Which VPN service?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Akh-Horus, Apr 8, 2015.

1. NordVPN

NordVPN New Member

Try connecting to NZ server- many users report faster speeds on it. Also speak to our support on live chat ( accessible through our home page) to see if other setting changes might help.

2. pezzy

pezzy Member

probably not that accurate, but via speedtest last night at around 8pm, around 12mbps without and around 8mbps connected to sydney, melbourne, and singapore. netherlands was around 4mbps.

3. AFireInside

AFireInside Member

It also proves people are willing to spend money to get content, things like VPN's, Seedboxes, private trackers, Proxy's, DNS and Usenet costs all add up! I use 4 out of the 6 mentioned services as well as have Netflix and Stan accounts, as do a lot of people i know. Which to me really suggests it's not about just "getting shit free" but this isn't the thread for that argument...

I use PIA and they're great so far, currently just using the proxy but bought a secondary router to configure just for VPN traffic.

Any mention of what the fastest VPN is? Getting the NBN in a month or so, would like to use as much of that 100Mbit as possible

4. Ravennoir

Ravennoir Member

How do you have PIA setup ?

I would like it for just one machine in my place, and the others wont be using it

Is that fairly straight forward ?

5. kesawi

kesawi Member

Seems similar to the speeds I'm currently getting at peak times with my VPN provider. I was consistently getting 40-60mbps but that's changed in the last week since the DBC decision and more people are jumping on the services. The ping times have gone from 30ms up to over 200ms recently.

6. DuaNo

DuaNo Member

Does Nord allow P2P traffic through their network?

7. Da Madness

Da Madness Member

Funnily enough, I joined Private Internet Access to assist with my torrenting, however has my Netflix has opened up with the US my torrent usage has dropped significantly.

If I could get HBO Now it would probably stop all together.

8. AFireInside

AFireInside Member

If it's just for one machine you might as well just use their app, it works pretty well!

9. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

the only thing i torrent is blu rays, and thats through a private torrent site... wonder if its worth getting a VPN? would XBMC streaming be in violation of any aussie piracy laws??

10. kevin.dcunha

kevin.dcunha Member

That's another thing. If I'm a member of a private torrent website... Is it worth me getting a VPN?

11. Squatting_Tiger

Squatting_Tiger Member

Who really knows? I only ever use private trackers but still felt compelled to VPN. A side bonus is US Netflix which has more betterererer content as well.

12. brettmo86

brettmo86 Member

For ~$3-4 a month it's worth it for peace of mind imo.
    Especially with data retention laws etc coming in, tracking of your data is only going to get worse.

13. kesawi

kesawi Member

You're relying on the private tracker being able to adequately filter its membership base to ensure that one of these speculative invoicing firms doesn't get on the list. It's not that hard to get an invite to some of them so, it will most likely happen eventually.

You're relying on others using the private tracker turning off DHT and peer exchange within their torrent client so that your IP isn't shared with peers outside of the private swarm.

I'll leave it up to you to decide what the acceptable risk level is.

A potential issue with using a private tracker through a VPN, is that a VPN will use a shared IP address for all clients. A lot of private trackers have restrictions on multiple connections from the same IP address. Also I'm not sure if they use your IP address to calculate seeding ratios. If you're using the same VPN exit point as someone else who is leaching, would this blow out your seeding ratio?

14. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

So much this.
    Government doesn't know what their doing.

Most places I have been shopping around lately their Aus servers are max/overloaded, and experiencing peak time issues - not for me, since too used to quick NBN :(

It's a providers market from sheer search hit spikes alone (as linked earlier in the thread):
    https://www.google.com.au/trends/explore#q=VPN&geo=AU&date=today 12-m&cmpt=q&tz

Guess we will have to wait to the VPN providers finish scrambling to increase resources to cover local demand, before making any decision to commit purely for the performance hit.

15. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

I use Kodi with Addon Installer via fusion and then stream via Genesis.

That's a very valid question as there aren't any DLs nor the making a copy of the DATA or any form of redistribution by the streamer - thus not technically breaching "Copyright Law"?

This is being tested in the US and there are some interesting articles on this exact point:

How Sketchy Streaming Sites Really Work -- And Why Some Are Legal

Supreme Court Rules TV-Streaming Startup Aereo Violates Copyright

Which is contrary to a previous finding:
    US Court Rules TV Streaming Service Does Not Violate Copyright Law

Can I Get Sued For Watching Online Video?

Copyright aspects of downloading and streaming

[1]

So from that article if you are based in Europe and just streaming you have not broken any laws.

Many of these articles are saying it is sketchy, not clearly defined or resolved and in the Europe case Legal, certainly worth a lot greater exploration!

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
  16. rockuman_ex

rockuman_ex Member

done that, and tried on all servers, same result.

very disappointing :thumbdn:

17. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

again... seedbox... lol
    Its like people using ToR for torrents and wondering why its slow.
    though seedboxes yes do cost more, but I'd like DL speeds faster than 10Mb

torrents --> seedbox
    streaming other region sources / browsing paranoia --> VPN

horses for courses

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
  18. kesawi

kesawi Member

This is why I use a VPN, to stop snooping of all my traffic. It use to be workable, however there is no way I can route web browsing traffic through a VPN now as the speeds have taken a hammering.

19. caspian

caspian Member

I have not tried Nord so I can't comment, but Torguard works well on my Synology, and they have a well documented howto on getting it going.

20. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

I already use a seed box. This thread isn't necessarily about torrents..

So there is no decent web traffic VPN right now that isn't overloaded in Australia?