Which VPN service?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Akh-Horus, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Very happy with PIA. Basically can't tell if its on or off without looking at the icon. Appears to make no difference to downloads via the Sydney server. I haven't been blocked from any sites that I can think of offhand.

I did notice flash wasn't working on a couple sites, until I realised that PIA blocks flash by default(its a potential tracking method apparently), so you have to untick that box if you want to use it.

I only turn it on when I am downloading linux .iso's really, speeds seem pretty normal to me and it always works seamlessly.

It could of course all be a case of the emperors new clothes, and I think PIA are protecting me when in fact they are doing a really bad job at it. I don't know if there are 'good' and 'bad' providers in that respect.

I know they don't keep logs, and they don't appear to slow downloads, that's about the only two parameters I have to work with apart from price, and realistically they are all close enough in price for that to be irrelevant.

2. AgB deano

AgB deano Member

I found trust zone to be terrible. Poor speeds, poor routing. IIRC they have a trial program, check it out that way.

PIA speeds are good (i've been a customer on and off for years). Commonly around 80mbit/35mbit. That said, I cannot recommend PIA right now. If you're a current customer, you shouldn't have any real issues unless something goes wrong, then you're fucked. Basically, PIA fired the entire support team. Their customer service at the moment is practically non existant. What this means for new customers, is you can buy the service no problem but it is taking WEEKS for them to forward your credentials to use the service. As it stands I purchased 2 years of service 2 days ago, still can't use it. I got my first "customer service" reply after 30 hours but likely only because of a post on reddit.

As for other providers, BlackVPN has brilliant routing, decent customer service and a good refund policy. You can game on that connection to their US servers. For me it was dead stable and went from ~220ms to San Jose, to 182ms, nil packet loss. The downsides are the speeds. BlackVPN at it's best to a local server location was around 35mbit down/35mbit up and at it's worst, 3mbit/35mbit up. Most of the time it sits at around 20mbit/35mbit.

I plan to test torguard when blackvpn expires at the end of the month. Hopefully I get a refund from PIA sooner than later.

This is via telstra residential 100/40 on FTTN, where I actually get those speeds. 92/19 to san jose aint tea bag.

Last edited: May 23, 2017
  3. callan

callan Member

Tried out NordVPN a week or so back - had a dreadful experience.
    Simple enough getting it going on my Synology NAS, (couldn't get UDP working, but the TCP setup worked well enough: more straightforwards than PIA).
    Had two issues.
    1: No matter WHICH exit point I chose throughput was unusable: about 10mbit with a strong tailwind. I get 80-100mbit regularly through PIA.
    2: Kept getting captcha's on google-hosted services, and blocked outright on most cloudflare sites. After testing 7 separate endpoints I gave up. I rarely get this on PIA, and when I do I just bounce the connection and get a different IP. Admittedly my browser plays a VERY dead bat to the sort of fingerprinting used to detect bots but this was ridiculous.

At least NordVPN were quick to refund my subscription. I'm still on the lookout for a replacement to PIA due to the network & ownership changes but NordVPN ain't it for me.

Any suggestions?

Callan

4. Cthom

Cthom Member

Metadata retention is effecting Australian for a long time. April 13, 2017: the ill-fated day when Australians will have to wave the final goodbye to their online privacy due to the new metadata retention law.

Using a VPN has become a vital necessity for all the users now.

Choose a brand that offers quality with all the privacy essentials.

5. AgB deano

AgB deano Member

PIA issues are fixed. Finally got my login credentials after 9 days of waiting and bitching about it on reddit - apparently the "head of customer service" fixed it. Feel sorry for the other plebs with issues, people are stating it has been weeks and they haven't got a reply.

The issue itself was using the "unsubscribe" feature at the bottom of most reputable emails received, which I frequently use to reduce marketing spam. PIA have been quite fucking stupid though, in that they block general, marketing and BILLING emails by default, yet support is fine.

Tried out TorGuard for a week. Discovered irony and false advertising. Torguard blocks many torrent websites and associated domains (including tracker specific domains and all associated direct IP's) for all australian servers, yet states torrents are fine on the melbourne server. Go figure.

Positives, they seem to have excellent routing from the australian sites and nil issues getting a refund if you wish. You can sign up for a lifetime 50% off bonus atm, so around $30usd/year.

Negatives, the speeds were around 50-70mbit multithreaded but 20-30mbit single thread to local sites.

NordVPN in summary - terrible speeds, terrible routing and terrible service. Their aussie server is fucking horrible, as is the app they force you to use. IIRC, it was ok if you manually set it up using .ovpn configs but the speeds were still shit.

PureVPN seems to be getting a reputation for being a top notch provider but you certainly pay for it. That said there is a currently a great deal going, $70USD for 2 years service with multiple australian server locations and clusters. Going to try them out next with the 7 day trial. Not sure how you'll go setting it up the way you do. On my to-do list is put together a DD-WRT router to handle openvpn, with a kill switch so it doesn't pass through traffic after a drop out and it's trying to reconnect.

