Which VPN?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by BobJustBob, Sep 13, 2019 at 4:18 PM.

1. BobJustBob

BobJustBob Member

if you want to help me, reply with what vpn software you use, the link to it and the price you pay and any discount coupons you know of that work.

which vpns are good and not slow as hell and reasonably priced (around $100/year at most) and "bypass" vpn checks. if one doesn't pass a check, it almost always means they are cucked and want to "comply" with netflix or whatever.

finally, i used to use nord vpn once, before they got "big". seems lately they advertise like crazy on youtube videos. i know when netflix came to australia or changed something some years back they got a lot of extra members and it slowed to a crawl, though i was already not using them by then. if you are a nord user for last 2 years or longer, how is it now? any issues?

i'm interested in US servers only, so if it has no reliable US servers, not interested. (it's good if it has more, but for my needs only US matters)

may the gods of happiness smile on those (and only those) who reply to help.

2. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

I use nordvpn currently, mostly for high seas related things. Amazon prime video IMMEDIATELY picked it up and blocked my access until i turned it off on my nvidia shield...

I think I paid about $100usd for 3 years ($33 per year I suppose)

3. OP
    OP
    BobJustBob

BobJustBob Member

so amazon prime video now works or not? (i assume you're using a US address too on top) can you use the proxy link and see if it detects a vpn? iirc last time i used nord it passed, but i would not be surprised if they cucked.

and you say noting of speed. you can watch streaming at 1080 or higher with no delays/etc?

4. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

I don't use it for region spoofing So I can't help you there. I couldn't use aussie prime video at all with nordvpn enabled even set to Australia

Netflix streaming seemed a little gimped with it enabled but twitch was fine

5. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

We use Express VPN, they are not the cheapest but Netflix US, Prime US and Hulu/HBO @ 1080p works fine, wide range of other countries to choose from for geo-block stores, etc.
    https://www.expressvpn.com/

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019 at 1:03 PM
  6. T1tan

T1tan Member

expressvpn.

I have 100mbit fttn connection w/ about 92mbit on speedtest.net, 1080p requires about 6mbit solid. I can get about 80mbit on AU and 75mbit on US servers. At those speeds, my entire network minus a few devices is more or less on expressvpn AU, and my media devices and one wireless router are on expressvpn US servers.

This setup is a little taxing for most router hardware if doing concurrent encrypted tunnels/'high bandwidth' tunnels, I use pfsense, but express have router firmware for wrt routers that can do this (it's called split tunneling - diverting traffic to different tunnels based on source and/or destination).

Netflix is guaranteed - every few months it stops working for a day. HBO works well too. Hulu is painful to maintain so I don't bother. I have exceptions for amazon servers in place as vpn + prime video doesn't work well - that's fine though as I think prime is pretty light as far as AU licensing already being owned by foxtel.

Some sites won't work predictably with a vpn, like thelott.com and some banking sites may give you grief, they are worth making exceptions for though as it allows your security to be tracked anyway. I think it's a security mechanism built into some signon functionality on some websites - this isn't my area of expertise so that's pure conjecture.

You say $100 limit but to be honest, whatever expressvpn is charging is well worth the reliability, consistency and speed. It just works, I've tried others but had mixed results. I'd go expressvpn again in a heartbeat.

While my post probably reads like it, I am not a salesperson or affiliate for expressvpn :lol: but if you sign up im more than happy to take a referral bonus hehe.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019 at 7:49 PM