Which stereo receiver/input switcher

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by Azrael, Dec 22, 2020.

1. Azrael

Azrael Member

After a power surge on Sunday night I am looking for a new receiver/input switcher to pair up with my Class A tube amps for a main stage. I was running an old Marantz unit that is now thoroughly rooted (scorch marks up the PCB), but it was very useful as a phono preamp along with CD and MP3 (phone) player input switching.

It seems that these days there is bugger all available. Schiit make the Saga 2 (https://www.schiit.com/products/saga-2) which is a tube preamp and input switcher, but needs a separate phono stage. Or i can get DIY with a Muffsy input switcher (https://www.muffsy.com/muffsy-relay-input-selector-40) but knowing my current project list this will only happen in a couple of years.

What other options are out there before I start trawling the op shops?

2. neRok

neRok Member

Do you actually want/need a tube preamp? Is it even worth using a tube preamp with tube amps?

Do you have many/any analogue audio sources? I have an old Emotiva DAC (DAC = digital to analogue converter) that has multiple inputs and is also a preamp. I'm sure there are similar new models from various companies. A CD player should have a digital output, and would thus work. The only drama therefore is your phono requirement.

3. OP
    OP
    Azrael

Azrael Member

No, don't want a tube preamp, that is the main strike against the Saga 2.

CD player is analogue only (Sony CDP-207) so a multi input DAC isn't going to work overly well unless it has multiple analogue inputs on an ADC (such as the TA100, but that negates having an amplifier entirely).

Ideally i would use this opportunity to go find a Marantz 2270, but they have gone stupid recently. Often selling for $2k or more.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
  4. neRok

neRok Member

People with power-amps like yourself would be better off with PT-100 from the Emotiva range. Someone else might be able to chime in with alternative brands, I'm not sure. I was just looking at some secondhand options here: https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/forum/7-classifieds-audio/, but the ones I saw were out of your price range too. Or you could keep it old school like you seem to be interested in, but I can't help with suggestions there either.

If you've been plugging the phone in with aux cord, that means the phone has being using its internal DAC and amp, which means the quality is questionable (definitely variable phone to phone). And using that CD player means you're using its old-tech DAC, and whilst it sounds like a good one for its era, again it's questionable how good it is vs modern alternatives. Just something to think about.

5. pezzy

pezzy Member

solid state preamps and integrated amps often pop up in sna. there's a few that i vaguely remember seeing that are under 1000 recently.

theres also impedance matching if youre concerned with that. arent tube power amps known to be hard to match? or is that preamps?

6. OP
    OP
    Azrael

Azrael Member

oh nice. I hadn’t noticed the PT100. It does seem to fit the bill for everything I need.

Plus then I could try and find a manual control DVD/BR player for optical output (if they even exist any more) and use the DAC to take audio from an RPi for digital audio playback.

7. Hi-end Head

Hi-end Head Member

Really it defies the reason for using Tubed [Valved] PA, if you don't follow through with Tubed pre-amp. Your problem is that there are few makes / models around, with the same price tag of the Saga 2 . If any, unless you go with a cheap Chinese Model,
    As for Emotiva , Forget it Emotive no longer supply any models outside of North America. And offer no service for current owners. Eastwood stopped retailing any Emotiva models and went to Rotel, just about over night.

Your problem is quality Pre-amps cost , they don't come cheap, Tubed models are just about double the price. Makes and models to look for include Vincent Audio and entry level Musical Fidelity. In reality the skys the limit with regard to cost. One site worth watching is Aussie Audio Mart HTTPS://www.aussieaudiomart.com/classifieds/1-preamplifiers/ But prices for used / demo makes is high. The simply fact is people don't up-grade there pre-amps. It's all about supply and demined.

Another site worth a look is Audiogon https://www.audiogon.com/listings?category=preamplifiers The problem is most of the listings are for the US market and there subscribers, But there are Aussie listings, which don't last long. But it will give you an indication of just what's available, and at what cost.

