1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Which virtualization?

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by v81, Mar 14, 2016.

1. OP
    OP
    v81

v81 Member

Quick, crazy question.

Would it be possible and/or stupid to use my nas somehow to host the virtual hard disks for my VM's ?
    ::edit:: liek iSCSI or NFS?

Not sure about random performance or IOP's, but it can saturate a 2GbE interface.

2. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Not stupid at all. We host all of our oVirt VMs over NFS, and we currently manage a third party's Hyper-V setup (not for long, it's going to be decomissioned soon) which runs all its storage over iSCSI.

You've noted that Ethernet speed can be an issue, and they can. Still, 2GbE is ~200MB/s, which still isn't awful (that's midrange SSD speed, in terms of pure throughput). But remember that you're sharing that with your regular network traffic, as well as other VMs. Latency is also slightly higher than a direct SATA connection, however client side caching makes up for a lot of that.

We run all of our storage with jumbo frames (MTU9000) to ensure that data blocks (4KBytes typically for iSCSI, and 8KBytes typically for NFS) can fit inside a single packet without fragmentation, which can benefit things greatly. There are other challenges to managing jumbo frames in your network, but they aren't too hard to deal with if you know what you're doing.

3. NSanity

NSanity Member

NAS is a good idea if you're replicating it.

not sure on MDADM performance and VM hosting - but in ZFS land you really want to be using Mirrors and have a SLOG for IOPS performance - simply because of the way VMWare (not sure on KVM) issues writes to the device.

In ZFS using NFS - a sync write is treated as it should be - and unless your system is built to do this at a rapid pace, VMWare is an awful experience.

4. bcann

bcann Member

We used to run citrix for CAD with GPU acceleration. I don't know wether it is supported for Geforce, but the stupidly expensive quadro cards we used performed quite decently, for the stuff we used to outsource to china to develop. We used both low end quadro's for 2d wireframe and higher end ones for full 3d manipulations. It was good because we could give random contractor X a shitbox citrix client box and they could connect to our good quadro engineering box's and do what they needed in 3d and it ran flawlessly on a little 5/5 connection.

5. OP
    OP
    v81

v81 Member

Tis a home LAN, and a lab / self educational environment (with the exception of a couple of game servers).
    The NAS is idle almost all the time, it now has 8GB of ram of which it seems to use as a massive cache.
    Both me and the missus smashed it as hard as we could with our GbE desktop PC's and SSD's (different read and write tests with small and large files) and i was shocked to see that it handled it, with the 2GbE link being the bottle neck.
    The NAS is a Synology DS415+ with 3x 6TB Seagate NAS drives running Synologys flavour of RAID5.
    Backup is done hourly to an external hard disk.
    1 internal bay is spare, which could be used as an SSD cache to speed things up more?

I tried to enable this once and failed, i suspect it was not supported by my modem/router or switch.
    I'm likely to get a new switch soon, and am now using a Ubiquiti router, so might have to try that again soon.
    Lots of changes around here, too much going on at once, and on project bleeds into another!

I'm really sorry, i didn't understand most of that.
    A google search seems to mention SLOG in the context of being a cache of sorts?
    MDADM from vague memory is a RAID solution for linux?
    ZFS is what FreeNAS uses if i'm correct.
    I've no idea what Synology uses under the hood, but i'm sure i could find out.
    Synology don't hide too much, can do a bit of snooping via SSH (if i knew what to look for).

6. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

That will depend on your NAS, and if it offers SSD caching or not.

You mentioned 8GB RAM on a largely idle NAS though, which sounds like a good chunk of cache for a home file server. If this is just your home lab, I think you'll be OK. (I've run more off less for stingy commercial users before ;) ).

7. OP
    OP
    v81

v81 Member

Yep, NAS supports it, though the cache advisor (a tool included to show potential gains from an SSD cache) doesn't think there will be a significant advantage give the type of data we hit so far.
    I'm sure that would change if i used the NAS for VM storage.

Click to view full size!

8. vader

vader Member

Yeah that's correct, only RemoteFX vGPU needs Hyper-V.
    Rest of the RemoteFX stuff is fine without.

Nah you can run pretty much any DX11 cards as long as they have WDDM 1.2 support.
    Having said that, I think MS like the GPU's to be server certified if you start chasing MS for support.