Which VPN service?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Akh-Horus, Apr 8, 2015.

1. AgB deano

AgB deano Member

If you think there is no risk, why are you asking the question?

If there is risk, why not use a VPN to mitigate that?

It seems to be a common theme with private trackers, for there to be some sort of implied safety. Private trackers are higher up the tree than public, no problem. You'll all be fine right upto the point that you're not. Of those people using private trackers that will inevitably be targeted by a multi billion dollar industry, do you want to be the low hanging fruit?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
  2. caspian

caspian Member

and are you satisfied that that process is secure and that nobody from a copyright chasing organisation could gain access themselves?

3. waltermitty

waltermitty Member

PM mods and check before you start using a VPN otherwise you may get booted

4. AgB deano

AgB deano Member

Telstra are supplying what I pay for again. Getting consistently good performance from PIA at the moment. This is using openvpn, aes256, sha256 and rsa4096.

Also, wife is streaming HD netflix in the background. Not a chance of pausing that :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. ae00711

ae00711 Member

nice!

I've been thinking of switching my NordVPN sub to PIA.. or even adding it

over the last couple of days I've been doing some serious torrenting - Torguard hasn't throttled my NBN in any way, getting about the same speeds I'd expect if just downloading normal :)

6. ae00711

ae00711 Member

ok, purchased PIA... exit server list is a little bare.. any recommendations which one I should use for torrenting?

7. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Obligatory XKCD:
    https://xkcd.com/538/

GumbyNoTalent likes this.
  8. waltermitty

waltermitty Member

9. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Your choice of cipher is so far down the list when choosing a reputable VPN provider it's not funny.

I'm a die hard crypto nerd too, but real world security is about much, much more than just the maths.

I've worked in big finance, with ex-spooks, and now in an industry that demands some of the tightest content security I've ever dealt with. Encryption is typically a single checkbox in a long, long list of thousands of pages of other real-world requirements when it comes to keeping content, communications and behaviour safe from prying eyes.

10. AgB deano

AgB deano Member

I put the information there as it implies an overhead. We're talking speeds expected, it's valid.

My paranoia is such that I've little doubt that there are already exploits out there for plenty of shit - are they ever going to be interested in me? I highly fucking doubt it but hey, might as well not make it easy. Stuff like KRACK for example has likely been known for a long time in very small circles but is useless by itself if even basic encryption is used. I am sure there are still plenty of exploits still available one way or another, trillions of dollars goes into "cybersecurity" for a reason. I agree with Elvis in that social engineering, human laziness and stupidity are far more reliable for attackers.

This said, the encryption puts me firmly in the "too hard, lower hanging fruit out there" category for "rights holders" and script kiddies but also generates effective privacy for mandatory data collection and other orwellian similes, especially with good "browser hygiene". My setup works for me, $2 a month is cheap and effective privacy. If I want a VPN that has just as good security, has better routing, is more reliable but isn't so fast, I'll renew my blackvpn subscription.

So, in short, I'm a paranoid tightarse nobody and like it that way.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    MUTMAN likes this.
  11. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

https://www.swissvpn.net

I have used these guys for a decade or more. Why? Switzerland has laws that protect SwissVPN as they have 0 traffic logs only session logs and data volume are recorded and stored for 6 months.

12. caspian

caspian Member

don't pretty much all of the major VPN providers state they do the same no-logs thing?

Swiss law or not, you have to get it in proportion. if you're just wanting to provide some personal privacy, make using a public hotspot safer, and objuscate your public IP for the purposes of file sharing, any of the major mainstream providers will be fine. if you're doing dumb shit that actually had law enforcement looking at you, then nothing will save you.

13. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

For any interested:
    https://www.privacytools.io/

I don't use a VPN atm but if I did nothing compares to Proton!

https://protonvpn.com/

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  14. ae00711

ae00711 Member

instead of making a new thread, thought I might ask here: when one refers to 'double VPN', does that mean a tunnel in a tunnel, or one tunnel after the other?

15. Joe Public

Joe Public Member

I've never done it, but i've wondered whether it was possible.

I thought it might be connecting to a VPN from within your router so all your internet traffic is routed via the VPN. Then from an actual PC/Laptop/etc on your internal network, run another VPN client connection (with a different provider, obviously). The VPN connection from your computer would be routed through the VPN already connected in your router. So it'd be a tunnel within a tunnel.

Of course, i have no idea whether this is even possible, or just absolute nonsense due to me not understanding the finer concepts of networking, etc.

16. ae00711

ae00711 Member

oh it's definitely possible, I have NordVPN and they affer it as a setting in their software - I'm just curious if it is 'a' or 'b'

17. cesardepasaj

cesardepasaj Member

I'm probably asking the obvious. Once you are connected to your VPN, is there any way for a browser to use your home connection instead of the VPN?
    I only ask as when connected some of my trackers will download and seed ok but the actual site comes up with a ban notice, no doubt associated with said IP address of the VPN. So, I want my VPN running but some websites to utilise the ip address of my home ISP. Probably no way of doing it, but it doesn't hurt to ask.
    Cheers......

18. ae00711

ae00711 Member

my host server uses multiple VMs, and each VM does a specific task - one of those VMs is for torrenting, which is obviously connected to VPN

that's how I do it anyway *shrug*

19. luke o

luke o Member

Both Nord and Tiger get my vote.

20. caspian

caspian Member

yep, typing this through such a setup now. openvpn tunnel from my gateway router for all local traffic, then work laptop does a tunnel through that back to my corporate network.