back over network to your PC using some ftp software, or you can copy the files to a external usb drive/disc.

Has icetv support. You can upgrade the internal HDD to a bigger one if you feel the need. :thumbup:

Would definitely recommend. :thumbup::thumbup:

Mine cost $500 secondhand. Haven't regretted it at all.

8. Temjin

Temjin Member

The MVIX PVR would be my choice although I have not used it yet. (am planning to soon)

http://www.mvix.net.au/pvr_OverView.html

http://www.eljomedia.com.au to buy and/or to compare other models.

http://www.eljomedia.com.au/v/downloads/PVR_data_sheet.pdf

It supports basically "almost" everything the latest Divco TVIX could do, except that it also has the ability to play RMVB formats streamed from the PC using its MvixFTS software.

I have done a bit of research on this and I found my biggest requirement is for the ability to play networked RMVB files sourced from the internet. Most other PVRs do not seem have the ability to play these files, and this includes ALL the Divco TVIX series as well as the Beyonwiz DP-P1.

In addition, it has a single TV tuner for recording HD videos as well as other standard stuff like wireless connectivity to PC, time shift function, scheduling, internal HDD up to 1 GB, USB connection, etc.

Better yet, it supports the ability to dock iPod/iPhone's generation for musics. (not sure if its without turning on TV, but it looks like it obviously could by design)

The only downside is the unit does not have the codex to play MKV (H.264), MOV, RMVB by itself. It must streamed it via the PC through lan/wireless. I'm not sure how "effective" the streaming is especially through a wireless network. But it can certainly play all the videos you needed on the unit itself.

Only cost $335 new too.

If anyone has used this, please let me know your experiences too.

P.S: The official website states support "MKV (Not H.264)" via streaming, but the data sheet said it DOES but up to 720P. So this is another downside if it does not support 1080P, will need to confirm with the manufacturer.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2009
  9. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

Do you have any links to RMVB formats files? I would like to test this. Anyhow I dont stream much to my Tvix and I know it doesnt stream video from the net, only audio. Atleast it does 1080p, has H.264 support, wireless (2 USB sticks only) etc. I dislike the idea of having to stream stuff from my PC to a media player as I would just watch it on my PC.

10. grommet80

grommet80 Member

Which model has a tuner?

The one you've linked to supports recording from RCA but doesn't appear to have a RF socket nor space for a module.

I've got a TViX R3330 with Dual Tuner. Looking at getting rid of it actually and going to a dedicated PVR and streaming through my XBOX360 because I can't find a dual purpose device worth getting.

They all have something that would annoy me. TVix 3330 won't let you record TV and watch pre-recorded/streamed content and it's epg sucks. (Want to buy it? LOL)

TViX 6500 won't timeshift plus has the other limitations I mentioned.

Beyondwiz has poor codec support.

I can't remember what it was that annoyed me about the egreat and Probox(fiivo) now but I know that it would have bugged me. Mostly it's EPG and file transfer issues though I think.

(egreat won't let you navigate from a scheduled record, nor does it resume from standby, so if you want to scedule a recording it needs to be on with it's fan going, probox won't let you watch something else while it's recording. what's the point in that?)

Compro T1000W could be interesting, shit physical design though

Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
  11. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

From what I have read the eGreats dont support writing to the internal HDD if it is NTFS, will only write to FAT32/Ext2/3. The EPG on the Tvix isnt bad but not great either but I blame over the air epgs. I havent set up IceTV on mine yet. I dont think there is one out there that will do what most of us want on OCAU so many just build a HTPC. It all depends on what you want from the device, I bought the Tvix to use my 24" dell LCD as a TV as well as a monitor.

12. grommet80

grommet80 Member

I don't get any EPG untill I've been on the channel for at least 30 seconds, sometimes it takes ages for it to update to what time it is too which is annoying.

They don't seem to do nearly as much work on the 2300/3300 firmware wise as the 6500 either.

6600 looks like it could be interesting.

13. Temjin

Temjin Member

I guess I need to mention that I have a particular need to play RMVB (RealMedia Variable Bitrate) format because it is popular for Asian movies/TV series and Japanese anime. (my main source of video entertainment comes from)

This explains why most other PVRs do not support such format since it is not as common for Western movies, etc.

You should easily able to find samples of those RMVB format on the net.

If you have no need to play RMVB formats, I guess it's not a big selling point to you.

I too would prefer to play the files directly on the unit and not streamed from my PC. Though the ability to stream would mean I don't need to buy another huge HDD to store all the videos on the unit.

Another point I forgot to mention is that it has the MVIX Live feature where you can stream seachable YouTube clips, business news, weather and stock prices from the net.

The MVIX PVR Multimedia Player. Yes, it's a bit confusing because it doesn't have a "model number". It's called a MVIX PVR and that's it. :D

As for the RF/RCA connections, I guess it doesn't support RF since it's only used in older TVs? It is certainly a put off for those whose's TV only have a RF output.. Still yet to confirm if it is compatible with my TVB's set box for Asian based TV.

Building a HDPC does solve a lot of the problems, but seem too much work for me. And there is still the "mum's" usage requirement that I need to meet. hehe Too technical, it's a no go.

14. grommet80

grommet80 Member

I meant RF input, MVix http://www.mvix.net.au/pvr_tech.html doesn't appear to have a TV Tuner only recording from RCA inputs, so you'd need to have a settop box on and tuned to the right channel.

15. Temjin

Temjin Member

You are right, I don't think I've looked at it clearly enough.

Here is a review of it.

http://www.mpcclub.com/modules/Reviews/reviews/review_MvixPVR.pdf

It's definitely not a HD enabled player, but more than suitable enough for novice/intermediate users who only want to play back DVD formats, etc.

I guess I need to do more research and may have to give up the idea of finding one single PVR that does HD with tuner plus RMVB.

16. grommet80

grommet80 Member

Well, the TVix 6600 is almost here and RMVB are part of it's specs. Not sure if it's going to record in the background though, nor am I sure if thats a deal breaker for you.

Personally I'm going the beyonwiz route, I'd rather a decent PVR than Media streamer at this point. Dunno wether to get a $500 250GB DP-P1 off ebay or a new FV-L1 $320 for $650 brand new though. $900 for a DP-P2 is a bit rich for my tastes.

17. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

I will download and test some RMVB files over the weekend and see how they play on either PVR. I know the Tvix doesnt play RM files.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
  18. Temjin

Temjin Member

It's probably not a deal breaker to me now. I could easily acquire a dedicated realplayer media player from dealextreme.com for cheap and then use another PVR with tuners for scheduled recording/HD playback/internet access for youtube, etc instead.

But $500+ is a bit too dear for me..

Daft_Munt, you say the Tvix D5130 can play RMVB? Please do test and confirm this again. The specs may say it doesn't support but I never really asked the manufacturer.

19. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

I will post my mini review later comparing the 2. I dont have any RMVB media in my collection (that I know of). I will have a test tonight and let you know (a link or 2 could be handy).

Edit: Tvix 5130 has no RM support.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2009
  20. Temjin

Temjin Member