Which setup to play my PS2 and PS1 ROM backups

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by DeeMac, Feb 15, 2021.

1. DeeMac

DeeMac New Member

Which is the consensus unit to buy? Should I get a PS1 and a PS2? Or just the PS2? What mods (hard or soft) are required to play games off of memory cards or a HD? Cheers

2. hutts24

hutts24 Member

A PS2 will play PS1 games very well, but you will be limited to using discs. You'll need a mod chip for your PS2 to play PS1 backups and I don't think all mod chips will do PS1 backups but it would seem most do. There is an option to use a software emulator from BishiBashi special edition via 'PopStarter' but it sucks in my opinion.

Using FreeMcBoot and Open PS2 Loader for PS2 games, there is no need for modchips anymore. I have a slim and a FAT PS2 with hard drive. Personally at home I prefer the slim PS2 running games over ethernet because it's silent, but FMVs will stutter. The PS2 with hard drive is noisy but very cool if I want to take it to a friend's place with all the games on HDD ready to go. Loading times from HDD are great.

PSIO is available for the older PS1 models with a parallel port. It also requires minor soldering and cutting of traces so it's not an easily reversible process. It's a bit picky about game format but seems to work very well with the games it supports. Development of new firmware and fixes is very active.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
    baronbaldric likes this.
  3. power

power Member

MODE is also PS1 compatible now too.

4. hutts24

hutts24 Member

I just learnt there is an ODE called 'XStation' for PS1 and it's cheap too. https://castlemaniagames.com/products/xstation.

An ODE for PS2 would be neat - it could play PS2 + PS1 games from memory card. I would love that in my slim PS2.

5. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

We have FAQs for each console that cover all of these questions:

PS1: https://forums.overclockers.com.au/threads/retro-faq-sony-playstation.1252732/

PS2: https://forums.overclockers.com.au/threads/retro-faq-sony-playstation-2.1251162/

Short versions:

PS1 - XStation/MODE/PSIO ODEs all exist. Or you can buy a $4 mod chip off AliExpress and burn CD-R media. There is a MiSTer FPGA core in the works, but it's not functional right now and no ETA on completion. There's also "POPStarter" which allows PS1 games to work via FreeMCBoot+OpenPS2Loader on a PS2 (see below), however game compatibility is at about 50% or so.

PS2 Fat - "FreeMCBoot" (aka "FMCB") exists. Pair that with "OpenPS2Loader" (aka "OPL"). You can buy pre-baked memory cards with FMBC and clone HDD adaptors off AliExpress, however none of them have the network adaptor working, so you're limited to IDE or SATA disks only, however compatibility is high. Load games onto your HDDs with "HDL Dump" (command line) and "HDL Dumb" (Windows GUI). Official Sony HDD adaptors have a network adaptor and allow game booting over SMB/CIFS (Windows or Samba file sharing), also with high compatibility (network is faster than the max DVD-4x speed of the PS2). USB booting has lower compatibility and speed problems due to USB1 limitations.

PS2 Slim - Again, FreeMCBoot+OpenPS2Loader, buy pre-baked memory cards off AliExpress. No (sane) IDE/SATA options here. PS2 Slim has a built in 100mbit ethernet so booting games over SMB/CIFS (Windows or Samba file sharig) works really well. USB again is limited to USB1, so compatibility is low.

My personal home setup is:
    * PS1 with modchip, CD-R games
    * PS2 Fat with ModBo modchip, as well as FMCB+OPL, official Sony HDD+Net adaptor, local IDE HDD, SMB network mount to my NAS (SMB network mount being the way I play most games).
    * Both consoles output to CRTs via RGB/SCART.

Competent emulators exist for both. I recommend:

PS1: DuckStation: https://github.com/stenzek/duckstation/blob/master/README.md

PS2: PCSX2: https://pcsx2.net/

Both offer great enhancements to old games, including texture and geometry correction on PS1 (no more wobbly polys), texture upscaling, proper 16:9 camera adjustments for aspect-ratio correct widescreen modes, high resolutions (4K on a decent gaming rig), various filtering effects whether you want games to look retro-original or modified for more modern use.

DuckStation even runs competently on Android phones and with bluetooth controllers, should you want some PS1 on the go.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
    baronbaldric, hutts24 and badmofo like this.
  6. OP
    OP
    DeeMac

DeeMac New Member

Thank you. If I go PS2 fat route and install a HD inside the unit, is there a way to access it to add/remove games or do I need to physically remove it?

7. elvis

If you get an official Sony HDD adaptor with network, you can use HDLDumb to push games to the HDD over the network. PS2 games on hard disk use a special on-disk format, and you can't just bang ISOs on there unfortunately.

Alternatively, you can use HDLoader to rip games from original discs to the HDD, although it's not advised to mix and match HDLoader and HDLDumb, as they do ever so slightly different things with the on-disk format of how games are stored.

If you get a third party HDD adaptor with no network, then the only option is to physically remove it and load up games with HDLDumb.

There's also a tool called OPLManager which allows you to customise things, automatically download and install cover art, etc:
    https://oplmanager.com/site/

baronbaldric likes this.
  8. toe2toe

toe2toe Member

FWIW I've also had a good experience with epsxe running on nVidia Shield, although it looks like epsxe hasn't been updated in a while.

9. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

A jailbroken PS3 can play PS1/PS2 games to a certain extent too. It just depends if the titles you want to play will be compatible with the software emulation or not but this is potentially one of the cheapest and convenient methods to play both - again depending on your strike rate with compatibility.

10. OP
    OP
    DeeMac

DeeMac New Member

I just noticed a guy on Ebay is selling PS2s all setup the way I need. As well as Xboxs, Wiis - so convenient. Thank you for all your help

11. SLIMaxPower

SLIMaxPower Member

so many great memories

12. elvis

See my post above about DuckStation. It's far superior to EPSXE, and is available for Android from the Play Store.

pwlm1975 and baronbaldric like this.
  13. toe2toe

toe2toe Member

Yep, thanks, I'll give it a shot. :thumbup: