Which VPN service?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Akh-Horus, Apr 8, 2015.

1. flu!d

flu!d Never perfect, always genuine

Or....

Just use a VPN.... ;)

2. Copie

Copie Member

Sigh.

You do realise that even with a VPN, all your doing is essitentally using a different IP address and the data coming from/to your PC is encrypted. Being Torrents have a very unique signature (and anyone actively watching a connection will be able to tell that you have torrents going very quickly after you start)

These copyright trolls if they have access to metadata, will still be able to see that you made X and Y connection between your PC to a VPN provider, they just wont be able to see what the data is at all (depending on your encryption method, as some encryptions are still open for exploitation via DPI)

That all being said, what your giving them ammo with though is being able to link back your connections to a central source, and that particular source having something these IP trolls dont have. A billing address. If the VPN is US/Aus/5eyes based, then they can very well go after the VPN, which the majority of them will happily sell you down the river.

End of the day, there is no 100% secure way to download to which some social engineering cannot get around, with everything being logged now in Aus via metadata, they can link you back to the vpn with something other then an IP address.

The objective/goal here is to move yourself away from the low hangers (aka the mums/dads who use utorrent and TPB and do it all unsecured) as IP trolls only go after those easy targets.

As Mitsimonsta has laid out, there are other ways to secure your connection without running your torrents via VPN (and you dont get as big of a speed hit either)

By far and above the most secure way is a seedbox then run that FTP connection via a 256bit openvpn connection, means a single download connection, and if the seedbox is based in the right location (ie Eastern Europe because they dont give two shits about anything) and you are putting distance between you and the downloading, but again they will have billing details (unless you pay with bitcoin)

Anyways, you will always have a weakspot if you torrent on your PC (even if you run through multiple vpn's) is of course your torrent program itself, its a freeware program, so very open for exploitation.

3. mitsimonsta

mitsimonsta Member

Great, you are keeping me safer.

4. trevor68

trevor68 Member

so if the copyright trolls can go after a vpn provider, whats to stop them going after a seedbox provider?

5. Copie

Copie Member

Nothing. Its why you place seedbox's in locations where they have no legal power (ie Romania) no different to VPN's really (but it seems by reading this thread over again the majority are using providers within Aus/US)

6. Croc

Croc Member

anyone can recommend best/cheapest service for watching Formula1?
    not using torrents so i'm guessing i don't need all you can vpn

7. flu!d

flu!d Never perfect, always genuine

Yes, I know exactly how things work copie and I'm well aware than using a VPN for torrenting isn't ideal. Right now I'm using a VPN for Netflix and it works for me using it for torrenting as I don't have to pay for two providers.

My speeds are adequate.

8. mitsimonsta

mitsimonsta Member

Good luck to them tracing a Bitcoin Wallet & false details.

9. whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

Who cares? Torrents aren't illegal... yet.

So copyright trolls are now hacking into my VPN and decrypting my data? Lol hardly. First off that would be illegal unless the Government was doing it for them, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. Secondly I couldn't care less if they know from my metadata I connect to a VPN or anyone for that matter. Moot point is moot

Every negative you have listed here can be applied to seedboxes as well except for speed (allegedly)

10. Copie

Copie Member

And yet the entire DBC case is built on IP addresses, so yes it does matter.

11. patto

patto Member

You guys are living in paranoid fantasy land. There are hundreds of thousands of Australians bittorrenting. All you need to do is put make yourself slight less visible than the rest and you'll be fine. A VPN will do that.

Exactly and with a VPN they wouldn't have the IP addresses.

12. .Morphio

.Morphio Member

Well yeah they do, they have the IP of the end point you connect to. Thing is when they try to trace that back thry find out its a VPN provider. When they ask the provider for the logs they cant hand them over because they dont have any to hand over.

13. Copie

Copie Member

And yet as earlier in the thread. Just because they say they dont, doesnt mean that they arent keeping it quiet.

14. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

That depends on the VPN provider some keep a lot of DATA whereas as others keep nothing.

15. Apokalipse

Apokalipse Member

Your ISP knows you're connecting to the VPN server, but if the VPN provider does not keep logs, then anybody who wants to know who connected to the VPN won't get any information from them. The only way to know who connected to the VPN would be:
    • If all ISP's everywhere kept logs of who connects to VPN servers.
    • If the person trying to find out went and asked all ISP's everywhere who connected to the VPN server, and the ISP's gave them that information.
    And even then, the fact that you have a large number of people connecting through the same VPN server means they won't know whose traffic is whose.

16. patto

patto Member

Yep. And like I said, if people were really doing something nefarious then that is a concern.

If somebody is simply engaged in minor copyright infringement then it isn't.

17. OldnBold

OldnBold Member

I am trying to work out if you are being serious. I think you may be a troll. Cases brought against copyright infringers are based on the data downloaded (ie Dallas Buyers Club). If the copyright holder has no idea what you are downloading they have no case to pursue.

I think you need to learn how VPN's and the internet work (not to mention the law).

EDIT: On reflection I don't think you are trolling, just ignorant.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  18. caspian

caspian Member

expediency. they're only after low hanging and easily picked fruit.

19. xplod140

xplod140 Member

Can we please get back on topic? I don't think most of the recent discussion is relevant to which VPN is best.

20. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

a thread about vpn's in our meta data collection climate is going to grow well past the original question, no question about it.
    be thankful it hasnt turned into a which seedbox is best thread (so far :p)