Which receiver? 1080P up-conversion & at least 2 HDMI inputs

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by Chris McMahon, Jan 31, 2008.

1. DarthWindu

DarthWindu Member

i realise that it's out of the OP's budget regardless, but just so people are aware, onkyo can be had for substantially cheaper prices from harvey norman.

i got an onkyo 875 for $2250 cash without too much trouble, about 5 or 6 months ago. that's ~30% off it's $3200 RRP, and that was back when it was a new, hot item (was the only HDMI 1.3 series of receivers available at the time)

if you could get a similar deal on an 805, it's not too far out of budget, and is a pretty impressive piece of kit...(however the 805 does not have the Reon HQV processor that the 875 has).

g'luck!

2. BRGMCS

BRGMCS Member

FWIW, I got a Sony STR-DG910 just after christmas for $880 from JB, it does up conversion to HDMI from any of its inputs. I have the following going though it:
    Wii (Composite)
    PS3 (HDMI)
    PVR (component)
    DVD (Component)
    HD STB (Component)

all outputting on HDMI into the plasma.
    you can even have multiple things on the same input selection, e.g. I have the both the Wii and PS3 on the same 'input' on the receiver and it detects which is turned on. You can rename inputs, so that one is just called "Wii/PS3", and on the Harmony Remote I have that setup as "Play Game".

It's probably not the greatest receiver in the world sound quality wise, but it does the job I wanted which is to massively simplify switching between all the different devices.

I'm planning to get some Anthony Gallo Nucleus Micro Ti's in the next few weeks too, to replace the mishmash of speakers I have on it at the moment. The Gallo's get great reviews, and meet the WAF very well :)

3. OP
    OP
    Chris McMahon

Chris McMahon Taking a break

I think it would be fairer to call what the DG910 does "cross-converting" rather than "up-converting". Since it doesn't increase the resolution during the conversion process. Of course Sony call it up-converting regardless.

The DG910 is definitely my "value-for-money" fall back. If I can't get a decent price on a Yammie, I'll save my money and let the TV do the upscaling.

I've been reading the threads on DTV about the Yamaha 1800b and it seems some Sydney people are getting it at $1400. It's rumoured the cost price is around <$1250. So I've got a bit more ammo to bargain with.

At ~$1400 (hopefully) with 4 HDMI inputs, true 1080P up-conversion and good reviews, I think the Yamaha RX-V1800b is the best choice atm.

4. Submariner

Submariner Member

Wow, what a nice price. Where are they getting it for that price? Internet site or store?

Those USL guys, in my previous post, have a price match policy, but I guess you would have to have a catalogue or Internet site price. If I could get a Yamaha 1800b for around $1450 including courier costs, I would probably buy one myself ;)

5. OP
    OP
    Chris McMahon

6. woo_yah

woo_yah Member

Hey that's me... (aeon) Yup, I picked up the RXV1800 for $1388, great receiver, does everything that I expected of it.

7. OP
    OP
    Chris McMahon

You never said who gave you that price. Any chance of a copy of your receipt?

8. woo_yah

woo_yah Member

That was from JB Hifi - and it was that price as it was "Cost + 10%" or something like that - so they wouldn't go any lower, and I didn't see a point to argue as it was a great price.

Pretty sure if you just walked in to JB and said "I know someone who purchased this for $1388 at another JBHifi store", can you match it, they probably will... (that's what I've done with other goods).

9. almghty

almghty Member

The 605 1080i to 720p is only on analog inputs.

Which frankly I couldn't care about :D

Flippancy aside, this is one of the receivers I'm seriously considering.
    At them moment that is also the downside but after viewing 720p content I'm liable to agree that i'd take that over 1080i.

All of my 1080p is coming via hdmi ..i assume its the same for you?

10. OP
    OP
    Chris McMahon

Looks like Yamaha just announced the RX-V863 in the US which compared to the RX-V1800 seems to be both cheaper, and have a few extra features.

I think I'll wait for see local pricing for the 863 before ordering my 1800.

Maybe the RX-V1800 will get a 2008 update soonish?