Which VPN service?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Akh-Horus, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Gunna

Gunna Member

I signed up to PIA about 3 years ago however I only have torrent traffic going over the VPN, all other traffic routes locally.

2. StratosFear

StratosFear Member

How the hell are you getting 10.1MB on PIA? What internet connection/provider you running?

3. Gunna

Gunna Member

I get that as well, sometimes it goes as low as 2MB but generally it is 10MB. I have 100/40 FTTP

4. StratosFear

StratosFear Member

Looks like I need to revisit them. Last time I tried (a few years ago) I was lucky to hit 3MB. But that was on Optus Cable. I'm on ABB now so will try them again.

They are doing a 1 year $15(US) deal on humble bundle atm so worth a shot
    Cheers.

5. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Totally depends on how many seeds etc of course, but with enough seeds I've seen as high as 18MB/s. I'm with ABB on 100/40 HFC. which gives me a totally consistent 95+/37+, even at peak times. NZ is generally a pretty slow server too, not sure why I was running through that. Just picked one at random. I can run the stepdaughters US Netflix account at full speeds too, apparently most VPN's don't do so well. And they don't keep logs :thumbup:

The only site I have issues with is Facebook strangely enough, but I only really use the VPN for torrenting and Netflix, the former mostly for anonymity and the latter for region limited bypassing,

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  6. StratosFear

StratosFear Member

Cheers. Yeah I'd given up as all the VPN's I'd tried on Optus and Telecube gave me terrible speed, but now that I'm with ABB I should give them another go. You've proven it wasn't the fault of the VPN provider but moreso optus/telecube.

Thanks

Ratzz likes this.
  7. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

10-11MB/s the maximum throughput for 100Mbps..

8. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I wasn't kidding. I have no idea what the max is but I've seen 18.

9. Gunna

Gunna Member

You can't get 18 megabytes a second on a 100 megabit connection. You would need a 200 megabit connection (200megabits/8 bits = 25 megabytes) in real world you device by 10 to allow for overheads so would get 20 megabytes per second

10. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Maybe I'm misremembering it, I dunno. Might have been 1.8 I guess.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  11. whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

I get about 3-7 with tiger on my 100 depending on peers

12. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

PIA will reroute your torrent traffic to where ever they feel wont cause issues with the content people, regardless of what exit point you choose

13. Sipheren

Sipheren Member

I have been using PIA on pfsense for a couple of years now, the speed is awesome (when Telstra feels like working that is :) )

[​IMG]

14. DarkYendor

DarkYendor Member

When I first started using PIA it was slow, as the OpenVPN TAP driver was only capable of 10Mbps. Since that's been upgraded, I can now max out my 100/40 FTTN connection on a torrent with good seeds.

One thing to note: if you use port forwarding on PIA for torrents, the servers that forwarding is available on changed last month. If you're using the Windows App it probably doesn't matter, but it broke the scripts on my linux download box until I changed the ovpn file to another server. Just FYI.

MUTMAN likes this.
  15. magao

magao Member

FTTN ~60Mbps down/30Mbps up (tested via http://speed.aussiebroadband.com.au/ - restricted to Aussie Broadband IPs).

I have a lifetime subscription with Celo VPN (got it at a very reduced price, and doesn't look like they offer lifetime anymore). Allows 5 concurrent connections. I normally have a tunnel to the AU, US and JP servers up, with a local proxy.pac directing web traffic appropriately (each tunnel is in an LXC container on my QNAP, with a SOCKS5 proxy). The AU and US servers don't allow P2P traffic, but most of the other servers do. Very good support - they did a major change to their servers recently and the AU server had problems afterwards - I worked with them to resolve it.

Via the AU server and the right speedtest server I'm getting ~20Mbps down right now (OpenVPN). Using the JP server for P2P I consistently get ~25Mbps down (but significantly higher latency than the AU server) - speedtest results are considerably lower (~10Mbps). Using the Swiss (CH) server for P2P I only get ~15Mbps down P2P.

I use ibVPN as a backup VPN provider (have it at half price, ongoing, due to taking advantage of a sale - had it before getting Celo). Only get 1 concurrent connection, so it's always set to a P2P server. Speeds tend to be lower than Celo, but acceptable. If a Celo tunnel goes down I've got it configured to automatically redirect traffic to the ibVPN tunnel container.

I also have a free ProtonVPN subscription which is my final backup, but most of the time it won't pass any traffic so it's fairly useless. If the ProtonVPN was acceptable I'd drop ibVPN.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
  16. miicah

miicah Member

Any free VPNs that come with browser plugins? Looking to have a browser that I just use for visiting sites that Telstra has deemed inappropriate for my eyes.

17. DarkYendor

DarkYendor Member

VPNs aren't cheap to run. If someone is giving you a VPN for free, ask yourself what's in it for them?

18. miicah

miicah Member

If they want to see my search history for masterchef torrents then they are welcome to it :)

19. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

change your DNS settings to point to 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4 and browse away

20. Symon

Symon Castigat ridendo mores

Anyone else having issues with ProtonVPN at the moment? Seems completely borked, and no response from their tech support yet...