8. Hi-end Head

Hi-end Head Member

9. Holdenkicks

Holdenkicks Member

A Marantz nr1510 or the new nr1511 will give you all the inputs you could need and acts as a preamp via its L/R pre outs

10. Hi-end Head

Hi-end Head Member

What your saying is correct, in fact any old amp / receiver with pre-outs would do the job, BUT that's not the OP is asking for. He has valved [ tubed ] powered mono bloc's and requires a valve powered pre-amp. What would be the point of mixing valved with SS. Your simply canceling out the valve sound. What works is a valve powered pre amp driving SS amplification ,

AS yet the OP has not said what make and model his mono bloc's are, Should he choose to do so, we would have a better idea of what he might need by way of a Pre-amp. Really without that information, anything we suggest is simply guesswork

11. Holdenkicks

Holdenkicks Member

True but sometimes budget does limit the choices. I can think of half a dozen tube preamps sold in my store but they are all in five figure territory.

12. OP
    OP
    Azrael

Azrael Member

Amps are essentially Oddblocks series one, so not quite your usual PAs.

Considered the Forewatt, but the costs are a bit silly now for a DIY

13. Hi-end Head

Hi-end Head Member

Yes I agree, with your thinking, Valve powered Audio gear, is expensive, and people who acquire it really if ever part with it.
    Earie Western's models come to mind https://westonacoustics.com.au/ Together with Pat Turner who unfortunatly has now retired, and no longer produces his masterpieces of audio perfection. http://turneraudio.com.au/
    Visions of old portly men, tube rolling, [by candle light ] looking for [ analogue ] perfection. the perfect audio sound springs to mind.

I think we might have jumped the gun with our friend and his search, for a pre-amp, His twin channel power amp turns out to be a DIY kit project http://www.oddwattaudio.com/owforewatt.HTML The Pre-amp kit pricing seems quite reasonable, when you consider, it will be matched with the same brand amp's. They are also very basic, bottom of the barrel attempts.
    Unfortunately, I see there American made, Will they ship to OZ, many American audio manufacturers simply won't, and they all charge over-the-top freight rates.
    Also how did you overcome the voltage difference, ??

14. OP
    OP
    Azrael

Azrael Member

Oh wow, seems the audio wankers have infected OCAU as well. I had hoped to avoid this sort of crap by asking on here instead of an audio forum.

Should have expected it when I was asking about replacing a 70s Marantz and got “five figure” recommendations...

Last edited: Dec 27, 2020
  15. Hi-end Head

Hi-end Head Member

I think that's hardy fair. No one has suggested high priced products, we have simply supplied examples of what's available. And no where have you supplied a budget.. What you don't seem to understand is that Valved [ Tubed ] amps cost what they cost simply because there not high production products,

16. phreeky82

phreeky82 Member

Unless you're a brand snob or have some oddball requirements, the brands still knocking out stereo products worth talking about are generally Pioneer, Yamaha, NAD etc.

I'll do my very best at not turning this into a rant about the manufacturers not giving us pre-outs!

Sadly, I just looked and Yamaha don't seem to have any stereo receivers with pre-outs :( What they DO have however is an WXC-50, but unfortunately no phono input so you'd need another solution there. Their lowest spec AV receiver that has mains pre-outs is the RX-V685.
    Unbelievably with Pioneer it also seems they've dropped pre-outs :(

The saviour might just be a NAD D 3020 V2. I can't believe that of all brands, a NAD product is the cheapest that looks to do the job. Phono input and all.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2020
  17. Hi-end Head

Hi-end Head Member

For pre-outs and phono stages you will need to go with the "YAMAHA AVENTAGE" range.

The problem with any AVR manufacturer is maximum profit over useability. Put simply they design the perfect product, then hand it over to the "BEAN" counters,
    The result is diminished availability of add-on's NO phono stages, Pre-out's, Componant, The Yellow/Red/White AV connection, 12 volt Triggers, We've got to the point where if you believe
    there reasoning all you need is multiply HDMI connections, and a set of speaker connections. Making your AVR a glorified HDMI switch. The single cable is all your going to need.

18. Holdenkicks

Holdenkicks Member

I have to back up what hi end head said here, nobody has suggested very expensive nor five figure products. The Marantz nr1511 I suggested has an RRP of only $1099 and if youre happy to wait I’m sire I could get you a new one for under a grand delivered.