Which VPN service?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Akh-Horus, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

Had a good look, and even with going through pages and pages using the search function, there appears to be too many mentions of the vpn letters to find an easy resolution.

I am looking at getting a VPN service, what do people recommend?

2. brettmo86

brettmo86 Member

I would also like to know.
    I trolled through some whirlpool threads last night that had a lot of conflicting opinions.

3. _WearingPants

_WearingPants Member

Just bought a year sub to privateinternetaccess on the recommendation of a couple of work mates. running on phone, htpc, server and gaming rig. so far no probs. gets good wraps

4. ae00711

ae00711 Member

Torguard. Have been using them since 2013, cannot recommend them enough! :thumbup:

5. Sorak

Sorak Member

http://torrentfreak.com/ has a good review on several top ones, they even mention which ones use data retention and which don't.

I would avoid PIA personally, and any that are housed within the United States. Their NSA laws are pretty broad and allow the government to store browsing information even if the company doesn't. It might mean they can track you.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  6. mr626

mr626 Member

privateinternetaccess gets my vote. Only negative is that they are US-based (if you are ultra paranoid). But they claim to not keep any logs.

Also, there's a deal on at the moment- two years for $59USD

https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/189039

7. 3stars

3stars Member

i've been using private internet access one account and i have been running it on several machines at once

8. OP
    OP
    Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

Everyone seems to have something different. A quick google shows that a lot of reviews are proclaiming that their services are the best (funny that). Price - what price are you gents paying?

9. mick_champs

mick_champs Member

Very keen to see what people are recommending here.....

10. BBITS

BBITS Member

Since PIA don't keep logs what's the problem, can the US pluck your info on the fly?

11. Sorak

Sorak Member

NSA broad spectrum laws allow them to store all internet and phone information that crosses their boarders including websites and IP addresses.
    Since you're connecting to a server in their country all in going and out going traffic is logged and stored including your IP address. The only difference is your IP will always connect to a PIAs' server but the unencrypted information is still relayed back.

By some fortunate coincidence to this topic, John Oliver recently interviewed Snowden about exactly this.
    I recommend you watch this weeks; Last Week Tonight with John Oliver specifically the eighth episode in the second season.
    He's on HBO if you have Foxtel or... you know.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  12. BBITS

BBITS Member

ITUNES!? Will give it a watch, since ironically some tech stuff at work is down.

Fuck, where's my tinfoilhat :o

13. callan

callan Member

I'm happy with PIA atm. It seems to work with everything, even oddball devices using native, rather than the PIA-supplied programs. I've actually found their windows client a little flaky - going native instead of their client has proven more stable. Their Android client, however "just works". Doesn't mean that I'm still looking though, as the data retention laws ramp up. I've also used strongVPN in the past, and found them a solidly professional "business grade" operation. Performance, and relative lack of POPs was an issue with them, however: PIA seems to have the edge there, even if it's been a bit at the expense of overall reliability.

VPN pricing overall is very cheap these days, and there are a plethora of options now. It's not uneconomic to buy a 1 month subscription to several of them, and have a play with each to find which one works out best for you before making your final choice, particularly if you're doing weird shit like I am. (Multi-homing, non-standard clients/routing, etc.)

Somehow I think this subject is going to run, and run, and run.

Callan

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
  14. trevor68

trevor68 Member

maybe off-topic a bit, but for the peeps with a VPN, do you use a VPN router?

I was thinking maybe a router is the go to protect all traffic in the house, rather than just a client on a PC?

15. bbjayo

bbjayo Member

If you want all internet traffic passing through the VPN and your router has enough grunt (and VPN client functionality) then this would be the way to go.

I've configured openvpn for PIA on my R7000 running tomato. I found some some scripts that allow me to specify which IPs or ports go through the VPN and all of this has been working flawlessly for a few months.

bb

16. kombiman

kombiman Dis-Member

$33/yr PIA :thumbup:

Except I still can't download a car ;)

17. brettmo86

brettmo86 Member

I'm hoping it's possible:
    I'm planning to have a modem/router + another router bridged to it. 2 different WiFi networks, 1 straight out to the internet, the other through vpn.

Thoughts/possible?

18. mr626

mr626 Member

Personally no. My connection isn't fast enough as it is, don't want the wife getting annoyed that her facetwit isn't loading! :eek: I just use a VPN for stuff I'm concerned about.

Also, there's the school of thought that says it is more suspicious to have all your traffic over a VPN, rather than letting the mundane stuff go through 'out in the open'

As far as anyone who would care to check is concerned, my home internet traffic would look fairly normal- a reasonable amount of web traffic, plus some ssh / vpn traffic (which a lot of people use for work).

19. callan

callan Member

Eminently possible. I'm experimenting with various methods - so far the best one seems to be using my NAS device as a VPN router, but I'm still playing. Smoothly abitrating between VPN and non-vpn traffic is the pain.

Callan

20. whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

What they can do is force PIA or any US based VPN to hand over access to their servers, encryption keys, etc. They then threaten the owners NOT to say a word or they will be arrested and face 50 years in jail.

There's two points on "logs"

1. Companies lie, Hidemyass said it kept no logs but in reality it did and the US authorities used those logs to arrest several high profile anonymous members including at least 2 of the guys from lulzsec

2. Logs are only one part of the picture, if the US has jurisdiction over the company or the servers it has many tools in it's arsenal to get the info they want.

Personally I would not be using an american based VPN.