1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Which VPN service?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Akh-Horus, Apr 8, 2015.

1. KriiV

KriiV Member

I've just got another 12 month sub to NordVPN, theres a coupon:
    (I THINK) that gets you a years sub at $4.00/mo. :thumbup:

Don't have a lot of experience with VPN services so not sure if the speeds are as good as others but I don't experience drops or connection issues :)

2. caspian

caspian Member

I just paid my Torguard renewal this morning, three years with them and no reasons to change so far.

3. OP
    OP
    Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

I keep coming back to this thread and keep getting confused about which VPN for me - in the middle of country Victoria. sadface

4. flu!d

flu!d Motoring and Intel forum admin

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  5. shippuuden

shippuuden Member

ive been using purevpn for a while now it seems to be fine, sometimes the netflix ips dont work but then it only takes a week or so before they get working ones.

are all the vpn services really all that different? as long as you have ipv6 leak protection it should be all good right ?

6. altefour

altefour New Member

7. BOR15

BOR15 Member

I have just signed up to NordVPN for 2 years for US79 ... they have a deal ATM

8. elvis

elvis OCAU's most famous and arrogant know-it-all

9. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I'm still with PIA, still happy. I only pay monthly, so I can always switch to someone else if the need arises.

10. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Are stacked vpn's better security ?

11. ae00711

ae00711 Member

12. zeeps

zeeps Member

Any of you guys running torguard from their router? I'm using it on pfsense.

Wondering what other options there are. Roll your own debian?

13. waltermitty

waltermitty Member

I'm using PIA via OVPN on PfSense but for plausible deniability rather than security.

If you're looking to roll your own, try https://github.com/trailofbits/algo.

This is okay if you like the kitchen sink approach https://github.com/jlund/streisand

14. elvis

elvis OCAU's most famous and arrogant know-it-all

Several reasons:

1) Their track record and openness.

2) Their constant commitment to open sourcing as much of their code base as possible

3) Their large volume of foundation, development, support and infrastructure staff.

Well I don't know much about their staff (only who founded it, which is meaningless), their developers, how many support people they have, nor have I seen any code they use. So to answer your question directly: I don't know what's wrong with them, which is what's wrong with them.

I don't necessarily *distrust* them, but for me, an absence of distrust does not constitute trust.

When it comes to trust, I demand openness and transparency. That means more than just being open source.

15. kogi

kogi Member

Not running torguard but auswrt-merlin on the rt-ac68u supports vpn and policy based routing

16. nicholasporison

nicholasporison Member

Still using purevpn. Happy with their service. Last week, I received an email from them that they have launched their advanced VPN features named Antivirus/antimalware, IPS/IDS, Web filter, content filtering etc which are mentioned here https://www.purevpn.com/advanced-vpn

17. nicholasporison

nicholasporison Member

Yes. Their sydney server is not suitable.

18. ae00711

ae00711 Member

there are a lot of servers unsuitable for torrenting - this is has do to with that countries DCMA/copyright laws or similar rather than torguard.. Curious as to what other VPNs do in regards to exit servers and torrenting - anyone?

19. waltermitty

waltermitty Member

Most VPNs don't have easy port-forwarding so you're not getting full discover-ability for torrents anyway.

20. DarkYendor

DarkYendor Member

If PIA detect traffic that looks like torrents in a DC that doesn't allow torrents, they put it in another VPN and redirect it to a different exit server.