Which VPN service?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Akh-Horus, Apr 8, 2015.

1. hanzzi

hanzzi Member

I have been using torguard vpn dedicated IP for the past month to use Netflix and its been amazing. I connect to there LA server at about 35 Mbps at the computer and around 25mbps on my Asus rt-3100 router. They had a coupon where it was 50% off and I payed $57usd for 12 months. Highly recommended.

2. ae00711

ae00711 Member

mmm ok, cool... that's a good way of dealing with n00bs who pick the wrong server :thumbup:

3. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

How is purevpn for Netflix?

4. Squatting_Tiger

Squatting_Tiger Member

Pretty good, to be honest don't use it for Netflix much, anything particular you were after? I can check for you.

5. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

just wanted to know how often you get blocked from accessing US Netflix through Pure VPN

i currently use VPN Unlimited and Netflix gets blocked 90% of the time

i used the trial for Express VPN and US Netflix access was almost 100% uptime, but is a lot more expensive (USD99/year)

wondering what the rate is with Pure VPN, which is USD99/lifetime subscription

6. hanzzi

hanzzi Member

I have a Torguard dedicated vpn for watching Netflix and it hasn't let me down yet. Its quite pricey at $57 USD for 12 months.

7. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

Yeah I don't get the hate for PureVPN.. Ive been using them for about 18m and I've only had a couple of problems with them

1. When I enabled their killswitch and then removed it, it left a firewall rule that killed my connection and took me ages to figure out

2. Recently I can't connect via their Android app but if I manually create the connection it's fine

I get about 90% of my speeds when I download and don't experience Ip leaks or anything like that

8. callan

callan Member

9. Copie

Copie Member

You sound surprised. All VPN providers keep logs or back doors, regardless of what they say

10. callan

callan Member

Your sarcasm detector must be on the fritz. ;)

No - I'm not that naieve. Even as careful as I am with my setup I'm quite sure that if I started discussing my mad bombing plans with my IS mate in Syria (j/k) over the Internet I'd have a visit from some men in nice suits and pointy guns pretty soon enough.

Rather my setup is geared for privacy and relative anonymity- which is different from and more achievable than CONFIDENTIALITY and total anonymity. Not to be low hanging fruit.

Rather ironically even though I don't use PureVPN, I installed the PureVPN plugin for Chrome as it's the only way I've been able to successfully turn off webRTC on Chrome.
    FF57 will make things interesting:tongue:.

Callan

11. Symon

Symon Castigat ridendo mores

I'm about to cancel my Torguard subscription as I'm only getting about 15Mb/s from either their Sydney or Melbourne servers. No Brisbane servers unfortunately.

Any Brisbanites out there recommend a VPN with decent speeds?

12. caspian

caspian Member

mine has been sucking for throughput lately too, and it also kills the amazon cloud sync service on my NAS. so I'm looking for an alternative as well. :(

13. zoki_007

zoki_007 Member

Few specials HERE you could give ago

14. caspian

caspian Member

thanks for that. :thumbup:

15. Symon

Symon Castigat ridendo mores

Just did more testing and for some reason it is only the download speed that is being throttled. On 50/20 NBN plan and I'm getting 14 down and 19 up, not sure what is going on there.

16. antikk

antikk Member

Would I require a VPN to use on my private torrent tracker? Or would it be only necessary if I was using a public tracker?

17. caspian

caspian Member

is there anything stopping the MPAA from signing up to that same private tracker and harvesting your IP?

18. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

You dont really need a vpn, a proxy would be sufficient for torrenting.
    But i still go a vpn ;)

19. AgB deano

AgB deano Member

PIA pulled their finger out again lately. They had some huge issues a few months ago. I stuck with them when I purchased two years of service for $50 and it's worked out. I've tried quite a few VPN's and if there is one standout feature of PIA, it's being able to configure your openvpn security very easily - I'm using AES256, SHA256 and RSA4096 respectively.

Before telstra started not providing what I pay for, I was actually getting around 90/35 with them to the sydney server about a month ago when I could be bothered doing speed tests. Downloading and uploading with torrents, quite often it would be using all the bandwidth it could. Best I've seen is 11.2Mb/s down, 4.8Mb/s using a private tracker. Most of the time it sat at around 10.5Mb/s down, 4.2Mb/s up.

Right now it's maxing out what telstra residential have decided to provide me for the last 4 weeks.

[​IMG]

Also, no go for netflix US. 100% proxy/vpn warning.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
  20. antikk

antikk Member

It's not just as simple as signing up. You need to be invited by an already established member