Last edited: May 30, 2017
  6. whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

Tiger.. been with them 2 years. Not a single complaint

7. ae00711

ae00711 Member

I'd be interested in you PIA vs Torguard comparo.. imo these two are some of the biggest VPN services out there. I have had Torguard for years, very happy with them. I have nothing against PIA, however, I obviously have no need for a second 'premium' VPN service.

Make sure you tell us what kinda traffic you are running over the two VPNs!

:thumbup:

8. NoaW

NoaW New Member

I would really like to see that comparative analysis too. Looking forward to reading it.

9. UnCoNoob

UnCoNoob Member

I have tried a few of the bigger ones I started with torguard and they are good speeds at the time were OK but not great.

I switched to PIA and they are better I found for Australia they have plenty of local servers and I found no real huge problem with there service.

I have just got NordVPN they are slightly faster again on SOME servers I say some as first few days was slow and then I asked for a refund they asked what servers are slow so I went to do some tests and it was really fast, I am not sure if that is a coincidence or what but been good since though some time it seems like it drops out as the net will fail to load and have to disconnect and reconnect the VPN.

I have signed up for expressVPN also the other day as I want to test what one will suit me its a bit slower but still solid though havnt really tested it yet.

I need to do some more tests I will post them in here for the 3 I have now for people to see my results.

10. UnCoNoob

UnCoNoob Member

This is some test, this is at peak time so gives you a idea of peak load speed. I am also using the same server to test on in Sydney so the pings may be out on other state tests. but I find it the fastest and it will make them all the same.

Nord VPN is a bit of a pain as you can select the server you want from the location but they dont tell you the state its in they have a distance from you but found Sydney server says its 7000km away when I am in Newcastle and the Melbourne one is closer haha

Here is my internet with no VPN.
    [​IMG]

PIA sydney
    [​IMG]

PIA Melbourne
    [​IMG]

NordVPN Sydney
    [​IMG]

NordVPN Perth
    I had to try a few Perth servers a few I was only getting 13Mbps
    [​IMG]

NordVPN Adelaide
    [​IMG]

NordVPN P2P (Melbourne)
    [​IMG]

NordVPN P2p (Sydney)
    I think they may be using compression on this server as never have gotten this high apart from the 320Mbps I got from my own OpenVPN server I created that used compression.
    [​IMG]

Second test seems a bit more like it
    [​IMG]

ExpressVPN Melbourne
    [​IMG]

ExpressVPN Sydney Server 1
    [​IMG]

ExpressVPN Sydney Server 2
    [​IMG]

Hope this helps some people decide when they are looking I would recommend prob PIA first but NordVPN is pretty much on par and they allow P2P on some Australian servers so thats a plus though they are usually the slower servers to connect to but speeds still are usable if you have RSS set like me then speed isnt a huge issue till you find a movie you want right now haha.

11. NoaW

NoaW New Member

Great analysis. thank you. It would help me while choosing the right VPN. :)

12. Kosti

Kosti Member

Great stuff UnCoNoob..any specials on at the moment for PIA I think I will bite the bullet and jump on it :thumbup:

13. UnCoNoob

UnCoNoob Member

I am not sure but I know if you pay yearly its heaps cheaper but need the money upfront.

I have always been happy with PIA as I say NordVPN is good also but doesn't seem as stable I had it to auto connect at boot on my server but then after a day it dropped connection and nothing was downloading where PIA seem to run all the time no issue may get odd slow spots but never where it wasn't connecting at all.

14. money_killer

money_killer Member

Bullshit excuse just blame it on terrorism and it's ok .

http://www.watoday.com.au/federal-p...ccess-encrypted-messages-20170609-gwoge0.html

15. zeeps

zeeps Member

On torguards website it said sydney server isn't suitable for torrents.

Is this true?

16. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

I'm thinking the time will come where only "legitimate business use" will be a clause in our ability to use a VPN. This means I should starty a VPN Reseller business now. Cause I'd need to have a VPN to resell :D

any smart VPN provider is not letting torrents exit in any counrty where they would be held accountable or liable for that traffic.

PIA ship all traffic that looks like torrents to 'safe' server locations. even if you select AU, it will send the torrent packets to somewhere else (appears to be holland right now)

17. ae00711

ae00711 Member

^ this +1

re: torguard, torguard has always had servers that were 'compat.' with torrents and others that weren't

18. adya

adya Member

i just finished with NordVPN. I had enough. Ive used quite a few vpns. all the well known vpns. Nord was the worst. SOoooo Freakn Slow ! Their solutions and tech support were stupid to say the least.

Im now with Vypervpn. Really fast . Alot better service, doesnt disconnect all the time like Nord and alot faster..

Sadly i like to torrent..and they dont . So i may have to leave them as well. but theyre service is quite good apart from passing DMCA notices on to their users.. Just my 2 cents worth.
    Also IPvanish were garbage as well imo

19. UnCoNoob

UnCoNoob Member

cheers for your views I got a refund on nordVPN also as found they disconnect alot well it still says your connected you just get no internet lol.

20. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

I have used Pure VPN, and PIA and Express VPN

Express VPN is b y far the best if unblocking the USA netflix is your goal. It also has the best speeds but the highest price to go along with it.