Which VPN?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by BobJustBob, Sep 13, 2019.

1. BobJustBob

BobJustBob Member

if you want to help me, reply with what vpn software you use, the link to it and the price you pay and any discount coupons you know of that work.

which vpns are good and not slow as hell and reasonably priced (around $100/year at most) and "bypass" vpn checks. if one doesn't pass a check, it almost always means they are cucked and want to "comply" with netflix or whatever.

finally, i used to use nord vpn once, before they got "big". seems lately they advertise like crazy on youtube videos. i know when netflix came to australia or changed something some years back they got a lot of extra members and it slowed to a crawl, though i was already not using them by then. if you are a nord user for last 2 years or longer, how is it now? any issues?

i'm interested in US servers only, so if it has no reliable US servers, not interested. (it's good if it has more, but for my needs only US matters)

may the gods of happiness smile on those (and only those) who reply to help.

2. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

I use nordvpn currently, mostly for high seas related things. Amazon prime video IMMEDIATELY picked it up and blocked my access until i turned it off on my nvidia shield...

I think I paid about $100usd for 3 years ($33 per year I suppose)

3. OP
    OP
    BobJustBob

BobJustBob Member

so amazon prime video now works or not? (i assume you're using a US address too on top) can you use the proxy link and see if it detects a vpn? iirc last time i used nord it passed, but i would not be surprised if they cucked.

and you say noting of speed. you can watch streaming at 1080 or higher with no delays/etc?

4. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

I don't use it for region spoofing So I can't help you there. I couldn't use aussie prime video at all with nordvpn enabled even set to Australia

Netflix streaming seemed a little gimped with it enabled but twitch was fine

5. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

We use Express VPN, they are not the cheapest but Netflix US, Prime US and Hulu/HBO @ 1080p works fine, wide range of other countries to choose from for geo-block stores, etc.
    https://www.expressvpn.com/

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
  6. T1tan

T1tan Member

expressvpn.

I have 100mbit fttn connection w/ about 92mbit on speedtest.net, 1080p requires about 6mbit solid. I can get about 80mbit on AU and 75mbit on US servers. At those speeds, my entire network minus a few devices is more or less on expressvpn AU, and my media devices and one wireless router are on expressvpn US servers.

This setup is a little taxing for most router hardware if doing concurrent encrypted tunnels/'high bandwidth' tunnels, I use pfsense, but express have router firmware for wrt routers that can do this (it's called split tunneling - diverting traffic to different tunnels based on source and/or destination).

Netflix is guaranteed - every few months it stops working for a day. HBO works well too. Hulu is painful to maintain so I don't bother. I have exceptions for amazon servers in place as vpn + prime video doesn't work well - that's fine though as I think prime is pretty light as far as AU licensing already being owned by foxtel.

Some sites won't work predictably with a vpn, like thelott.com and some banking sites may give you grief, they are worth making exceptions for though as it allows your security to be tracked anyway. I think it's a security mechanism built into some signon functionality on some websites - this isn't my area of expertise so that's pure conjecture.

You say $100 limit but to be honest, whatever expressvpn is charging is well worth the reliability, consistency and speed. It just works, I've tried others but had mixed results. I'd go expressvpn again in a heartbeat.

While my post probably reads like it, I am not a salesperson or affiliate for expressvpn :lol: but if you sign up im more than happy to take a referral bonus hehe.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  7. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I've noticed they've had a lot of discounts going over the last few months.

8. lxboston

lxboston Member

Express VPN is good. Very fast, and US Netflix works great.

9. dimension11

dimension11 Member

VPN blocking with streaming services is abit of a Cat and Mouse game, kinda like with AV. The streaming services are now moving to hardcoded blocking of the IP end points, where they literally just download the *VPN server list and just blacklist every single of the IPs. Nothing much the VPN companies can really do except spin up more or different servers (with different IPs).

I've used ExpressVPN and NordVPN in the past, both work well, although if you're more technically minded you may want to consider rolling your own with a cloud service like Digital Ocean, which would bypass the IP blocking.

10. OP
    OP
    BobJustBob

BobJustBob Member

ok so for my needs i went with 3 years nord for 150aud. (with 75% off, which is almost always available so obviously they want the discounted price to be the normal price, and use this 75% off as psychology to sucker people) anyway, that's $50/year which is reasonable. i also like that now i don't have to "worry" for 3 years. (hopefully they stay in business. though worst case, i factor in losing $150 and that's doable for me right now, and technically already done. most likely unlikely, but just saying.)

i actually only use vpn rarely. like buying some pc games at non geo locked prices (though that part very rarely!) or more importantly uncensored. maybe watch a YT video from time to time that is only in US or whatever. that's about it. and yes, using a vpn to make myself in US for games -from time to time, not that often- is already worth it for me. i am super ocd about censorship. to me it's not at all about saving money like for many others. it's only about cucked games. no sir, not for me.

=======================================================================================================================================

finally, i have a question. as far as i know the way sites query a user's ip is via the browser. is that right? let's take it step by step. and i'm talking only when visiting sites via regular browsers, nothing extra.

11. dimension11

dimension11 Member

Websites have no need to "query" the browser for a users IP address since by definition the user's IP address is included in packet that you send the website.

Browsers have access to your IP but only the one system uses internally which 99.9% of the time its192.168.x.x which is useless other than to fingerprint you.

A good place to test your connection is www.ipleak.net which uses a variety of common methods to attempt to get your real info or ascertain if you're behind a VPN

12. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

13. OP
    OP
    BobJustBob

BobJustBob Member

yes, but hang on, does the packet and any and all back and forth to a website not only use the browser? if so, the browser is the "snitch", and as such, one of my theories is that someone could make a browser that doesn't confirm to these "rules" (which are not law) and send fake ips as you want.
    in fact i remember reading that firefox (as one example) sends the geo ip data at start via some command and that if you complied your own version (knowing what you're doing) you could make a fake sending one. right now i won't spend much time following up, but i am almost something like a "custom" browser that sends whatever ip you want is possible.

o/s > browser > website (1/2/3)

3 can't touch 1 without 2. if we can have a 2 that behaves the way we want...

yes, and all that info is sent (snitched) via your browser right? the website doesn't somehow bypass the browser and gather all that by other means right?

control fully the browser, and you control your destiny. or something like that...

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  14. dimension11

dimension11 Member

Ultimately it's not about who's snitching on who, it's about the website and your computer needing to know where to send the traffic to. For a TCP connection you simply cannot spoof your IP address, say you put in a fake IP address, then the website would send the webpage you're requesting to that fake IP address, not your computer, and you wouldn't be able to view the webpage.

The browsers do alot to limit what websites can do to your OS yes, but ultimately it's a trade off between security and convenience. Yes you can disable all cookies but you wouldn't be able to log into websites. You can step that down and delete them when you close your browser but that would mean that everytime you open the website you have to re-login again. Same goes for just about everything else. You can disable scripting but that means that virtually every website on the internet won't work at the moment. Or you can use a program like uBlock Origin to selectively disable scripting on some websites that you don't trust.

You can of course make a browser that doesn't "conform" to these rules, but alot of what websites use to spy on you or fingerprint are part of normal functionality. For example, they use screen resolution as a data point, however, the ability to get the screen resolution is a very useful thing for websites to do for Eg. responsive design.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019